PDA

View Full Version : Victoria and Alberts

disney
07-19-2007, 01:15 AM
Has anyone been to Victoria and Alberts lately?
How was the service, price, and food?

fielin
07-19-2007, 05:29 AM
I know I will be in the minority here, but I was disappointed with Victoria and Albert.

The food was very good, but not great.

The service was not the best I received on property. We had to waitresses. One was friendly, the other was less than nice. She did not smile, and seemed to confuse classy and uptight.

The atmosphere was nice and quiet, but we did not have any window in sight.

I left the place with the satisfaction of having had a good meal, and having lived a unique experience, but for the price, I would not do it again.

It seems to me that the food was on par with Jiko and just slightly better than California Grill, but that the waitresses were less friendly than at those places.

Not worth the price, in my opinion.

SurferStitch
07-19-2007, 07:14 AM
V&A is the ultimate in fine dining. DH and I have eaten there many times, and have always had amazing food and service.

Our experienced servers (I would never call them waitresses ;)) have always been professional and pure class. Sometimes we've had two men, one time two women, but usually one woman and one man. Some of them (all men) were very funny and liked to joke around with us, but always in a professional and polite manner.

The menu changes daily, and is prix fixe. You will pay $125 pp for your meal, and an additional $60 pp for the wine pairings (highly recommended) plus tax and tip. It's expensive, but the experience is worth every penny. We will have AP's this year, and the DDE card, so we will save 20% off of that, more than paying for the card itself. There is also the chef's table (we've never done it...prefer the main dining area) for a higher cost. We may try it one day, though. The main dining area has a wonderful harpist playing.

They also have several items that are an upcharge if you want them. DH got the Kobe beef last time (cost around an extra $30), and I added white truffles. The server forgot to bring out my truffles (truly a rare occurrence), so he brought me a double serving at no cost. That was $70 worth of truffle for nothing.

Desserts are amazing. I usually get the Kona chocolate souffle, or the Bailey's chocolate chip souffle. DH loves the creme brulee. The coffee is excellent, and made in a Cona vacuum brewer at your table. I loved it so much I found one on my own on the internet about 8 years ago, and at that time only two places sold them. They are apparently easier to get now.

The room is very intimate. True, there are no windows, but you don't need them. You are supposed to indulge in the meal, not stare out a window. I find I'd rather look at my DH during a meal, not outside.

Overall, if you don't mind parting with hundreds of dollars for an amazing meal, then you should give it a chance. I can't wait to get back there in December.

pox24
07-19-2007, 07:46 AM
My wife and I dined at the Chef's Table a couple of years ago. We found it to be a great experience. With the Wine pairing it was a bit pricy. Each course is small, however after 7 or 8 of them and dessert, we were full. The only thing I did not like was how long it was. Nearly 3 hours. We enjoy fine dining, but this was too long. I probably will not do it again, but it was a very enjoyable and unique experience. The quality and flavors were outstanding but we have had better meals. Just to make a comparison, Emeril's was far superior.

Maleficent's Dad
07-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Now I'm sure that I'm in the minority here, but I think that V&A's is actually a bit of a bargain for what you get!!!

Having that type of meal in a major metropolis (such as NYC or LA), you'd pay double or triple what you would in WDW.

I have nothing but praise for V&A's. Excellent food. Excellent service. Incredible atmosphere.

Kobe beef. Fabulous.

If you decide to go, be sure to get the coffee - it's a fun, fun way to end the meal!

kris10399
07-19-2007, 09:07 AM
DH and I were there last October and for the 3rd time. This time we didn't have Terri as one of our servers but enjoyed the ones we had. I have to agree, the male servers do tend to joke with you more which doesn't make the place seem so stuffy.

We live in the Chicago area and have been to several fine dining restaurants in the city and Las Vegas and feel that V&As is a great deal for what you get. Yes the portions are small but they are supposed to be. The first time we went to a fine dining restaurant I found myself to be pleasantly content and not stuffed and unable to appreciate the food afterward.

We will be heading back again in May for another round.
DH stated to me that he feels the food is very innovative without being weird or pretentious. What do you expect? Scott Hunnel is from Chicago! He is the chef at V&A.

TheRustyScupper
07-19-2007, 12:37 PM
1) We enjoy V&A.
2) Obviously, service depends upon the server.
3) We once had a mediocre server.
4) We simply asked the manager for a change.
5) He seemed put-out, but obliged us.
6) The replacement servers were very good.

