PDA

View Full Version : Poly - what is your opinion?

ScottyP
07-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Hi there,
We have been re directed to the Poly due to the construction at AKL. What is it like to stay at? The AKL is very nice as it is new, small and well themed. How does the Poly compare?

SBETigg
07-19-2007, 07:06 PM
We've never stayed at AKL, but we absolutely love the Polynesian. It is a very manageable size, maybe a bit more spread out than the AKL. The view across the lagoon to the MK and the easy transportation options can't be beat. If you're getting a Polynesian stay for the price of an AKL stay, you're getting a great deal. The Polynesian is more deluxe in price.

The pool, like the AKL's pool, is zero entry with great theming (volcano) and a slide. There is no hot tub. Restaurant options are good-- 'Ohana, Kona Cafe (great coffee at the coffee bar) and Captain Cook's for quick service. The Great Ceremonial House (lobby, shopping, restaurant area) is well themed and fun. The grounds are lush and exotic feeling. Rooms are large with queen beds and a day bed and newly redecorated with flat screen tvs.

mickeefan
07-19-2007, 07:44 PM
We also love the Polynesian. You are getting a fantastic price break there.
The beach is a great place to watch wishes and the electric water pagent. You have the monorail and a boat to the Magic Kingdom.
You can also walk over to the TTC and catch the Epcot monorail from there.

DVC2004
07-19-2007, 07:45 PM
I've stayed at AKL and I think the Poly is better!(Although AKL is very nice). The only thing missing of course is the savannahs. The monorail, lush landscape and theming, awesome dining, and view of MK- top notch. Also the rooms are larger at the Poly. You will really enjoy it.:thumbsup:

PetefromRI
07-19-2007, 07:51 PM
It sounds like you got the deal of a lifetime.We've been to AKL but never stayed over night.It's a great resort but we think that you can't really beat the Poly if you like the Island feel and it's small enough that all rooms are pretty close to everything compared to the moderates.The transportation options are the best in Disney and if you don't want to fight the crowds for fireworks in MK just sit on the beach with a cool drink and watch them from there.You guys are lucky!The only complaint we have about the Poly is the lack of a hot tub.

Carol
07-20-2007, 08:08 AM
You are extremely lucky. I'd only be upset if the opposite happened. ;)

We've vacationed at both. There is no comparison. Animal Kingdom Lodge is certainly not small. There are 1,293 rooms - as opposed to the Polynesian's 847.

We prefer the "Island" resorts. We don't like having everyone hanging out in one building. It feels too much like a hotel to me.

The room size, location, restaurants and transportation alone is a vast improvement at the Polynesian. I just feel you can get the Lodge experience with a visit. Although we loved having the savanna outside our balcony - once was enough. We bought into the Vacation Club five years ago - but we return to the Polynesian whenever possible. I'll be there in October and cannot wait.

Enjoy. :lei:

mrsgaribaldi
07-20-2007, 08:48 AM
We stayed at the Poly in Jan and it's my new favorite. I would stay there all the time if I could:blush::mickey:

BigRedDad
07-20-2007, 09:35 AM
You have gotten a great deal. Poly for less than $300 a night is a great price. The convenience alone is well worth it. The only place AKL is close to is AK. The other rides seem to take a very long time when we were there.

The only downside I can see is if you had a Savannah room and kids that were expecting to see the animals. However, the Poly will more than make up for it.

tikiman
07-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Well I have stayed at the Polynesian many times and at the AKL twice with many other visits to the AKL to eat. We have been in a standard room and a suite at the AKL. It is one of my favorite resorts but for us does not compare to the Polynesian.

You say the AKL is new and small (I assume you mean not far to walk). Well the Polynesian over the last few years has been completely redone inside and out and the rooms are redesigned (more of an AKL feel). The rooms are about 50 sq/ft or more (depending on the room) larger. The AKL has been open a while now (6 years) and some of the rooms I saw are in need of rehab so in a way the rooms at the Polynesian are newer since some were just finished this year. Also our room out at the end of one of the trails was the longest walk I ever had from a room to the lobby, pools and food than I ever walked from my room at the Polynesian so I don’t consider the Polynesian large. The location of the Polynesian is really what sets it apart from the AKL for us. If the AKL was on the monorail I would say that it would be a close second to the Polynesian as our favorite resort and we have stayed at just about every deluxe resort there. Also I love a good water slide and the slide at the AKL is fun if you are 5 years old. We also love having the beach right at the end of the zero entry and looking across to the castle from the pool, especially at night when the fireworks are going off or the electrical water pageant is going on the lagoon. Now the food at the AKL is the best but we love eating at the Polynesian also even when we are not staying there.

The bottom line is you should see for yourself because what we say is only our opinion.

Aloha

Steve

ScottyP
07-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Thank you all so much for your feedback. I feel much better. The AKL is the only hotel we have ever stayed at so we were not sure what to expect. It sounds like we will be very happy. The kids are excited to be so close to Cinderella's castle. We had a standard view booked so it seems as though we got quite a deal.

Maleficent's Dad
07-20-2007, 11:36 AM
The Poly is extremely popular on these boards. You won't find much criticism of the resort!

The transportation at the Poly is TOPS. You can walk to the TTC and get direct monorails to both the MK & EPCOT - we preferred the direct "Express Monorail" as opposed to the "Local" from the GCH to the MK. The buses to all other points seem to run very efficiently. There is a very relaxing boat taking you to & from the MK as another option.

The location - with incredible views of the MK - is second to none as well! You have easy access to the other monorail resorts for dining options.

We weren't overly impressed with Captain Cook's or the hustle & bustle of the GCH (it always seemed very loud to us).

There are plenty of reviews on Kona and O'hana's in the dining forums.

Many love the spread out houses of the Poly - we prefer the "self-contained" buildings with everything under one roof - to us, it's nice to not have to go outside in the summer rainstorms! That's a matter of personal preference, however.

Poly is a great resort with terrific theming. The torch lighting in the evenings and the Luau are nice options to check out as well.

Overall, the Poly would win hands down for us over the AKL.

Have a wonderful trip! :mickey:

GrmGrninGost
07-20-2007, 01:18 PM
I love the Poly! Next to Wilderness Lodge, it is my favorite WDW resort! :mickey:

DisneyorBust
07-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Another POLY:tikki: lover here!
I believe that you and your family won't be disappointed. Our children have had a great time at the resort, the pools, the beach and the ease of transportation make it a great resort for families.
Since the recent longhouse refurbs, the rooms are better than ever.
A couple of suggestions if I may; you may want to try for the following longhouses as they have larger standard rooms. Tokelau, Rapa Nui and Tahiti.( if I remember correctly)
And check out Tikkiman's :tikki:Polynesian resort site, it's fantastic!:thumbsup:

murphy1
07-21-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm from Florida and it's a favorite of many Floridians, as well, to me it screams "you're at Disney World" the minute you see it. It truly evokes childhood memories for me. I love to just visit this resort and eating there is such a treat! Count yourself lucky, my friend! many would love to be in your shoes!

krorx
07-22-2007, 11:01 AM
:joy:I'm jealous! go and enjoy. You will not be disappointed.

LudwigVonDrake
07-22-2007, 11:18 AM
I just stayed at the Polynesian two weeks ago and LOVED IT!!! Transportation is a plus as you are only about 5 minutes from MK via Monorail. Two pools and a gorgeous lobby plus the rooms are spacious.

You can't go wrong with the Poly in my opinion :tikki: