PDA

View Full Version : Camping in July

LKCEmom
07-20-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm at Ft Wilderness right now and I'm surprised at how many families are tent camping. We've been here since the 7th and I gotta tell ya it's just been so darn hot I haven't even gone to any of the parks yet. We've spent a lot of time at DWWS this week (son playing baseball) last games are tomorrow so I will force myself to get to Epcot & AK before I go home.

The other thing I've noticed is the amount of open sites. While there is the constant coming and going it never seems to fill up as it has in years past. I wonder if it's fuel prices or partly the lack of discounts for campsites.

Either way I'm just happy to be here at all :mickey:

pixidust1976
07-20-2007, 08:11 PM
You know... I have noticed that there aren't people filling anything to the brim like they did a few years ago.

I think it is the gas prices.

I live in a tourist town and it is DEAD this summer.

I went to Ocean City on THE FOURTH OF JULY WEEK... and the beaches as far as the eye could see were 3/4 empty!

Everyone that is in my office has vacationed this summer and they are all reporting lackluster crowds.

It would seem like something is hurting tourism, and I bet paying so much for gas could be the reason.

ibrowse17
07-20-2007, 09:20 PM
I was as shocked last June during our honeymoon at how many folks were tent camping. I mean we like to tent camp, and have at FW, but not during the summer. Being from the south, I am some what used to the heat, but these folks were from north of the Mason-Dixon. My hat was off to them, but DW and I were in AC comfort sleeping in our camper:thumbsup:

Speedy1998
07-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Funny, when I was there in June I thought there were more people than in years past.

As for Fourth of July, because of the way it fell this year it made it more difficult for working folks to take time off. You lost everyone that normally just takes a day off to get the three or four day weekend.

January-2007
07-21-2007, 08:54 AM
...or partly the lack of discounts for campsites.

Yeah, what's up with that? They are not discounted nearly as much as everywhere else on property, yet can be comparible in price to some of the value resorts at times, it's weird.

I agree, tent camping in July, in Florida, blazing sun and lots of rain, I don't think so. We tent camp, and do quite frequently in August, but we live in Maryland and camp around mountains.

Glad you're having a good time at Fort Wilderness right now!!