PDA

View Full Version : Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey Circus - copying Disney?

GrumpyFan
07-19-2007, 08:04 PM
We went to see the circus today at the Houston, Reliant Stadium, and it was great. However, we couldn't help but notice how much it seemed to copy some of Disney's shows. To start with they called it the Circus of Dreams, and they awarded a family "from the audience", a dream gig of being in the circus. The father got to be the ring master, the mom an acrobat, sister a dancer, and the young son, who didn't know what he wanted to do, was encouraged to use his imagination and dream of what he wanted to do. He was then chased around by a very scary (Malificent looking) dragon.

There were several other Disney-like references throughout the show that we found amusing, but all-in-all, it was fun.

Dracula766
07-19-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm going to see the show on Sunday. :clown:

I'm sure it can't be as bad as the Shriner circus. I saw that a few years ago & they were straight up playing the Illuminations music.

GrumpyFan
07-19-2007, 10:52 PM
The circus itself was fun, and enjoyable, we were just surprised at the coincidental likeness to some of Disney's promotions and shows. Of course, you know what they say, "Imitiation is the sincerest form of flattery".

I went on the Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey web page and noticed that there are three teams, Red, Blue and Gold. Each has their own theme. The Blue team, which is currently in Houston, has the theme "The Circus of Dreams".

conorsmom2000
07-19-2007, 11:02 PM
I need to check with my husband, because I'm not 100% sure, but we saw that same show....and I'm pretty sure we saw it in early or mid 2006. A part of me thinks that can't be right because I thought they changed the shows every year....but, I'm almost positive we didn't go this year.... :confused: Anyway, if I'm right, and we did go last year, it would have been before the Year of a Million dreams started with Disney, which would actually make it a coincidence that it had the same type of theme. But, I'm not trusting my memory on this one.. :blush: I do know that we weren't thrilled with the show and had all liked it better in 2005.

RenDuran
07-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm just curious....What sort of special treat is it to be the special family in an elepant-abusing circus?! Do you get your own bull-hook?

DisneyDog
07-20-2007, 12:20 PM
We saw that same show over a year ago....but the "family" we saw were ringers. That aspect of the show was cute, but I was disappointed there were no big cats. Instead, they used trained house cats and dogs. Cute, but not quite the same impact. Also they no longer had a high wire act, which was always my favorite.

TheRustyScupper
07-20-2007, 02:35 PM
. . . they awarded a family "from the audience", a dream gig of being in the circus . . .

1) They have been doing this on-and-off since the sixties.
2) Some years it was real people, other they were Circus acts.

January-2007
07-20-2007, 03:41 PM
On the one hand, yeah it does sound similar, but on the other hand, we, as Disney lovers, tend to see Disney in a lot of things that may or may not have any influences from Disney, it's just how we see things sometimes. Rose colored glasses! :D

Dracula766
07-20-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm just curious....What sort of special treat is it to be the special family in an elepant-abusing circus?! Do you get your own bull-hook?

:elephant::horse::wishes::clown:
I hope they pick me. My own bull hook would be even better

GrumpyFan
07-22-2007, 12:03 AM
Reading through the comments, it appears that some may have missed the quote marks around the "from the audience", translation meaning they were plants, real circus people in disguise.