PDA

View Full Version : Girls and handbags!!!!

Tinkerbellpower
07-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Hey
Just a quick question.. i carry around my 'essentials' in a handbag.. as do many of you i'm sure!! BUT when going round parks are they annoying? I just had a thought.. like on rides, stuff could be lost by falling out or if there are places to put them when your on a ride then things could be stolen? My boyfriend doesn't want to carry around a rucksack and i guess neither do i so everythings going to be plonked in my handbag! Any ideas or advice on what you find best would be reassuring thankssss xx:secret:

kakn7294
07-23-2007, 11:56 AM
I always have trouble deciding on a bag for the parks. I've used a purse, a fanny pack, a backpack - you name it, I've tried it! I like my fanny pack because it leaves hands free and holds everything I need but they are so unattractive, especially on those of us who are a little pleasantly plump. This trip, I'm taking a small drawstring backpack - no one can access it without me knowing, taking away the worry that someone is stealing from my bag when I'm not paying attention. Whatever bag you choose, it's best to have something that is fully closed by a zipper so your belongings don't end up all over Disney World.

faline
07-23-2007, 11:58 AM
I most always use a fanny pack while at Disney World. It's just so much easier to know that my belongings are always with me and aren't in my way when I try to do something!

LauraF
07-23-2007, 12:37 PM
I carry a lightweight backpack that can collapse into a fanny pack. Usually I can carry everything in the fanny pack portion, but if I need to bring more stuff I use the backpark part. (Or I can start out the day with a lot of stuff that's disposed of along the way and not be carrying a huge bag.) It was a promo item given to me by my company and I've never seen them for individual sale, but who knows what a Google search might turn up.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
07-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Most anywhere we travel, I leave my handbags in the hotel safe and store essentials (lipgloss, tissues, etc) in a pocket in my kid's stroller. I carry some money, a charge card and my pass in a little wallet. I don't like fanny packs and I only wear a backpack when hiking.

When I do feel like wearing a purse in the parks, I have a shoulder bag with a long strap that drapes across my chest so my hands are free.

SBETigg
07-23-2007, 02:33 PM
I really hate lugging things around with me. I don't even do it in my every day life, let alone on vacation if I can help it. Everything I need usually fits in my pockets. Occasionally at WDW, I will have to carry an extra bag but I try to avoid it.

When I have a bag, I make sure it zips closed so nothing can fall out, and it is small enough with a handle to loop my leg through and stick in the bottom of a ride car. This usually works when I have to carry something. I would forgo the usual pocketbook in favor of a small zip-close bag that can carry easily on my shoulder and I can keep secure on rides. LL Bean has some good ones.

Disney Doll
07-23-2007, 02:51 PM
I carry a light weight travel purse that I wear diagonally across my body. It's small so there is just room for the essentials- camera, money, ID, chapstick, and extra batteries. DH just brings his wallet. We love the freedom from loads of heavy baggage.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
07-23-2007, 02:53 PM
I forget to mention - travel stores sell passport holders that hang around your neck. They're large enough for several cards, tickets, etc. I used them when I traveled overseas in my pre-married days. I would slip it under my clothes or safety. If you could get your boyfriend to wear one, then maybe you could find a cute pair of cargo pants/shorts/a skirt (so could he, I suppose, minus the skirt). My DH did and he comfortably carried our camera this way the entire time.

sacandjac
07-23-2007, 03:15 PM
I carry a little travel purse that I wear diagonally across my body. These are sold specifically for travel and are very easy to use. They are made by Travelon and I got mine from QVC. There's a place for your cell phone and great because they are very slim, but they carry a lot of stuff.

snifflesmcg
07-23-2007, 03:24 PM
I avoid carrying anything at all cost. My rule of thumb is, if it doesn't fit in my pocket, it doesn't go with me. Yes, my camera fits in my pocket, lol. As safe as Disney can be, you still have those who can unzip that purse while you aren't looking.

DessertDivaFL
07-23-2007, 03:35 PM
I bring one drawstring backpack for everyone's stuff and we all take turns carrying it. It is not packed solid, mind you, but I need to take along the essentials like my kids medication, bottled water, camera, etc.

I keep my money/credit cards/ID/room keycard in a small resealable plastic bag in the inside zippered section so any potential pick pockets won't find a wallet. That's my tip for the day.

