PDA

View Full Version : Stroller opinion for infant

poohbearkris
07-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi, I have a question for those who have traveled with infants to the parks. I am definitely planning on bringing my own stroller. The question I have is, my son will be 4 months old when we visit. Therefore he will still be using the carrier portion as the car seat. I did not buy him a ticket for the plane and was not planning on bringing the carseat with. BUt after thinking about it, would it be easier/more comfortable for him to sit in the carseat portion or in the stroller seat. I am thinking it would be easier to get him on the bus because I can just lift the carseat off and fold up the stroller, but then I will end up holding the carseat on my lap if it is crowded and also have a stroller taking up space. He is only 2 months now and at this point I think he would be more comfortable in his car seat. Would love to know peoples opinions. THanks.:mickey:

Dyanna
07-23-2007, 12:06 PM
We are going in Oct with our then 10 month old DD. We too will be taking her own stroller. We are taking her on the plane & having her sit on our laps so we did not have to purchase a plane ticket. If she was still able to fit in the infant carrier we would have left it home anyway. Baby will have more room to move around in just the stroller itself (laying down) specially when it gets warmer & they tend to sweat more. Folding up the stroller & holding onto the carrier gets a bit much. If the busses are packed you might get stuck standing up holding the stroller (must be folded on the bus) & the infant carrier when its much easier to carry the baby by himself. Hope this helps!

RBrooksC
07-23-2007, 12:12 PM
My son will be 19 months when I fly with him to Disney in September. I am bringing the car seat on the plane and will strap him into the seat for the flight because I believe that both he and I will be more comfortablt that way.

I am also renting a car when there so I need to be able to transport him in the car to and from the airport, not to mention around the Disney complex.

For a child that will be four months old, I would say that it would be easier on you and give the child more comfort if you bring the carrier. I would also suggest getting yourself a Baby Bjorn carrier.

When my son was your child's age, I used the Baby Bjorn more than I ever used the stroller. The Baby Bjorn is a bit more expensive than other brands but with the lumbar support, it makes it that much easier to carry the child.

Lizzie
07-23-2007, 12:40 PM
When we went last October my neice was about 3 months old. I suggest bringing the car seat that locks in your stroller. Not only will your son be more comfortable in the stroller but if you want to go to a sit down place to eat you can carry him in his car seat into the restaurant and have a place for him to sit while you enjoy your food. More than likely at this age he will be sleeping most of the time. Also for shows where you are going to go and sit I don't see why you can't carry him in the car seat with you so he can continue to sleep. The only thing you can't do this on is any ride that you want to go on with him. Remember he can ride anything without a height restriction. We brought our 7 month old twin girls last year on Pirates and a lot of other rides. If you have the money I would suggest a Baby Bjorn. My girls would often fall asleep while we carried them in these.

Also since you aren't getting him a seat on the plane you can't use the car seat. But you can check the car seat when you check your bags and it does not count as one of your two checked bags. It is extra and free.

And regarding the bus more than likely he will be sleeping and having him in the carseat wil make sure he can sleep though it. I wouldn't worry about space and taking up room. And if you have other people in your group someone should be able to carry the stroller on for you.

Hope this helps.

kakn7294
07-23-2007, 01:09 PM
We took my nephew when he was 5 mo old (this was 4 years ago now) and we did not take the carseat part of his stroller combo with us although since we drove, we did have it with us. Most restaurants let us take his stroller inside right up to the table, especially if he was sleeping. We thought it would be too much of a hassle to take both the carseat and stroller onto the buses, especially at closing when the buses are super crowded. In fact, we bought a smaller, lighter weight stroller that reclines for the trip so we didn't have to wrestle with the big stroller that the carrier attached to. For shows and attractions, we just carried him or used a soft carrier that straps onto your body.

Disney Doll
07-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Never been with one that young, but I will say that the travel system strollers are a nightmare to lug around. We have always been so much happier with a good quality reclining umbrella stroller. Those are light weight, easy to maneuver through crowds or tight spaces, and very simple to fold and go. They are perfect for Disney. Trying to get a carrier and a big stroller on and off the Disney buses would be a headache. I say leave the carrier at home.

