PDA

View Full Version : WHTI Passport Laws

tarzan_rocks
07-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Does anyone know if there has been any further movement on this legislation?

*On June 15, 2007 the House of Representatives voted to prevent implementation of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative until June 2009. The January 1, 2008 plan to require all people entering the U.S. by land and sea to have a passport (or other appropriate form of federal identification) has been taken off the fast track. Before this action can become official, the Senate must approve the package and it must then be signed by President Bush. The Senate vote is expected before federal lawmakers break for their summer recess later this month.

tr

BronxTigger
07-20-2007, 10:39 AM
I don't know about the legislation timeline.

But, if you are planning to go somewhere outside the country, you should have a passport. They are really not that expensive when you consider they are valid for 10 years. (or at least they used to be)

TammiMcMan
07-20-2007, 11:57 AM
I would highly recommend that anyone who has a trip planned, keep an eye on this website for the most current and up to date information, http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html . According to it, the requirement is still the same and has not been changed to 2009. Of course, it also depends on which cruise you are taking. Even though you may not be required to have a passport to gain entry back into the US, you may need one to enter a particular port.

Personally, if I were in the planning stages, I would just go ahead and get the passports. I think so many people waited out the last delay and some missed their trips entirely due to not having a passport in time. At least now, they are allowing travel with a receipt that your passport is in process, but that's a stress I could do without. Also, in case of an emergency situation, where you would need to fly home, then a passport would be required I believe.