NOTE: We like the dining room, and not Chef's Table. The Chef Table was better before "the fence" was installed. One felt like they were part of the cooking, and now it seems more removed.

fielin
07-19-2007, 03:30 PM
I am deeply sorry if the term 'waitress' was incorrect. I did not want to seem derogative or rude... Being french, as you might have noticed through my numerous trips to DLRP or my approximative grammar, I thought that waitress was the appropriate word... :blush:

Anyway, I think my expectations were a bit high when coming to Victoria and Albert : I did expect the best fine dining experience, after having read only praises about the place, and found "only" excellent food and good service where I was prepared to have an extraordinary culinary experience and the best service ever.

So, my advice to the original poster : be realistic, this is, after all, a restaurant - not the realm of magic cooking !

As for the price, it is, indeed, reasonable for the kind of meal you will have. I would not under any circumstance, define a 125$ meal as 'a bargain', but it is worth spending this much money... at least once.;)

Natazu
07-21-2007, 03:25 AM
We go about twice a year. Every trip has been truly wonderful. Every aspect of gourmet dining is observed, from duelling servers with crummers to the Queen Victoria dessert spoon. Through each course, we've always received the best service imaginable. The food has always been perfect. I even eat sqash and zucchini there. My mother thought I had been replaced by an alien.

And then there's the coffee.... oooh, the coffee. Worth a trip to Orlando by itself.

Bekka
07-29-2007, 09:03 PM
We have dined at V&A multiple times. Each time was an outstanding, second to none experience. Every time we go somewhere else out to eat, we always compare it to V&A, and nothing has come close.

The Foie Gras, Kobe Beef were excellent upgrades. Every course was spaced well. We've eaten at Jean Georges' restaurant in the Bahamas and felt like we were having food thrown at us it came so fast! Not so at V&A.

Servers were all very professional, knowledgeable and fun.

We have also dined at 2 Emeril restaurants. Both experiences were sub standard. Service was okay, but a little over-bearing. Food, we were not impressed.

Having dined at many prestigious restaurants from NYC to the Bahamas to Vegas, V&A has provided us with, by far, the best culinary experience. Most certainly, you get what you pay for!

(P.S. Do the wine pairing!)

SurferStitch
07-29-2007, 10:10 PM
We have also dined at 2 Emeril restaurants. Both experiences were sub standard. Service was okay, but a little over-bearing. Food, we were not impressed.

Wow! I'm glad you said that. I was starting to think we were the only ones completely underwhelmed with Emeril's.

We dined at the one in Universal, and were pretty disappointed. First, they lost our ressie that was made about 5 months in advance. Not only that, but even after I showed them our confirmation number, they tried to make us leave! I had to have a very firm conversation with the manager (who also wanted to shoo us out), but finally got a table for our party of 4.

Food was good, not great. Dessert was awesome, but I want more satisfaction with a bill of around $175!

With such a sour taste in our mouths, we never made an effort to go back.

Sorry for the tangent.....proceed.

chechas
07-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Me and my best friend are doing V&A Labor Day weekend as part of our BFF (Best Friends Forever) Birthday Bash Weekend. LOL We went a couple of years ago for my 33rd birthday celebration and now that she is celebrating the big 4-0, we are going again. Can't wait!

TheRustyScupper
07-30-2007, 04:24 PM
. . . We have also dined at 2 Emeril restaurants. Both experiences were sub standard. Service was okay, but a little over-bearing. Food, we were not impressed.

1) I agree with the assessment.
2) It certainly has a good name.
3) But, not really worth the money.
4) There are just too many fine restaurants to eat at mediocre ones.

NOTE: Alas, just because a place has a reputation does not make it worth the reputation. People see and believe what they hear. I have heard so many people rave about a certain restaurant, only to be "part of the pack". Even when others, including critics, say otherwise. You even see this regarding some of the WDW eateries.

emmingo
07-30-2007, 06:30 PM

I second that. I liked Emerils in New Orleans (the original), but the chains are terrible.

Having grown up around great food, and now living near Chicago (even though you can get great food here for really cheap), I have to say that V&As is a great deal for what you get--fine dining. I especially like that there is specific wine pairing, so that you get a full dining experience on a fixed price. Also, its 7 or 8 courses, I think, depending on the menu of the night, and even at the really great restaurants here, for $125/p, that is a lot of food. I think, when we do the high ends here, its 3 or 4 courses for about $95/p and the wines are never specifically chosen.

Toward what the second poster said, don't think that because you are paying $125/p that the plates will be solid gold or that they will treat you like royalty (even though, at WDW you pretty much get that anyway!). It helps to know what to expect and only do V&As if its your "thing." Its worth it at least once.