KAT1811
07-23-2007, 03:10 PM
I took DD#2 when she was 3 months old and I didn't bring the carseat portion of the stroller into the parks with me. It gets very hot in WDW and she had a lot more breathing room in the stroller lying down. I would also recommend getting a clip on battery operated stroller fan to bring with you to circulate the air around the baby so he doesn't get too warm. Sometimes by blocking the sun the breeze (if there is one) gets shut out as well. This year we are bringing DD#3 as well and she will be 10 months while we are there. I purchased a wonderful side by side double stroller and also purchased the rain cover so if we do get a quick shower we aren't fighting to keep the stroller dry. The only time one of my DDs were sleeping in the stroller (late one night in Italy) they let me bring her stroller right into Alfredo's and put her right next to the table so she kept on sleeping while we ate. I think that most places will accomodate you if at all possible and if they don't well, weigh the pros and cons and either pick him up (he'll probably just nestle right back into mom or dad's arms and go right back to sleep anyway) or move on and eat elsewhere. Good luck.

P.S. - I just go a new Baby Bjourn (to replace my other carrier) and LOVE it! If it's not too hot while you're there you might want to try it. They can be expensive but I have heard of people getting them at consignment shops or if not maybe a friend has one they could lend you for your trip.

Have a great time!!!

wdw_bound
07-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Another vote for the Baby Bjorn Active (this is the style with lumbar support). We used it with DS and loved it! If he was sleeping, he could still accompany us on rides (age appropriate, of course). With the stroller either one of us would have to find a shady spot to sit and wait for the others (no ride for them), or we'd have to risk waking him to get him out of his stroller.

Also, to see characters, shows, etc, you have to park the stroller, so you'll be carrying baby anyway - the Bjorn makes that much easier.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Another vote for no car seat and a Baby Bjorn. We took our son when he was 5 months old and the Bjorn was a lifesaver. Especially getting on and off rides.

It gets so hot in the parks and I found him to be very comfy laying in his reclined stroller with his clip on fan and extra umbrella.

It is crowded enough on the buses when you have a stroller, baby and whatever bag you bring. I would think you would be uncomfortable carrying your son in his carrier on the bus. The Bjorn came in very handy in this situation too.

We get a seat for our kids on the plane from the time they take their first flight. We just feel safer knowing they are in their car seats. One of my sisters flew with my nephew to WDW when he was 6 months old in January and would alternate in between holding him and putting him in the Bjorn (she borrowed mine ;)) facing out for the flight. Just another option if you get a Bjorn or similar.

Have a great trip!!

poohbearkris
07-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the info everybody.I have one of those sit 'n'stand strollers where thefront seat doesn't recline back all the way. I am definitely going to check out the Baby Bjorn Active. The carrier I have now isn't the most comfortable and I was planning on bringing it with. Thanks again :dumbo:
Kris

pixiesmimi
07-23-2007, 05:34 PM
We have been three times with small infants. The Baby Bjorn or a sling are almost a must have. Both of my daughters used a sling and I used it also to carry my grandchildren some. They are so comfortable and leaves your hands free. You can use them for the baby reclining and completely cover them up or sitting, etc. We have had our own strollers and rented at the park. Your own is more comfortable but the rented ones are more convenient for the trams, etc. The buses are wide with mostly bench seats so there is room for the strollers unless really crowded but they will only let so many people on including strollers at a time. It is a hassle to fold them up and get on and off. If you are renting a car or using a taxi or anything at WDW, you will need a car seat for this. Some rental cars supply them but don't depend on this. They might be out. We always took our strollers in the restaurants with no problems. But my daughters swear by the sling or a comfortable carrier like the Bjorn. It is nice, though, to have a stroller to push back to the transportation when leaving the park at night when you are so tired instead of having to carry a child.

Terra
07-23-2007, 07:37 PM
I have a Mei Tai carrier and wear David most of the time when I'm there...I just have a cheap [$50] Jeep stroller and I use it to carry the diaper bag and whatever else I have...
I'm not a big fan of strollers but I'm a big babywearer.
Plus you have to park the stroller so much I think you're carrier will be much better and just get a cheap umbrella stroller..

What every you decide....I hope you guys have a great time!!!!!!!!! :)