NewmanFamily6
07-23-2007, 04:18 PM
DH carries all the tickets and rooms keys in his wallet in his front pocket of cargo type shorts. Someone will have to be bold to go after it-lol I do take a backpack as mentioned above. With the 4 kiddies I always have sunscreen, bottledwater, and sometimes snacks in there-oh and don't forget your ponchos-never know:mickey:

vamaggie
07-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Hey
Just a quick question.. i carry around my 'essentials' in a handbag.. as do many of you i'm sure!!

I guess it depends on what you consider "essentials". I usually take my ID, credit card and our passes (plus anything else a gal might need at certain times) in one of those travel "things" around my neck--highly recommend this. Very light, easy to know where it is and can be worn under a shirt for the rides. We also carry a drawstring pack for kid stuff like sunscreen, water, socks etc but that usually gets put in the stroller basket. Take as little as possible!

mickey-mouse35
07-23-2007, 06:49 PM
I carry a little travel purse that I wear diagonally across my body. These are sold specifically for travel and are very easy to use. They are made by Travelon and I got mine from QVC. There's a place for your cell phone and great because they are very slim, but they carry a lot of stuff.

Is this similar to the Bagalini sling? I've been looking and looking for the pefect bag but don't want anything cutting across my front. I found a cute day pack at Walmart that's a mini back pack with lots of pockets in the travel section but am afraid it won't fit everything.

KarenP
07-23-2007, 07:01 PM
I used to carry a fanny pack but I hate the way they look. I now use a wallet bagg by Baggallini.

LoriMistress
07-23-2007, 07:09 PM
I bring my backpack around the parks and when I go to DTD for dinner ressies or PI I bring my purse.

Bethanymouse
07-23-2007, 07:18 PM
This is a great thread! I use a cross the shoulder bag that Jansport puts out. It is the perfect travel size and it is water proof. It is big enough to hold all my essentials- tissues, tickets, mini wallet, camera, chapstick, money etc. I also click on the zipper a mini sunscreen and a purell for the germs. It is just the right size and to anyone looking for a smaller bag to carry around the park.

Gotta Love the TTA
07-23-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm still a devotee of the fanny pack.

Two trips ago I took one of those across-the-chest bags. By Day 2 my right shoulder was getting pretty sore.

Last trip I took a small backpack. It was a royal pain to have to take it off and dig through it every time I wanted to take a picture or put my sunglasses on or away. It was not comfortable enough to put on and forget, so I was constantly fussing with it.

On both trips I also took the old reliable fanny pack and ended up using it.

Why do I like it?
--It's attached to me, so it can't (easily) be taken off and left somewhere.
--You can get any ride restraint system locked in place while it's on (not possible with a backpack)
--Everything I need is right in front of me. I don't have to take it off or ask someone else to fish my camera out for me. Of course, by the time you've done all that, the Kodak moment is gone forever.

And one of the perks of age (my birthday is Sunday) is that I don't care as much what it looks like. I am surrounded by people who either 1) love me unconditionally, or 2) don't know me and will never see me again.

Seasonscraps
07-23-2007, 08:33 PM
I carry a wristlet style bag -- it fits my camera, some cash, my ID, park pass/room key and lip balm. Since it's on my wrist I never lose track of it but I can be hands free if need be.

squishy445
07-23-2007, 08:42 PM
I always carry either a small backpack or a messanger bag. If you find a nice sized one it won't be too cumbersome. At target they have some nice nike ones by the luggage that are very lightweight and affordable. If you don't want to carry a bag like that you could always get a belly bag. I know most people think they look silly but it is what is most comfortable for you and now a days you can find many bags that are very stylish. Have a great trip, hope I helped. :dory:

IloveDisney71
07-23-2007, 09:47 PM
I have always carried a drawstring backpack or an across the chest strap backpack. I don't overload it, but I have migraines, so I have to carry a variety of medications ("just in case"), I also like to be able to fit my camera, water, small snacks, and a light weight jacket in it. I have never had a problem fitting it on a ride and have never lost anything - even on the RR. :mickey:

kakn7294
07-24-2007, 04:28 AM
I used to carry a fanny pack but I hate the way they look. I now use a wallet bagg by Baggallini.
I know that many people swear by Baggallini products, but I have one of these wallet baggs and I hate it. It's heavy when it's empty and of course, even heavier when it's full. The pockets are not shaped or placed in such a way as to hold my stuff conveniently (and I don't carry alot) - I guess that it depends on the shape and size of your stuff. It rubs against my neck and tilts forward on the strap making it feel awkward. I also feel that the actual wallet part that holds cash and credit cards isn't convenient to access - it feels like it's backwards in the bag for me. I was really disappointed in it because I thought this was the answer for me but it didn't work out that way.

