PDA

View Full Version : Total Billion dollar remake of DCA

aprilshowers93
07-19-2007, 10:41 AM
I thought I would create this thread for new information about the remake of California Adventure. Disney execs just approved a billion dollar budget to totally makeover the park. Hotel bugets and money used to build Toy Story Mania is not even a part of that money budgeted for the redo.

Here is some info I found on multiple sites.
-There are serious plans for hotels on the lot with at least two hotels being planned on opening in the next 5 to 6 years
-The cheesy surf shops and restaurants would be gone and in it's place a Victorian beer garden dining environment.
-Paradise Pier will be redone in a victorian feel.
-The number I'm hearing tossed around is $1.1 Billion (give or take 10%). This is just for the park itself, a separate budget is included for hotels and vacation club expansion and for continual improvements over at the original theme park, Disneyland. 1.4 billion was spent on the DCA originally.
-"Bob Weiss, an Imagineer who had a hand in the original concepts for Disney-MGM Studios and Disney's America, has been brought back into the fold to oversee the relaunch project. When it comes down to it, that's what this is - a relaunch. It's going to happen in phases, they can't just shut the park down for a few years to redo everything, but it's going to happen. At the end, perhaps at the 10 year anniversary, I'm hoping that in addition to a new jewel of a park, one that deserves to be across the square from Walt's original crown jewel, there will be a new name, a new brand. One that deserves to have the Walt Disney name preceding of it."

Tell your thoughts on the issue and info you may know. Keep updating if new info comes out.

Figment!
07-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Until there is an announcment or press release from Disney, this is all just rumours.

... still interesting none-the-less.

WDWizard
07-19-2007, 12:26 PM
This is good news. They are saying that DCA will eventually be a worthy second gate just like Epcot or Tokyo DisneySea. I'm sure what has been reported is true, and I'm excited to see how it all comes out in the end. 1 billion is a good amount to work with for improvements, and I believe that it cost 1 billion to make the park in the first place.

DoomBuggyDude
07-19-2007, 12:58 PM
I truly hope that Bruce finally gets his "Carousel of Color" lagoon show off the ground soon.

From his drawings and music demos, this show
will finally give Fantasmic a run for it's money.

:thumbsup:

Chescat
07-19-2007, 02:33 PM
I've been really impressed with Disney Resort management the last few years. We are finally getting the dedication to the parks that was sorely missed during the Paul Pressler era. All Pressler was concerned about was making a big Disney Store of the parks.

I've heard about the plans for Tomorrowland too. Bringing back the people mover and moving the rockets back to their original position above the people mover. That would sure stop the bottle neck at the front area there if this comes true.

Another rumor I heard yesterday is that the deal with McDonald's is coming to an end, so the purist out there that didn't want the big McAttack in the parks, will now be happy.

aprilshowers93
07-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Sorry for the misinformation. The announcement HASN'T actually been made yet, but I am very excited for it. One site said we will probably here by the end of the summer at the latest. 1.4 billion was spent on dca when it was built and now a rumored 1.1 billion might be spent to remake it! That is a LOT of new exciting rides and themeing.

Jasper
07-20-2007, 03:44 PM
I certainly hope that this does come to pass just like so many other do, but until there is an official announcement I wouldn't let myself get too excited. We have all heard many rumours over the years from sources that were supposedly very credible only to have the rumours turn out to either be false or just disappear with no further comment.

It is also important to remember that every company on the planet, including Disney, do a lot of talking among themselves about different projects that they might like to do. However, talking about them doesn't always mean they get done, especially if we are talking about a billion dollar project.

Let's keep having fun with the rumour but at the same time let's not forget that it is just a rumour at this point.

dixielandings
07-20-2007, 05:16 PM
I guess I'm in the minority - I love DCA. I certainly see need for improvement (do something with the big lagoon, please - like put Fantasmic over there and move the Electrical Parade back to Main St. where it belongs :soapbox:), but all the Parks could use some serious TLC.

On the other hand, if the rumors are true about Tomorrowland, I will be :mickey::mickey: beside myself!!

