PDA

View Full Version : Rafiki's Planet Watch and Dinosaur

FaithTrustPixieDust
07-20-2007, 11:15 AM
We have not spent much time in Animal Kingdom, but plan to on our next trip. We have two kids, DS4 and DD6.

Can I get some feedback on Rafiki's Planet Watch? Is this worth the time that I sense it will involve? How frequently does Pocahontas appear?

I'm also wondering if the kids might be frightened by Dinosaur. I've heard mixed reviews on Dinoland in general.

Thanks for your input! :mickey:

BelleBeauty
07-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Dinosaur is intense. I rode it first in my early teens and was afraid. I have, on almost every trip, witnessed a child crying in terror (and sometimes parents forcing them on anyway...)

You know your kids best, so you will know if they will be terrified. It is a dark, bumpy ride, with sudden frequent visits from VERY realistic dinos. If you have never ridden, I highly suggest riding once yourself before mentioning it to the kids. If they aren't easily shaken, they might love it. Again, you will know best, but if kids are scared at all of the dark or of big scary dinos, chances are it is better to wait.

Rafiki's Planet Watch can be a nice break. If the park is very hot or crowded, it is nice to get on the train and sit for a little bit. I've never seen anything terribly interesting there, but you can catch show displays or characters. The petting zoo is fun for little ones. Something to see if you have the time or need a break from the hustle and bustle of the park.

AuntDJ
07-20-2007, 12:13 PM
We took my 5 yr on Dinosaur, and she was very scared, I don't think I would say terrified, but she was not happy about it!

We did Rafiki Planet watch for the first time this past March. If your kids love animals then this could be a nice place for them....there is a petting zoo...When we first got there Rafiki was doing pics, and we asked the CM who said Pocahontas would be back in about 10 minutes. So we waited, there is quite a bit to see to so we didn't have a problem waiting 10 min.

This is also the only place I have really seen Pocohantas on a regular basis, we accidentally ran into her in Liberty Square at the MK last year and she did make an appearance at the Pirate/Princess Party for us (with John Smith no less).

We spent about an 1 on the train and at the actual conservation station...that was in March so in the summer months, it might take more due to crowds. Also, we didn't linger at the petting zoo, just a couple of pets and off we went.

Have Fun!

DJ

Belle619
07-20-2007, 01:41 PM
I love Dinosaur, but I'm an adult - if I had experienced it as a child, then I probably would have been absolutely terrified. It is intense, to say the least!

Your kids will probably enjoy the petting zoo at Rafiki Planet Watch, but other than that, there isn't much else over there that is worth spending time waiting for the train. My advice would be to save this for later in the day, after riding/seeing other attractions.

mermaidmarian
07-20-2007, 01:44 PM
We did Rafiki's Planet Watch for the first time this past May. I have to admit to being underwhelmed. I really like the concept - and we DID see Pocahontas, but I thought that there was really so much more that could be offered in that space, and it does eat up a bit of time with the round trip train ride - I thought our time was not well spent doing it and I would not go back to it. The petting zoo was just goats, btw.

Sorry to be a wet blanket.:(

Disney Doll
07-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Dinosaur may very well be too intense for your kids given their young age. It's a great ride, but it is dark, it is loud, and big, mean looking dinosaurs do jump out at you. You might test it first to see if you think your kids could handle it.

We usually skip Rafiki. We only do one day at AK and have found that's Rafiki is just not the best use of our time. The train ride can be relaxing, but once you get there, there's really not all that much to see. Other than the petting zoo and the characters, there isn't much to occupy little ones.

like2workout
07-20-2007, 02:21 PM
if your kids like animals, they'll LOVE rafiki's planet watch. i always enjoy it. they have an area with several goats that you can pet, and it's very interesting to talk with their trainers. inside, there are lots of snakes, spiders, etc. to see. there's a vet clinic also where at certain times you can see them working on some of the animals. each time we've been, we've seen rafiki, pocahontas, and jiminy cricket. it's never been crowded around any of them and they are very accessible. i think most people must not know they are there. but anyway, i would give it a try. i think you'll like it. my family always enjoys going.

dolphinmickey9170
07-20-2007, 02:45 PM
You should never not do an area because of other's opinions. Go, try it, make your own opinion. If you don't like it, don't do it again, but then on the other side, if you do like it...enjoy it to its fullest. I hope you try it all and like it all, but not everything is for everyone.

Have a great time.

Davyjones
07-20-2007, 02:47 PM
I can see that Dinosaur can be scary for kids. It's dark, fast, bumpy and dinos pop up out of nowhere towards the ride. It is intense. I would not be a good judge of at what age kids would be okay with the ride.

As far as Rafiki's, I personally like it. Of course, I am a zookeeper. I like reading all the signs and info about conservation of our planet. I like the videos of famous conservationists talking about their projects and work. It has been a year since I've been there, so I don't know how much of it has changed. I like the petting zoo. I agree that it is a good break from the busy-ness of Animal Kingdom itself. :penguin:

RocknRoller94
07-20-2007, 03:37 PM
When my family goes, it's always fun to ride the Wildlife Express to RPW, but we usually spend a small (if any) amount of time there. It has many educational and interactive exhibits. There is also a petting zoo and some videos on different subjects in nature. I woudn't spend much time at RPW.