teresa955
07-24-2007, 09:12 AM
I have tried several things over the years. I actually have found two different bags that work well. I have a child's Nike back pack. I found it in a clearance bin. It is not as large and cumbersome as a regular backpack but is large enough to carry everything I want (including a couple of bottles of frozen water). The down side to it is that it is bright red and black and I like to match even in the parks.
The other bag I bought two years ago at the World of Disney. It is a tan, Mickey bag. It kind of looks like a messenger style bag with an adjustable strap but it is not as big. It has a flap on the front that snaps and slots where you can put your room key, id, etc. It also has a zippered section that is just the right size for my water plus the other things I carry (tissues, hand sanitizer, etc).

SurferStitch
07-24-2007, 09:49 AM
In the parks I always carry my plush Stitch backpack. He's really cute, lightweight, and I can dress him in Build-a-Bear outfits. This trip I have several outfits for him, and I can still access everything in the bag pretty easily.

I like to carry several essential items, and items that some may not find essential (but are to me). I always take a lip gloss, compact w/mirror, band-aids (you never know when you'll need one), antibacterial gel/wipes, tickets, ID, credit card, and a small brush. Everything fits easily in the small Stitch backpack with room to spare. I also have a plush Mike Wazowski backpack I use once in a while.

The plush backpacks are perfect for WDW, and really help me feel like a kid! The characters also love them, and sometimes make a fuss over them (especially Stitch). My Stitch backpack has been in many ride pictures now.

I take several nice evening bags/purses for when we eat at resort restaurants and go to PI. I love bling, and my purses have to match my outfits at night.

January-2007
07-24-2007, 10:08 AM
I don't see why people don't like fanny packs? They were all the rage when I was a kid and they're just so darn convenient. I wear one and a draw string backpack. Both bought at WDW, one with the 2006 logo, one with the 2007 logo. We've been discussing buying DH a fanny pack because he always carries a regular back pack to the parks and on the one day last trip he didn't, he just loved it, so we're going to try to find a fanny back for him instead of having to wear a back pack. If we find the time... and where to start looking....?

sleepingbooty
07-24-2007, 01:34 PM
If you don't have children with you, you really don't need many essentials, and could probably fit what you needed in your pockets. Although I think they're pretty dorky, I use a fanny pack when we're at WDW. And only the absolute essentials go in - I don't even bring my wallet - just drivers license and debit/credit card.

KarenP
07-24-2007, 03:11 PM
I know that many people swear by Baggallini products, but I have one of these wallet baggs and I hate it. It's heavy when it's empty and of course, even heavier when it's full. The pockets are not shaped or placed in such a way as to hold my stuff conveniently (and I don't carry alot) - I guess that it depends on the shape and size of your stuff. It rubs against my neck and tilts forward on the strap making it feel awkward. I also feel that the actual wallet part that holds cash and credit cards isn't convenient to access - it feels like it's backwards in the bag for me. I was really disappointed in it because I thought this was the answer for me but it didn't work out that way.

I wonder if the material is what makes yours heavy. Mine is really light. I think it is the rip stop nylon.

mickey-mouse35
07-24-2007, 03:20 PM
If you don't have children with you, you really don't need many essentials, and could probably fit what you needed in your pockets.

Actually, we don't have children, and I pack a bunch--sunglasses, lip balm, comb or brush, powder, bottled water, rain ponchos, travel umbrella, light jacket (we go in the fall/winter), tickets, credit card, cash, schedule/maps, suntan lotion, wet wipes... :blush:

thejens
07-24-2007, 03:36 PM
mickeymouse35, maybe you should go ahead and push a stroller even without the kids since you have so much stuff! ;) Just kidding. I seriously hate the thought of my kids growing out of stroller age because the stroller is so handy! I use a fanny pack and keep just the basics. It actually fits a fair amount of stuff. I have brought pretty little purses to go across my chest for the occassional fancy dinner without kids (Cali Grill). But honestly don't care much how I look. Let's face it, I'm likely to be wearing a mickey mouse t-shirt and I am riding in an elephant. We do throw a back pack into the stroller with other not so necessary things.

