PDA

View Full Version : Question For All Football/Soccer Followers

Davyjones
07-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Hey gang!

As a football follower here in the U.S., I was just wondering who are your favorite teams from all around the world? Both club and international teams. Feel free to say why if you want to! Here are mine:

1. Liverpool FC - Premiere League
2. Real Madrid FC - La Liga
3. U.S. National Team

Let me hear you! :thumbsup: :soccer:

Scar
07-20-2007, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't exactly call myself a "follower", but here goes:

1) U.S. National Team
2) Los Cafeteros (Colombian National Team)
3) Cali America (couldn't name 1 player but it's my wife's uncle's favorite team :shrug: )

The Reservoir Dog
07-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Being from England "Football is our national game"

Being a London boy I am a passionate Tottenham Hotspur fan. Nicknamed "Spurs", Tottenham have a long history.
Formed 125 years ago we were the first non league team to win the FA Cup in 1901. We were also the first team of the 20th century to complete the league and cup double in 1961 and were also the first British team to win a European trophy in 1963.

Spurs have finished the last two seasons of the Premier League in 5th place. Not having the financial clout of the top four teams ( Manchester Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool & Arsenal)have obviously detered the top players from coming to the club we do attract alot of promising young players and have developed a squad to challenge for a top four place this season and therefore qualifying for the European Champions League.

Spurs have always had a tradition of playing attractive attacking football and always welcome a flair player. If we could tighten up the defence then we could be in for a great season.

TheAdventurer
07-24-2007, 01:12 AM
I have to seperate clubs and national teams!

Club:

1) New England Revolution
This is my local team as I live in Boston, I am at every home game, I am a member of one of the supporters clubs, and have traveled all over the USA to watch them. Although I have to say this is because my hometown of Milwaukee, WI doesn't have a MLS team. Should Milwaukee get an expansion team, expect a lot of emotional duress from me.

2) Newcastle United
My first experience in England was when I was studying in Normandy, France and took the ferry over the channel and went to Canterbury where I met a really cool guy from Newcastle. Then I went back home. This was back when ESPN used to show the EPL. So one day I turned on a game and Newcastle was playing and I cheered for them. And then my mom, who was a flight attendant, bought me a Newcastle jersey on a trip to London--she didn't even know I liked Newcastle, or even soccer at all, she just thought the jersey looked cool. So I think it's destiny for me to be a Newcastle fan. And I feel good with that, because as a Wisconsin native I think there's a lot of similarities between Geordies and Cheeseheads.

3) Paris Saint Germain
A couple years after Normandy, I spent 6 months studying just outside Paris, and I used to go to the Parc des Princes all the time. But it's much harder to follow them now that FSC doesn't carry Ligue 1 anymore.

Those are the teams I love. My sentimental favorites include: Fulham (my USA jersey is a Bocanegra jersey), Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Boca Juniors

National Teams:

1) USA
Obviously

2) Ireland
That's my main heritage

3) France
I spent a lot of time studying in France, and it's kinda like a second home to me.

Sentimental favorites:
Germany, Sweden, Uruguay, and England if any Newcastle players are playing :)

RAIDER
07-24-2007, 04:08 AM
Its another Tottenham Hotspurs fan here .... There not the greatest but ive supported them all my life ....:thumbsup:

MGKpotc8283
07-24-2007, 05:20 PM
I always found this question interesting as an American soccer fan. I was born after the North American Soccer League went under and it wasn't until I was a teenager that the MLS came along. Therefore I didn't grow up cheering for any team. When I really started to follow the game I was usually attracted to teams that had my favorite players on the squad. So in no particular order here are my favorite teams:

DC United - The closest MLS team to where I live. Also they have the most games on tv in my area, so it is easier to follow the team.

Liverpool - When I first started to follow the EPL, Michael Owen was (and still is) one of my favorite players. Eventhough he has since left the club, they're still one of my favorites.

Manchester United - With the amount of talent they are able to attract it's easy for me to enjoy watching them play.

LA Galaxy - I've always enjoyed watching the Galaxy because Donovan is one of my favorite national team players. I also enjoy watching Cobi Jones play (he was my favorite player as a young kid while watching the 94 World Cup). With Beckham now on the team I'm sure I'll be watching more of their games (not like it will be hard with the amount of coverage they're getting).

My favorite national team is of course the U.S. National Team.

Beach Club Babe
08-09-2007, 12:10 PM
In my house we all have a variety of tastes.

DH's Club favorites include Arsenal, Manchester United, Barcelona, and Real Madrid. Yes, I know there is quite a bit of rivalry here, but he supports wherever his favorite players are. He enjoys the watching the U.S. National team, but I think he prefers England. he also enjoys the NY Redbulls, but gets quite aggravated with them.

DD#1 Loves Manchester United as well as Portugal. Obviously, the clue here is that she is in love with Cristiano Ronaldo!

DD#2 (The real soccer player in the family) really prefers the U.S. Women's team, but also the Men's just not as much. She also like Real Madrid and L.A. Galaxy. She, like her father, will watch anyone though!

As for myself, I do enjoy all teams mentioned above. I also enjoy the Argentina National team, New England Revolution, and Spain.

We do watch a lot of soccer/football in this house. The one thing we all agree on is our overwhelming dislike for Chelsea!:thedolls:

The Reservoir Dog
08-09-2007, 12:25 PM
We do watch a lot of soccer/football in this house. The one thing we all agree on is our overwhelming dislike for Chelsea!:thedolls:

Good On You!!!:thumbsup:

sportsguy2315
08-25-2007, 06:32 PM
Here are mine:
1. LA Galaxy- I actually became a fan because of one Landon Donovan. Now that Becks is on the roster, they push over the top.

2. USA national team- Simply b/c I'm an American

3. A TBD Premier League club. I'm starting to follow and learn the Premier system this year, so if anyone has a club for me to follow and why, PM me.