PDA

View Full Version : Nervous about Teppanyaki

Jeri Lynn
07-19-2007, 10:26 AM
I have ADR's for the Teppenyaki for dinner on our November trip. It will be my sister and I, and my daughter and her Best Friend (both 16).

We were trying to go to some restaurants that we have never been to this trip and so we decided to try Teppanyaki.

I am very nervous about the food. I have never had japanese food before. Is the flavor very different?

Looking at their menu I would probably go with a filet Mignon or the steak with scallops....

I just can't imagine how they cook it.

disneyfan328
07-19-2007, 10:30 AM
the filet mingnon will be a great choice its my personal fave. We have Teppanyaki ressies for our Sept trip twice!!! We haven't eaten at this one but I have checked the menu and it is about the same as most Chain Teppan restaurants like Benihana or Shogun. The flavors are mostly suttle, its more about the style and flair of the cooking. They don't add a ton of spices or anything like that. The ginger dressing on their salads is definetly a different taste, but I love it. It is a little strong, but not in a bad way. Again its all more about the style and knife sklls and they way that the chefs cook everything right there in front of you. If you like steak, you will like it and the grilled veggies are wonderful. They usually give you 2 different sauces in little dishes to try dipping things in. I personally don't like them but at least it give you the chance to try it without having the sauce all over everything. One is a shrimp sauce and one is a soy/steak type sauce. I prefer mine plain. Let us know how you enjoy it once you get back!!!

Mickey'sGirl
07-19-2007, 10:57 AM
I am very nervous about the food. I have never had japanese food before. Is the flavor very different?Not at Teppenyaki -- think American food, cooked in strips and served with rice instead of fries. It is not the least bit crazy tasting. The chef cooking your food is the "different" at Teppenyaki. Very entertaining and quick on a hot table right in front of you. I am sure you will all love it. The food is not the least bit exotic in flavour -- just in how it is prepared and served. :thumbsup:

SBETigg
07-19-2007, 11:29 AM
The predominant flavors are soy and ginger. They're subtle, not overpowering, but pretty much everything that comes off the grill tastes lightly of soy and ginger. If you like soy and ginger, you are all set. If not, reconsider.

Jeri Lynn
07-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the replies! I think we will try it, we should at least once!!:mickey:

Here we go again...
07-19-2007, 11:39 AM
You should be fine. The food is very good and they do not put too much seasoning on anything. In fact, our local Tsubaki has much more flavor than Teppanyaki. I don't mean that in a bad way... the food there is great. I guess they just tone it down a bit for us Americans.

TheRustyScupper
07-19-2007, 12:15 PM
1) You could get "Japanese" food at the Sushi bar.
2) Or can order it as appetizers or side dishes.
3) For the teppan sit-down, it is really American.
4) Sure, a little soy or teriyaki sauce, but everything else is comfort food.
5) Typical meal combinations, based upon your selection
. . . meat (steak, chicken)
. . . rice
. . . noodles
. . . vegetables (zucchini, onions, etc in season)
. . . fish (shrimp, lobster, scallops)
. . . soup