AvonleaCF
07-24-2007, 04:31 PM
If I'm wearing cargo shorts, then I fit everything into the pockets (wallet with a credit card, room key, insurance card, and a bit of cash; hand sanitizer; cell phone).

If I'm wearing shorts without pockets then I have this small, light-weight, over the shoulder/chest bag that is absolutely perfect. I can then carry a bottle of water, Advil, band-aids, Chlorox wipes, and even a poncho. I find I can leave it draped over me on just about every ride (unlike a backpack). And I don't overload it so it doesn't hurt my shoulder.

I don't like fanny packs because I don't like the extra weight around my middle. Makes me feel like my pants are going to slide down.

starrmomof2
07-24-2007, 04:54 PM
And one of the perks of age (my birthday is Sunday) is that I don't care as much what it looks like. I am surrounded by people who either 1) love me unconditionally, or 2) don't know me and will never see me again.

I also carried a fanny pack last year that I bought at REI (I needed one large enough to carry the DS's autograph books we already had) after swearing that I would not ever wear a fanny pack anywhere. I feel the same as Gotta Love the TTA; I decided I was more concerned with comfort and ease than appearance. I didn't want to chance sore shoulders, arms, etc or keeping up with who has the stuff instead of enjoying my time in the world.

Goofy Texan
07-24-2007, 05:00 PM
I also hate fanny packs. The strap around the middle is a pain and they get in the way when using the restroom.

My solution hasn't been mentioned yet. I use a small nylon purse. The short 12" handle has a trigger snap on one end. I undo the snap and run the handle through two belt loops on the side of my shorts, then snap it back on the purse. The bag hangs a little lower than a fanny pack and has just enough swing to allow easy access without taking it off. It stays in place on rides and doesn't get in the way in the restroom.

The only real drawback is the need for belt loops and you can't load it with anything really heavy since it might pull. It can hold my camera, cell phone and a wallet without any trouble.

I bought mine at Walmart for about $7.

Catzle
07-24-2007, 06:08 PM
We used a backpack last year and it killed our shoulders and neck. Than on the last couple of days we used a fanny pack and it was so nice not having anything laying on my neck. We will use this next year over a backpack. I use a purse that goes around your front because I have RA and I can't use my hands a lot and even this gets heavy around the neck for long periods of time.

dolphinmickey9170
07-24-2007, 06:53 PM
I have always used a fanny pack until last year. My DH bought me a "50 years of magic" (cross the chest strap) bag that has two zippered pockets. It is about 8 inches tall and 4 inches wide and 2 inches deep. It has a long strap so it hangs below my waist. It is very convenient.

kakn7294
07-24-2007, 08:41 PM
I don't see why people don't like fanny packs? They were all the rage when I was a kid and they're just so darn convenient.
In 2 words - BIG BUTT! I am much too overweight for fanny packs to be attractive. :blush: I love the convenience, I just hate the way it looks (but it will be in the suitcase just in case!)

I wonder if the material is what makes yours heavy. Mine is really light. I think it is the rip stop nylon.
I'm sure it's the fabric that's the difference. Mine is the microfiber - it is very heavy and stiff. I should have gone for the ripstop nylon but I thought the microfiber would have been better. Too bad I couldn't see and compare them before I purchased!

psychotekkie
07-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Lay out all the stuff you need at the parks, and then get a bag that just fits.

Whatever bag you decide to bring, make sure it is unisex so you can share the burden. I know how much my husband hates to carry a purse.:blush:

Lisaj13
07-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Last year at WDW I started with a purse, but by Day 2 had switched to a fanny pack. It held my wallet, camera, lip balm and band-aids (just in case). My youngest DD also wore one and carried her fan and a few odds and ends.

BTW, I wear my fanny pack in front (stomach pack?) for convenience and security. Not to mention it helps hide a protruding stomach!

