PDA

View Full Version : suitcase for food/snacks?

disneyfan328
07-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Ok, I thought I had this figured out, but then reading some other posts I may be confused, or the rules may have changed so I wanted to get some clarification for anyone that has gone recently.

I wanted to check a suitcase on the airplane with cereal, poptarts, granola bars, pretzels things like that as well as our beach towels (to keep everthing from bouncing around too much) I read on another post that you are not allowed to pack food in your carry on OR checked luggage at all???? Has anyone done this recently or is it not allowed. I could not find anything about this on the TSA website. I just figured that we could save time if we had breakfast stuff in the room, and we aren't renting a car so going to the grocery store is out. I didn't want to have to order online either, I just figured that way I would have a relatively empty suitcase to bring home souvieners in. HELP!!

DessertDivaFL
07-20-2007, 02:59 PM
You are allowed to have dry foods in a carry-on or in a suitcase. They just get suspicious of any kind of liquids. You should be fine to bring snacks on the plane either way.

vamaggie
07-20-2007, 04:10 PM
As long as you pack it in a checked bag, anything (besides flammable/illegal items) is allowed. You can pack snacks and juice boxes too if you want. I would not do carbonated drinks since the lack of pressure/pressure change may make them explode all ovwer everything. For your carry on, you can bring snacks as long as they are not liquids or gels. So granola bars should be ok but yogurt or jelly type stuff would not.

DisneyDudet
07-20-2007, 06:05 PM
I've done this recently, and there has been no problems. Anything liquidy/gel type stuff has to be checked. I would also place those near the top so if TSA needs to open your checked bag, they have it right on top so they don't have to dig.

You should have ZERO problems with dried food like granola bars and poptarts in a carry on or checked bag. Just make sure you leave them in the box when you pack.... they get a little.. crumbly... if you don't!

kcrc
07-20-2007, 06:27 PM
When we vacationed last May, we actually mailed a box to the resort (Contemporary). We sent down boxes of cereal, disposable bowls, snacks, etc. We called the resort to verify the address to use. Then, I believe we just marked our names and our check-in date on the box. When we arrived, we just had to pick up our box from the customer service.

Strmchsr
07-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Just as an easier solution, I might suggest using Garden Grocer (http://www.gardengrocer.com/) to deliver all of your snacks/breakfast items to your room. It'll save the hassle of having to pack the food items, having TSA possibly search through them, have them crushed and bounced around under the airplane (not to mention the temp extremes) and so on.

snifflesmcg
07-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Last year I packed a small suitcase with all kinds of goodies for my WDW vacation. I had granola bars, a few bottles of water, a 6 pk of individual orange juices, along with two bottles of alcohol :secret: in plastic bottles. All of those items arrived just fine. I just checked the bags along with my other luggage and (thanks to DME) they arrived in my hotel with no problems.

dizne4me
07-21-2007, 08:12 AM
This is great to know. We are going in 25 days (I CAN'T WAIT!!) and staying in the cabins at FW. I am planning on packing a huge suitcase full of snacks, dry foods even my iced tea pitcher (I live on iced tea) and I was wondering if this could be a problem - but now, my worries are put to rest. We are going to the grocery store when we get there - but because I live in DE (land of No Sales Tax)--it's cheaper for me to buy what I can here and take it with me. Thanks for letting me know this will be okay:mickey: