PDA

View Full Version : I need will power!

Jeri Lynn
07-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Since my last Disney trip I have been saving my change and loose bills...since the beginning of this summer I have been eyeing my piggy bank...otherwise affectionately known as "Pepere' Pig" and have been doing my best not to empty him out and count all my savings!

I am saving this for my trip in November with my sister and DD#3 and her best Friend Morgan.

Please give me the will power not to start getting into this little piggy!!

p.s. As I said, I call this bank "Pepere Pig", the reason I do this is this bank, which ofcourse is in the shape of a pig was in my grandparents house for years and as a little girl I remember it always being in the chair in the living room...as the years went on it ended up at my parents house, and when the sold their house and were cleaning out I found Pepere' Pig in the dumpster, so I climbed in to save him, my mother is not sentimental like me...and he has been with me ever since, he's old and scratched and one of my most valued & cherished memories.

Lorraine444
07-22-2007, 09:08 AM
DON"T SPEND IT!!!!

What a great story.
When my grandmother was alive she always told me change including pennies was money too! One time when I was little the ice cream truck went by & I wanted one of course.
She told me to use the pennies in her jar! I was a little embarresed but with the pennies I still got what I wanted.
Great lesson, I'll never forget!
God Bless Grandmothers....I miss her dearly.

SBETigg
07-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Trust in the pig!

Don't check. That's such a sweet story. I'm sentimental, too. Pepere pig is looking after your savings and if you wait to look, you may be so much more pleasantly surprised than if you look now.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-22-2007, 11:14 AM
My DH is doing the same thing. Not in something as special as you are, though. He is putting his in a gallon Poland Spring bottle. :D

Don't use it. It will really come in handy on your trip!! :mickey:

princessjojo
07-22-2007, 11:40 AM
:stop:Don't do it!!!

I can understand how tempting it is. I have the same thing going with an empty popcorn tin. But I have a very small bank that I put pocket change in every day and in about a couple weeks or so, it's full. I just dump it into the tin. Occassionally I stick in a $5 or $20, but for the most part I try to stay away from it. I have it tucked in a corner behind my hope chest, outta sight, outta mind. There's probably not too much in there, but it sure may pay for at least 1 airline ticket, maybe 2.

Lately, I have tried to get an extra week out of my pedicures, something I can't do without in the summer. So every 2 weeks I add a $10 and skip 1 week. After 6 weeks, I have completely skipped 1 pedicure and saved $20. Boy do I need one right now though...

Keep up the good work!!! It'll pay off when you get to WDW.

hooberry
07-22-2007, 01:02 PM
We have done the same thing in the past for vacation. We never use change at the store, I always break a dollar bill and all our change would go into a water cooler jug in our closet. It was very hard at first not to spend it, but in a year, my husband and I saved enough to pay our plane tickets to Mexico City. Now that we have a daughter all our change goes into the same jug but when it gets almost too full for me to lift, I bring it to the bank and deposit it into her college fund. She is only 3 bit it helps and it adds up pretty fast, about $1000 a year . My husband and I joke that if she doesn't end up going to college we are going to use it for an awesome vacation:thumbsup:

MMouse6937
07-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Don't give into the temptation to check!! It will be such a nice surprise when you "cash" it in before you leave for your trip. We always save change in a big water jug. It's about halfway full now, and I have to resist the urge too to count it.

Just leave the piggy alone and let him keep collecting his money! :D

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-22-2007, 10:19 PM
You could always cash it in and buy Disney dollars. That way you won't spend it somethere other than at Disney.

DessertDivaFL
07-22-2007, 10:28 PM
You could always cash it in and buy Disney dollars. That way you won't spend it somethere other than at Disney.

That's the best tip I've heard. I think I will do that with the kids money so they save it for what they want to buy at WDW. :thumbsup:

Jeri Lynn
07-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Thanks everyone for the boost of willpower!

I'm still holding off, although I am tempted to take the bills only and as Kathy suggested buy some Disney dollars! I do have to get to a disney store and buy some anyway for my daughters BF's birthday. So maybe I'll get some too!!

merlinmagic4
07-23-2007, 09:21 AM
I think it's a great idea to cash it in for Disney Dollars! I simply cannot save loose change and dollars in a jar. I always use it for lunch money for the kids!

Bethis26fan
07-23-2007, 09:52 AM
I do that w/ mine I save it then cash it into disney dollars so I know I can't spend it. I've got about $70.00 in disney dollars now so not to shabby. :) But that's the only way I know I won't spend it.

Jeri Lynn
07-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Well I emptied out my piggy bank of all of the bills I put in there, and then ofcourse I had to put all the change back into my bank...I went to the Disney store last night and got $175 in Disney dollars.

I am giving $25 to DD's best friend for her birthday, and I am designating $50 to DD for chores she can do to earn the Disney dollars and the other hundred will be used for whatever is needed on our trip.

I have no idea how much $$ I have in change but there were lots and lots of quarters....I've started putting more bills back into Pepere' Pig and I will empty him I think on November 9th which is my birthday and we are leaving the
25th of November for Disney.:mickey: