PDA

View Full Version : Swan/Dolphin - I need help/info!

kathymk616
07-21-2007, 06:05 PM
You guys are so great, I hope you can (please!) help me out...

I have stayed many times at the BW and BC. This year, I'm trying to make last-minute reservations at WDW for a couple of weeks from now, and found availability at the Swan and Dolphin through Starwood Reservations. It will be just my Mom and me (adults), so we don't need lots of kid-friendly stuff. We also don't need too much Mickey-themed stuff, since we feel we get that in the parks.

Do any of you have opinions/knowledge on what "partial view of resort" vs. "view of resort" mean? (The Starwood reservation gal didn't know.)

Is there a specific room type I could request to get a good view, especially of Epcot, and would it be worth an extra $50 a night?

Is the Swan or Dolphin more pleasant, or are they about the same?

Do they each have a pool? Is one more fun than the other? (We like to swim.)

Any other advice or recommendations? Thanks!!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-21-2007, 11:47 PM
I've stayed at the Dolphin quite a few times. We've had rooms with balconies but I gotta tell you, you don't necessarily get a good view of Epcot. Unless you spend a lot of time at the hotel, I wouldn't pay the extra $$'s. Use it for a good meal or two.
I prefer the Dolphin just because it has the all night cafeteria not to mention all the other restaurants.
They have 3 pools and you can use all 3 of them no matter which one you stay at. Since they are sister resorts, you have exchange privledges at both.
The beds are so comfortable there. I sleep better there than anywhere. And you can't beat the location for the price.

Horizon93
07-22-2007, 12:27 AM
We have stayed at the Swan many times. We love it! The beds are soooooo comfortable. Both the Dolphin and the Swan share the pools and they are great. Lots of restaurant choices. I have had every view except water view and have never been disappointed. Great resorts!

kathymk616
07-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks Princess and Horizon...you have convinced me to just take the basic "partial view". We will not be in the room all that much, anyhow. I did ask the reservation desk to put in a request for "best view available".:mickey:

Jeff
07-23-2007, 08:09 AM
WE have stayed at the Swan many times. We actually like the "courtyard view" which faces the Dolphin better than the more expensive "Resort views". Especially if you can get one of the balcony rooms, you can see the Dolphin, the Friendship boat docks and part of the pool areas.

We love the Swan!
Have a great time.

OhGee
07-23-2007, 01:16 PM
They also give a nice discount rate if you or any in your party is an educator. That person would have to make the reservation in their name. I was able to book 3 rooms at $149 (educator rate) in the Dolphin and Swan for the end of August.

anneb
07-23-2007, 05:57 PM
I have stayed at both several times (make that many, many, times for the Dolphin), and I'm sure you will love either hotel. I think partial resort view would mean that some part of the hotel is blocking part of your view. I had a standard room at the Swan once that I suspect may have been described as a "partial resort view" - it was right over the roof of covered drive-through entrance for cars, which blocked some of the view, but I could see MGM in the distance, and if I hadn't seen the views you can get from other rooms at these hotels, I would have thought is was a pretty good view. Summer is the slow season at the Swan and Dolphin, so you have a pretty good chance of an upgrade anyway. While the folks at the Starwood general reservations line won't have this type of information, they Swan and Dolphin have their own 800 reservations number, manned by people who would know the ins and outs of the various room categories. There are lots of rooms with wonderful views at these hotels, and I've found both hotels pretty good about honoring requests for a nice view.

Disney Yankee
07-23-2007, 07:57 PM
We just stayed at the Swan... Great time, great pool. Our "standard view" was overlooking MGM and EPCOT. :cloud9: I would not pay $$ for a better view. We really liked the Swan, but there is definitely more going on at the Dolphin. Keep in mind though that the Swan has queen beds and the Dolphin has doubles. (That may not matter if there are only 2 of you in the room.)Have fun!!!:mickey:

kathymk616
07-23-2007, 10:27 PM
This is very encouraging! And, yes, I am a teacher, and thanks to reading these boards, I had the good sense to ask for the discount.

I :rocks:

crazypoohbear
07-24-2007, 10:28 AM
The biggest plus for the Swan is the 2 queen beds as opposed to doubles at the Dolphin.
The best deal with the dolphin is that picabu is in the basement and the pools are closer.
You can use everything regardless of which hotel you stay at. I just liked having to jump on the elevator to go downstairs to picabu instead of going outside.