PDA

View Full Version : Are they still selling SSR?

Roo Girl
07-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Or have they moved on to AKV at this point? I can't imagine folks wanting to buy at SSR if AKV is available and so tempting! We own points at both- and like both for different reasons but I imagine if I was a soon-to-be-DVC-owner, I'd be swayed way more by AKV than SSR for a purchase...

mprewitt
07-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Yes, they are still selling SSR.

Becky'sMom
07-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Yes, as of this past Thursday thay are still selling SSR...two reasons you might buy there instead of Animal Kingdom is: 1)SSR incentive is $2pp greater than AK. 2)Annual dues at AK are higher than those at SSR due to the cost of maintaining the savannah.
Also, if you are not travelling during a particularly busy time, you can book 7 months out and stay anywhere you want anyway.
I love the idea of stepping out onto my patio and seeing Giraffe and Zebra grazing, but I also remember when I was in the market to buy a home and looked at one that was near a Bison ranch....it will be somewhat smelly, especially on a hot day with the wind blowing toward you.
Lauren

TexasPrincessAurora
07-22-2007, 02:14 PM
For us purchasing SSR was definitely a financial decision. We love AKL, but when we purchased there was an even higher incentive to purchase SSR over AKL, as well as lower annual dues. With the amount of points we were purchasing we couldn't justify the extra cost.

lockedoutlogic
07-25-2007, 09:14 PM
To the original point.....

There is a definite reason that someone would purchase SSR over AK....

The AK theming has never been a big hit. While it may possibly be the best Disney Resort ever built....they simply have not been very successful pushing it.

I don't have numbers to back it up completely....but i can tell you first hand that they couldn't sell the thing during the first 2 years it was open....it has almost always been available since...and now they are converting a large number of the existing rooms into DVC....

I believe AKL is the most unsuccessful resort in WDW history...and it's not even close....

but she's a beauty...

Roo Girl
07-26-2007, 10:15 AM
The AK theming has never been a big hit. While it may possibly be the best Disney Resort ever built....they simply have not been very successful pushing it.

I believe AKL is the most unsuccessful resort in WDW history...and it's not even close....

but she's a beauty...

Isn't that so funny? I mean, its gorgeous, has amazing theming and immersion in the "show" and yet it isn't clamored over as much as even a moderate? Do you think it really has to do w/ the distance from parks except AK? We gladly drive there for breakfast at Boma every single trip. I'm so thankful they opened it up to DVC and we bought immediately. Though I can definitely see myself preferring SSR during one trip over AKV, for example. They are so different in their own ways.

That might be why the considered DVC at AKL in the first place- to guarantee filling the place and get some $$ back on all that unused land...Works for me!!

Aurora
07-26-2007, 04:30 PM
They'll probably still be selling SSR for awhile simply because of its size. AKL will compete because of theming, but...

I do think that AKL's biggest disadvantage is that you have to take a bus to get anywhere -- even to the Animal Kingdom park. All the other deluxes have alternative transportation -- boats, monorail, your feet, etc., to at least one theme park or attraction. Buses are the rule at AK.

As far as DVC, the AK villas will be at that same disadvantage. At least OKW and SSR have boats to Downtown Disney for a diversion, or you can walk there from either resort.

I bet if there were a boat or monorail from AKL to anywhere, or if you could walk from AK to AKL, that would significantly raise its appeal to beyond only those who are attracted to the African/animal theme.

lockedoutlogic
07-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Distance is a big culprit with the lack of success at AKL....

The very rushed and still incomplete nature of the Animal Kingdom park may also still be a factor as well....it's still difficult to spend a good solid day there...and it's usually the 3rd or 4th park on everyone's list.

I also think that there are certain personnel preferences that Disney didn't recognize when they built the lodge....but we shouldn't really get in to that.

KevGuy
07-26-2007, 05:20 PM
The reason I bought SSR over AKV last April was 1.) the money, no matter what you save on the cost by $2 a point and the dues are cheaper. I expect the AKV dues to increase more in the future because of the animals. 2.) Location. While not as close to things either, there is DTD. 3.) AKV was basically pictures of what it would look like while SSR was online and ready to go and be toured if you want. I like to be able to touch and feel things I spend a lot of money on. Sometimes ideas don't come to fruition. All that being said I had planned on buying into AKV in a couple of years when we can afford it again and get more points. But unfortunately I am gonna hold out for CRV now as the allure of a monorail DVC is too appealing and I really think it is gonna happen. I may still get a 100pt contract there because we do like AK and Kiddiani Village looks to be just simply off the hook. If the CRV ends up being an idea that never comes to fruition then AKV will definately be the next one we buy into. :thumbsup: I really don't think you can go wrong either way especially given the amount of years you gain over the other older DVC resorts. I'd rather go for the years and length of contract for AKV or SSR and take my chances at the others at the 7 month booking time.:mickey: