PDA

View Full Version : Spanish before English?

ImagiAsh
07-23-2007, 12:22 PM
I apologize in advance if this topic has already been discussed.

My family and I returned from our trip to WDW just a few days ago. While there, we were surprised to hear instructions or greetings to rides/shows announced in Spanish before English. There were three instances I noticed this, but I can only recall the location of two at the moment: 1) the parking lot tram in MGM 2) The Little Mermaid Show in MGM. This post has no intention to offend anybody, but it was just a difference from past visits that stood out to us. Has anyone else noticed this? Of course I know that America is very culturally diverse and Disney has many international visitors, but I think it's only fair to start the attraction announcements in the language of the given country.

scooterca42
07-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Is it possible that they sort of - well - alternate? I worked for Tour of the Universe here in Toronto (and we had Imagineers coming through while they were researching and designing the ride engine for Star Tours, that was a treat! And it also dates me so just ignore that part) and we had a couple of flights each day where we introduced in French first then English. Mind you, French is an official language of Canada, I don't know if the US has two official languages but Spanish would be a logical one. :confused:

Anyway, maybe there are three or four a day where Spanish is first?

Cast Members? Anyone know? Interesting question.:scratch:

Stu29573
07-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Actually, I don't think the U.S. has any official language (there was a big flap about that recently, but I'm not sure what happened) Living in north Texas, I sometimes see things in Spanish first and sometimes just in Spanish. I'm kind of used to it now, but it used to startle me a bit. Granted, I can figure out Spanish fairly well now....:mickey:

LibertyTreeGal
07-23-2007, 01:45 PM
I noticed that at DL this week too -- I noticed it in the Haunted Mansion, and I know it wasn't that way in March, so this is something new everywhere maybe?

And yes, America has no official language -- I think it was at first due to the fact that we were a country of immigrants but now it comes down to political correctness.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
07-23-2007, 02:25 PM
I think the announcements are on a loop so there's probably no intentional order.

And as there is no official language in America as it was never specified in the constitution or any later documents, I think it's just a response to current market pressures. Why not? We are a laissez-faire, ah, free market economy after all! Maybe in 50 years, the new "second language" will go back to French? : )

Disney Doll
07-23-2007, 02:25 PM
I guess I never really paid that much attention. I do remember hearing announcements in Spanish, but if it was Spanish before English I just assumed it has always been that way. So you guys are saying that announcements used to first come in English and then in Spanish? Maybe the change is due to the fact that as an English speaking person in Florida you can safely assume that all announcements will be made in English even if you have to wait through the Spanish version first. The reverse is not always true so it is more courteous to make the Spanish announcement first so that those guests are confident they know what is going on. Those of us who speak English know we will be taken care of. Does that make sense? I welcome the Spanish announcements and I also think the headsets that Disney has for other languages are brilliant.

On a side note, no the U.S. does not have an official language. I don't think it is so much for political correctness, but for the many other serious issues that come along with having only one official language. In Oklahoma the official language thing was very controversial because we have several Native American languages that are still spoken in our state. Plus, when there is an official language it severely limits access to those who may not speak English as their primary language. I am a well-educated, life long English speaker and I still have trouble with the confusing wording on the ballots. I'm glad that without an official language, U.S. citizens can get ballots in languages other than English.