WDWizard
07-22-2007, 07:15 PM
I truly hope that Bruce finally gets his "Carousel of Color" lagoon show off the ground soon.

From his drawings and music demos, this show
will finally give Fantasmic a run for it's money.

:thumbsup:

I believe the new DCA lagoon show is "Wonderful World of Color" coming in 2009. They are giving it a huge budget, so it looks like this lagoon show could rival Fantasmic and Illuminations.

I wouldn’t even call all these reports on the internet about DCA improvements just rumors, its definitely going to happen, just step by step. Midway Mania is under construction, and Wonderful World of Color and Carland's concept art was released last year.

Carland concept art (http://corporate.disney.go.com/investors/annual_reports/2006/images/drm/2_1.jpg)
Wonderful World of Color concept art (http://corporate.disney.go.com/investors/annual_reports/2006/images/drm/2_6.jpg)

Something interesting I noticed while looking closely at the concept art for the lagoon show is that it includes The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Pirates of the Caribbean, Fantasia, Finding Nemo, some fire effects, globes projecting stuff, and a lot of fountains. Looks cool :)

*tinker_belle*
07-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Carland looks like it might have a Test Track...that would be righteous!!
YES they sure do need to use that lagoon for something. The Rivers of America has multiple uses so the CA lagoon needs something too. I also am not too fond of the boardwalk area of CA, its just like a really expensive fair...lol. I like the sun wheel a lot and Maliboomer but the rest of the rides in that region are reminiscent of fair rides ie: Orange stinger, Mullholland, the zephyr, jellyfish and they feel like kiddy rides to me.
I have 3 favorites at that park but i would really love to have more favs because that park has potential to be so much more. I know it took DL years and years to become what it is today so i guess we'll just have to give CA time to catch up.:mickey:

aprilshowers93
07-24-2007, 01:29 AM
It is rumored that the cheaper boardwalk of today looking Paradise Pier will be replaced by an old style boardwalk with victorian architecture. I think with toy story mania under construction, if the theme appears victorian, and doesn't blend with the current pier, we will all be able to see the rumor is true even if an anouncement isn't made by then.

WDWizard
07-26-2007, 05:53 PM
As it looks, the current exterior steel framework for Midway/Toy Story Mania looks very victorian with those pointed roofs. After it opens the entire pier will probably be renovated to fit with the victorian look of the exterior of Midway/Toy Story Mania.

aprilshowers93
07-27-2007, 12:26 AM
After it opens the entire pier will probably be renovated to fit with the victorian look of the exterior of Midway/Toy Story Mania.

Thats the rumor. I think it will be great!

NYdaily
08-14-2007, 12:11 AM
This has been made official now hasn't it? At least that is what I understand -- but I think the budget is a little smaller.

I've heard they may add "Walt" in front of Disney's California Adventure -- in order to tell the story of Walt's first time in LA. But I'm sure that is just a rumor, as I don't remember reading Walt's journey into a Bugs Land in the autobiography.

WDWizard
08-20-2007, 09:53 PM
This has been made official now hasn't it? At least that is what I understand -- but I think the budget is a little smaller.

I've heard they may add "Walt" in front of Disney's California Adventure -- in order to tell the story of Walt's first time in LA. But I'm sure that is just a rumor, as I don't remember reading Walt's journey into a Bugs Land in the autobiography.
The Walt Disney's California Adventure concept definitely won’t work. The park should have a broader California theme, and yeah- A Bug's Land, Monsters Inc, and Cars don't have anything to do with Walt's life in California. Besides, the concept will only really be embraced and understood by die-hard Disney fans. Other average visitors or tourists won’t pay attention to the Walt Disney storyline (or understand it) while they are in A Bug's Land, on the new Cars ride, Monsters Inc...

I really hope the rumored railroad ride through Grizzly Peak happens, but I don’t think there is any space (I'm not sure what is really inside that mountain other than caves for the raft ride). There is also a rumor that they will add AA's of different animals and other props to enhance GRR's theme.