PDA

View Full Version : roller coasters

Nekochan
07-20-2007, 07:17 AM
My son and I both tend towards motion sickness, although my son can take the roller coasters better than I can. Last year, we went on big thunder, splash and goofy's barnstormer and were fine on all of them. We went on tower of terror like 5 times in a row and LOVED it. I want to try the following rides this year, but I'm worried about motion sickness. Any feedback?

Space Mountain
Test Track
mission space, weenie non spin side
star tours
rock n roller coaster
dinosaur
expedition everest

Thank you.

PeterPanFan
07-20-2007, 07:59 AM
You will be fine on all of them. I would however stay away from Star Tours. The simulators tend to make people dizzy.

alpro2
07-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Simulators tend to make me a little more queesy (sp?) than rides. Star Tours is a simulator and the non-spinning Mission: Space. If you are nervous about motion sickness but still want to ride, you should try the pressure-point wrist bands.

Good luck and have fun.

BMan62
07-20-2007, 08:33 AM
Let me qualify my responses by saying that I was a wuss the first time I went on any of these rides. I have vertigo, sometimes very bad bouts, and had major concerns on rides with any kind of a drop where I could see the ground. (Pflume ride at Knoebel's Amusement Park in Elysburg, PA made my heart jump up in my throat and it's only like a 60 foot drop.) I have been on every one of the rides you mention and offer the following:

Dinosaur is a very 'herky-jerky' ride, so if bouncing makes your motion sickness worse, I would suggest begging off this ride.

Star Tours fits in to this category as well, but is slightly smoother.

EE is a bit more thrilling of a ride than BTMRR, but is actually quite a bit smoother. The backwards part may throw you for a bit.

Changes in pressure on the M:S ride, even the 'weenie' one, could set you off, but I would try this one anyway. Much smoother than Star Tours.

SM is a relatively tame, personally I think it is smoother than BTMRR, and is a 'dark' ride. It is possible that the darkness could make it less enjoyable for you, but if you did OK on BTMRR this should be a good ride for you.

TT really has a few segments that simulate quick starts, stops, and turns and finishes with the speed test around the outside of the building. There is also a test for the suspension that is quite bumpy, but short. I would say it would be fine for you.

RnRC, again a 'dark' ride, has speed, turns, and rolls to possibly affect you, but it all happens so quickly that you really don't have time to be affected too much.

Enjoy you trip and let us know how you did when you get back!

LauraF
07-20-2007, 08:48 AM
My brother suffers from motion sickness, so I asked him:

Space mountain scared him, but once he went on it he was fine.
Test Track he loves, but he did say the jerkiness in the braking test did make him worry the first time he went on.
He's never gone on Mission Space, but IMO, the G force may be strong, but it's really smooth.
He likes Star Tours but it does make him a bit dizzy because it jerks around so much. (He rides if everybody else does, but he doesn't seek it out.)
RRC - he says it moves so fast that it's not a problem. He's had more issues with getting headaches from having his head whipped around on that ride.
Dinosaur - don't bother. It's very jerky and bouncy; it gave him some trouble when he last rode it.
EE - neither of us have been on, so no info

Lizzie
07-20-2007, 11:56 AM
I get motion sickness in the wave pool. And sometimes I don't feel that great when I travel so I get motion sickness patches you can get them from your doctor and are amazing. When I ride in a car I have to ride in the front cant look at anything but the rode and when I am wearing the patches I can sick in the back of a bus and read and have no problems.

But without them I ride all the roller coasters and Expedition Everest with no problem. I can not do Star Tours, I did the original version of Mission Space once for my husband and refused to push any buttons I just looked straight forward, but I still did not do well. I would also avoid the tammer version because it is a simulator.

Hope that helps.

GrmGrninGost
07-20-2007, 12:56 PM
I have some problems with motion sickness also. The rides I have had trouble with are Star Tours, Dinosaur and the original Mission Space. I have not tried the "weenie" Mission Space yet. I still go on these rides at times. But, I make sure it's later in the evening and a good while after dinner. That way if I start to feel bad, it won't ruin my whole day. :sick:

mermaidmarian
07-20-2007, 01:29 PM
The simulators give me the most trouble at WDW - I don't love doing Star Tours, but DS does, so I buck up, but I often keep my eyes closed through out. I have had an afternoon ruined from the after effects of Star Tours. For that reason, I have not and will not give Mission Space a "whirl" - the chances of it making me feel ill for the rest of the day are too high, IMO.

I don't have problems with any of the other rides, although I will not do RnR more than 2x in a row.

Have fun!

boobalk
07-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Here's my personal break-down on your choices ona scale from 1-5 (1 being tame)...

Space Mountain-2. 28 mph mostly in the dark under a starry sky. No loops, but some sharp turns and unexpected drops! :thumbsup:
Test Track - 3. Mainly because of speed. Fastest ride on property. Outdoor track @ 65 mph. :thumbsup:
Mission Space-5 (g-force side) they have barf bags on board for a reason. 4 (wussie side-my side) the trip to Mars is AWSOME!:thumbsup:
Star Tours-4. Do before you eat. Simulates the flight in Stars Wars IV when Luke is trying to destroy the Death Star...Way Cool!!:thumbsup:
RRC -5. INCREDIBLE!! 0-60 in 2.6 seconds from the launch into inversion. 2 barrell rolls, lots of neon lights, and some very LOUD and awsome Aerosmith jams. All in the dark! And in your own limo!!:thumbsup:
Dinasour -2. Not fast at all, but VERY bumpy. Should avoid if you have a bad back.
EE -5. LOVE IT! Runaway mine train goes about 55 mph thru the mountain. Broken tracks means you go backwards IN THE DARK and Mr Yeti is waiting for you!:thumbsup:

These are just my personal summaries. I hope they help you somewhat. Frankly, I love them all!:thumbsup:

Belle619
07-20-2007, 02:37 PM
I get motion sickness from time to time as well. I think with all of these rides, it is important to try to pin point what it is that will trigger an episode for you (i.e. going fast, sharp turns, etc.)

I actually do well on most rides, except the lights spinning around on Space Mountain make me very uneasy, even though the ride itself is tame. I also personally have a problem with going upside down, even though rides like RnR are fast and I may not be bothered by it, I just don't chance it.

dolphinmickey9170
07-20-2007, 02:41 PM
My DH, who extremely sensitive to motion, will not go on any of these rides for fear of being sick the rest of the day. He tried Dinosaur last year and it wasn't bad, tried it again this year and walked around dizzy and lightheaded the rest of the evening. Each person is different. My suggestion - dramamine which you can get over the counter for motion sickness. Good luck and you are your own advocate, if you can't do it, don't. Have a great time.

RocknRoller94
07-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Space Mountain is jerky, but not to bad (don't sit in the very back). Mission: Space (weenie version) and Star Tours work the same way(motion seats) so try one, the ride the other depending on your experience on the other. Dinosaur also jerks, and will probably be worse than SM.

Stu29573
07-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Actually, this is kind of a hard call. Different people react differently on different rides...However, that being said I get motion sick (even in a hammock!) but I can handle:

Star Tours- I think the story makes me forget the motion.

Big Thunder- No problems, great ride

Space Mountain- The worst part was riding it the first time and not knowing what to expect. There are NO big drops on it, however, and I did fine.

Test Track- As long as I don't read in the car, I'm fine (no, I haven't actually read in the car)

Dinosaur- it's jerky, but the intensity seems to come from the loud noises and effects rather than the movement IMHO. I do fine on it.

I don't know about Mission Space or EE because I've never been on them.

I can't handle:

Rock N Rollercoaster- although I really wantd to. I tried twice and got sick as a dog both times.

Tower of Terror- Again, I really wanted to like it. However, the drops kill me. It makes the butterflies in my stomach want to fly out, if you know what I mean.

Body Wars- You probably won't have the opportunity to ride this anyway, but although it's the same simulator that they use on Star Tours, the ride is much rougher. I didn't get totally sick, just a little green..

I don't know if any of this is any help, but hopefully it will help a little!:mickey:

jszczur5
07-21-2007, 12:30 AM
Keeping in mind that you suffer from motion sickness, you should have no problem on:
Space Mountain
Test Track
"Weenie version" of Mission Space
Dinosaur - jerky, but not too bad
Expedition Everest - it was atmospherically scary the first time, but no motion sickness to speak of.

Be Careful with:
Rock'n Roller Coaster - you should be good the first time, but the effects are cumulative. I love coasters, but 3 trips in a row, are enough for me before I need a break.
Star Tours - you can always close your eyes, which will reduce most of the sensations

You should probably avoid:
Original version of Mission Space - you absolutely cannot close your eyes or take your focus off the screen. Forget trying to fulfill your duties as Commander, Pilot etc., as this may cause you to look away from the screen. Those barf bags are there for a reason.
Spinning Tea Cups - forget it, especially if you are riding with people who like to make it really whirl - you will really hurl.

EllieMae
07-21-2007, 01:09 AM
Like so many of the above posters, I too suffer from motion sickness on many types of rides/fast IMAX movies/ sometimes on car trips, so I will give my feedback on the rides you asked about:

Space Mountain - love it, not fast, just keep your eyes open and you should be fine. AC works great in there so thats a plus.
Test Track - I love it, didn't feel any sickness at all.
mission space, weenie non spin side- sorry, I still don't want to try it after :sick: after Body Wars many many years ago, I feel like it might ruin a day of my trip and its not worth it to me, but I hear it's an awesome ride.
star tours- rode it when it first came out, made me queasy but not as bad as Body Wars, haven't ridden it since for above reason.
rock n roller coaster- My absolute Favorite Ride at WDW!!!! Love it!! No motion sickness at all for me on this ride, very smooth.
dinosaur- great ride, a little bumpy but didn't experience any sickness
expedition everest- awesome coaster, just rode in June, felt a little sick after but not too bad, I think that the backwards part did a number on me, but now that I have ridden it once it won't make me feel that way again. :mickey: