PDA

View Full Version : Safari Dinner Celebration/Grand Gathering

lgeandme
07-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Going in December. Nine of us staying @ AKL. We are taking advantage of the Grand Gathering experiences. Originally we were going to do Concierge level so we could do the Breakfast Safari Experience. After discussing with others, we decided to avoid the cost of Concierge and do the Safari Dinner Celebration (for Grand Gatherings). Has anyone ever done these or had any experience with Grand Gatherings? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. 1st time posting. Forgive the inexperience:blush:

Dedivah
07-19-2007, 03:00 PM
:welcome:

Last year, 15 of us did the Illuminations Grand Gathering event. We had a really good time. The food was okay. There were games and jokes the kids loved it. Mikcy and Goofy were there! We had a wonderful view of illuminations while we ate dessert as well.

It was the perfect endo to our Disney vacation. :thumbsup:

ElenitaB
07-19-2007, 06:09 PM
We did the Sunrise Safari in 2003, and it was a very unique experience that both my son (who was 7 at the time) and I both remember vividly. Since we went in late October, it was before dawn when we gathered at the Concierge Lounge. We were then taken in two busses over to the back door entrance of AK, which was interesting enough in itself. We were loaded onto several Safair vehicles and took a long ride around the safari area with multiple stops and lots of explanation from the CMs (in our vehicle was a CM who had worked from AK from the very start and at one point was their curator). We were able to ask questions at any time... afterwards, we were treated to a huge buffet breakfast in a private room at Tusker House. For me, the coolest thing about that breakfast was the tropical fruit offered and the African food that was offered.

As you can tell, years have passed and I still remember quite a bit about the experience and heartily recommend the experience. Staying concierge level was pretty nice as well. :thumbsup:

ThanxForNoticin
07-20-2007, 12:56 PM
A year or so ago we did a Grand Gathering like you are describing. I expect they are similar anyway. Our group met in the Animal Kingdom close to closing. Then we met with our guide, took a special safari after the official closing of KS, and then had an amazing dinner at Tusker House. it was a terrific experience.

I can tell you that we have also done the Sunrise Safari (with concierge required), and that is one of our all-time favorite experiences at Disney. But with a large group, the cost of concierge can get pretty steep. So I think your choice is a good one. The animals in the morning are active because it's the start of the day. The animals in the evening safaris are also active, but they seemed to be active because they were hungry and heading back to their barns to be fed.

I can tell you that the food and service at Tusker House, whether it's for a safari breakfast or dinner, is absolutely outstanding. They take great pride in their food and their service. Enjoy.