As for Dinosaur, there are many interesting dinos and plant-life that you'll see from your time machine(ride vehichle), but the carnotaurous ( a T-Rex with horns) will chase you ( he is unfortunately hungry) and watch out for the Meteors. Probably not a good ride for the kids.

IloveDisney71
07-20-2007, 08:07 PM
About Dinosuar: One of my children went on the ride when she was 10 years old. She is now 17 and has never been back on the ride. She says she knows it's silly, but she just can't make herself go on that ride. I had never ridden it until I rode it with her. If I had, I wouldn't have taken her on it. I loved it, but she does not like anything scary. My mom agrees with my daughter. She doesn't care for the ride either.

jennifer99
07-21-2007, 08:09 AM
We took my DS on Dinosaur a couple years ago when he was five. He hid his face during the ride but asked to go again. He loves all kinds of scary rides but I think this one got to him a little. He did not ask to ride it last year so we skipped it. He says he wants to go on it in Sept. - we'll see. :mickey:

Both our kids love the Boneyard's Dino Dig area. It has never been crowded when we have gone and it shaded. The kids like playing in the "sand".

RPW was not super exciting for us the only time we went to it in 2003. The kids liked petting the animals but wanted to know what else there was to do. My DH did not like feeling "trapped". He wanted to walk back instead of waiting for the train but you cannot - there is only one way in or out that we know of.

Have a wonderful trip:mickey:

LarryBoy
07-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Our son first rode Dinosaur when he was 5. He got through it ok, but said he didn't want to ride it again. Actually my wife is terrified of this ride so I guess we won't be ridding it again any time soon.
As for Rafiki's we like it, but don't spend a ton of time there. If your kids like animals they'll enjoy the petting zoo, and there is a chance some baby animals might be on display as well. It holds setimental value for us because the first character my son wasn't afraid of was Stanley at RPW.

EvilQueen2006
07-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Dinosaur has always been a big hit with my daughter, who first rode when she was 5. It is difficult to know what children will be ok with and what they won't. My daughter rode RnRC when she was 7 and loved it, but when we went back when she was 10 she was scared of Space Mountain. You know your kid best.

As for Rafiki's planet watch. Its a good place to spend some time if you have extra time. Nothing you can't experience at your local zoo though. We go about once every 2-3 trips.

Here we go again...
07-22-2007, 09:46 AM
You should never not do an area because of other's opinions. Go, try it, make your own opinion. If you don't like it, don't do it again, but then on the other side, if you do like it...enjoy it to its fullest. I hope you try it all and like it all, but not everything is for everyone.

Have a great time.

I agree 100%

I avoided Rafiki's since park opening because I never heard anyhthing good about it.
My friend (Teay) works at AK and has been trying to get me to go. We finally went in July and LOVED it. We did not even go near the petting zoo. There is so much to learn at Rafiki's. And, if you get there early, you might even get to see some animals being worked on. If not, they show videos of some of the animals they have been able to help.

Go and form your own opinion. If you do not like it, leave.

Eeyore's My Favorite
07-22-2007, 11:52 AM
I personally love Rafiki's & the train ride out to the conservation station. The last time the entire family went we were surprised when Rafiki himself plopped down on the seat next to my DD who was about 17 at the time & rode all the way out there with us. We love the petting zoo and just the totally relaxed atmosphere out there. We usually go to relax a bit. I think the last time we were there the talking trashcan got on my nerves, but it's absolutely hilarious to watch it interact with everyone from the kids to the adults. I hope they still have it when we're there in September.

I myself won't do dinosaur again. I did the ride with the family right after it opened & again a few years later as a chaperone for a group of middle school girls. Never again - scared me - the girls loved it - plus they loved being able to tease me for the rest of the day.......:secret:. I don't think we've even been near that area the last 2 times we've been at AK.

But as other posters said, you know your children, you know what they can handle & if they don't want to do the ride when you get in there - just leave. We've done that too. :mickey:

RBrooksC
07-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Well, back in 2001 I took my neice and nephew on Dinosaur (along with my wife and their mom.) One was six and one was four. The children sat inside the adults. Were the kids scared during the ride? Of course they were. I know that when I was there age, I loved to be scared on a ride. I figured, let them ride and see how they would react. My nephew got off the ride and did nothing but talk about it. I have never seen a child more excited about a ride after it than he was.

Children are very resilent and can take more than parents give them credit. Most children take there cue from how parents react to something. If a parent says "this is scary," of course the child will think it is scary.

Mickey'sGirl
07-23-2007, 01:27 PM
I am almost positive your kids would love both the train ride up to Rafikis, and the actual exhibit when you get there. The walk through station is very interesting for all ages, and my guys just love the goats.

Dinosaur -- you will have to judge on your own. My DS3 enjoyed it, but wasn't hyper to go back right away. He has been asking to ride it since getting home, however. My DS9 LOVES it, and has since he was almost 4. If your kids are into thrills, and don't mind a good game "boo" -- I say give it a try. If you are seriously worried, then don't and make sure to come back when they are older!