Besides being light and convenient (taking a backpack off for rides is a pain), a fanny pack makes going through security a breeze!

septembergirl
07-25-2007, 06:18 PM
I have used a fanny pack in the past but my husband was mortified because it is rather unattractive. I didn't care though because I needed a place for my trail mix, water bottle, cash and passes. However, this next trip I know that we will be using a stroller most all the time so I will be bringing along a backpack type bag with all nonvaluable items in it to store in the stroller and keeping my cash and passes in my pockets! I still haven't figured out whether to rent or bring the stroller though...:confused:

Nevergrowup
07-25-2007, 09:17 PM
I use a child size backpack. It is small enough for the rides and carries all we need.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-25-2007, 09:38 PM
I found a cute day pack at Walmart that's a mini back pack with lots of pockets in the travel section but am afraid it won't fit everything.

I've gotten to be a firm believer in "less is more"...I found a lightweight, small backpack at Walmart, with a good number of pockets, which helps me go right to whatever I'm looking for, without having to churn through a bag full of stuff. To me the important things are:
Keep it LIGHT.

Make sure the straps are comfortable, not too big, and not too skinny to cut into you.

Choose a fabric that won't be too hot or stiff, and is colorfast when wet....Long story:blush: Between Splash Mountain and that spittin' camel, I redesigned some shirts....:mickey:

crazykids
07-26-2007, 08:46 AM
I never bring a purse on vacation. I always use a backpack to put all of my things in. I've always done this, so I guess since I'm so used to it, it really never got in the way of things. When I go on a ride, I'll either put the bag on the floor by my feet or some rides have a storage compartment. When I go to a restaurant, I either put it on an empty chair or on the floor under the table. I have never encountered any problems & my hands are always free.

irish1967
07-26-2007, 09:20 AM
I wear cargo shorts...

One pocket is big enough for a credit card size wallet (room key/pass, credit card and some cash) and cell phone. The other pocket is big enough for any other essentials.

We liberally apply waterproof/sport sunscreen before we leave the resort in the morning. Since we always go back to the room for an early afternoon break, we don't need to carry it with us to reapply.

Depending on the weather, we do bring a backpack to carry ponchos in - but many days it is just left in the room.

ryca1dreams
07-26-2007, 09:21 AM
I use a child size backpack. It is small enough for the rides and carries all we need.

I did this also one year, but found even it was too big for what I was carrying and made my back too hot.

I don't carry any more than will fit in cargo shorts' pockets, except for a video camera which I strap across my chest.

Tinkerbellpower
07-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Some greeeeat ideas here! Thanks very much. I know no i am going to take something that is suitable for both of us to carry! - not a purse! :mickey:
A stroller seems like such a good idea for storing everything.. shame we don't have kids haha.

Tinkerbellpower
07-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Also- don't know if your allowed to post links- but if you click on this you will see that maybe the fannypacks arn't as unfashionable as you think!

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/photos/threes060911_fannypack_569

mickey-mouse35
07-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Also- don't know if your allowed to post links- but if you click on this you will see that maybe the fannypacks arn't as unfashionable as you think!

Too cute--love them--wonder where you can get those kind and not the ugly, cheap kind!?

I've gotten to be a firm believer in "less is more"...I found a lightweight, small backpack at Walmart, with a good number of pockets, which helps me go right to whatever I'm looking for, without having to churn through a bag full of stuff. To me the important things are:
Keep it LIGHT.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I know that less is more. If I need a lightweight jacket, I'll leave it in the car or a locker to get in the evening (we don't go back to the hotel). Can you send me a private message with a photo of what you found at Walmart? Want to see if it's the same as what I got? THANKS!

DestinationWDW
07-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Choose a fabric that won't be too hot or stiff, and is colorfast when wet....Long story:blush: Between Splash Mountain and that spittin' camel, I redesigned some shirts....:mickey:

:ditto:

Unfortunately with 3 kiddos, fabulous fanny doesn't cut it with sippy cup, extra outfit, sun screen, sanitizer wipes, etc. Back pack to much of a burden on our backs for a week - DH already crazy photographer and carries his pack of that stuff! I just ordered (yesterday, in fact) from LL Bean a micro fiber, stain and water resistant bag that is supposedly good for carrying loads and even weight distribution (the tear drop shape one). We'll see how it works out. With going in less than 2 weeks, couldn't fathom the idea of a back pack on my already sweaty back anyway!!!! :cool: