PDA

View Full Version : The contemporary?

tinxmom
07-18-2007, 09:13 AM
We are a family of five. We usually book two rooms at Pop, but are thinking of trying one room at the Contemporary for the convenience of the monorail and the wow factor of it going right through the building. Thoughts? Worth the price? Is construction noise a problem this fall? Other suggestions for a family of five?

faline
07-18-2007, 09:26 AM
I've only stayed there once. It's a great place to stay! We had a Magic Kingdom view and loved sitting on our balcony to watch the fireworks and the monorails!

As to whether it's worth the cost for your family, only you can answer that question!

pox24
07-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Once you stay there you will never want to go value again. Its well worth the money. The convenience to do all sorts of fun family activities is incredible. Boating, swimming, fishing, eating, shopping, even riding the monorail and visiting the other hotels on the line is a day of shopping and eating fun. For the parents, try the monorail ride and have an adult beverage or two at each stop. Thats a hoot. You're gonna love it. No construction worries.:thumbsup:

scootch713
07-18-2007, 10:23 AM
It is so worth the money...... especially with children. Wish I could get a room there during my stay there this year.

moe513
07-18-2007, 10:33 AM
We are also a family a 5 and chose to stay in one deluxe room instead of 2 moderates. The locations are so much better. Ive never stayed at the cr but have read that the rooms are quite large.

Jenemmy
07-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Another family of 5 here and the Contemporary is our favorite resort! We have stayed in both the tower and the garden wing and I would encourage the tower if you can swing it. The rooms were remodeled last year and are beautiful, as well as very spacious. I don't feel like you can beat the convenience.

The only negative I can come up with is that there is very little storage space in the bathroom. There is no countertop just two large and -- kinda flat -- sinks. We wound up using one of the sinks as our counter.

As far as noise, all I can tell you is that I was there last September when they had begun work on the North wing and I didn't notice a thing.

kbwatzka
07-18-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm curious about the Contemporary as well. My family of five is booked to stay in the Wilderness Lodge in January 2008 - but I have some reservations about room size. Just curious, what is the status of the room renovations at the Contemporary? The old rooms are loud and hideous, in my opinion. But, the photos I've seen of the new rooms look lovely and serene. What portions of the resort have been renovated? When are renovations scheduled to be complete?

Thanks!

KylesMom
07-18-2007, 05:21 PM
It is my understanding that all rooms in The Contemporary have now been remodeled or razed (North Wing). Note, however, that renovations to other parts of the resort (restaurants, lobby, etcetera) continue. The construction has not seemed to disturb any guests who've recently stayed there.

mrsgaribaldi
07-18-2007, 06:18 PM
We stayed at the Contemporary in Nov and then the Poly in Jan. The CR was nice, we paid for a MK view. The room was very large and would fit 5 very comfortably. That being said, we both loved the Poly. We felt like it was 10 times nicer than the CR. We didn't have a MK view at the Poly and we still liked it better. The Poly is very convenient to the monorail, not as good as right in the building but still pretty good. The room at the Poly was very big and would easily fit 5 too. We were hardly ever in the room at the CR to see the fireworks or anything, we were always out in the parks. Even the food court at the Poly was better. The CR had such a small food area and it looked so old too.:mickey: I'm sure you will love whichever one you stay at:thumbsup:

mttafire
07-18-2007, 07:24 PM
I've only stayed there once. It's a great place to stay! We had a Magic Kingdom view and loved sitting on our balcony to watch the fireworks and the monorails!

As to whether it's worth the cost for your family, only you can answer that question!
Agreed. Usually we cannot afford the C.R. (we stayed there once) LOVED it! IMHO, If you have the money to stay there..You WILL NOT regret it. It is one of the best Disney has to offer.:thumbsup:

TheSorcererofFantasia
07-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Haven't stayed at the Contemporary since 99, but back then we were a family of five and with teens the room size was important. We spent 17 days in the tower club floor with a beautiful view of the Magic Kingdom and absolutely loved it. Course dad and kids went home and I continued on for a total of 28 days on the same floor. :cloud9: :cloud9:

The room size is great, view was absolutely fabulous. Monorail, boat and short walk to MK was a huge bonus. Great restaurants and kids love the pool and water mice.

We tried the Yacht Club the following year as five and noticed a huge difference on space in the room.

AKL is now my all time favorite resort but hope to try the Contemporary with the new upgraded rooms in the near future.

MinnieMommie
07-18-2007, 08:34 PM
I can not recommend the CR more highly. The rooms are large and hold 5 very comfortably. We love the monorail but at the end of the day when everyone is leaving the MK we just walk back to our room (very close). Don't miss the electric parade at night and if by chance you are not in the parks catch Wishes from the balcony. Great view and sound system! :mickey:

Donalds Duckie
07-18-2007, 09:14 PM
I'll be at CR in in Sept. Will I be able to watch the electric light parade from my MK view room?:mickey:

BW Fan
07-18-2007, 09:20 PM
moving up from value to premium C.R. - you will think you are in heaven. All of the premiums are so incredibly well themed and luxurious you can't help but be incredibly happy. The C.R. has the least themed check in area, but other than that is is very well done. The area where monorail goes through just makes your trip, and the ability to walk back to the room from the Magic Kingdom at night makes the nighttime so special. Don't forget to enjoy the other monorail hotels while you are so close. Enjoy yourself and have the trip of a lifetime.

Always Goofy
07-19-2007, 11:18 AM
My family loves staying there. It has been before the renovation, but I do know that the CR has some of the largest rooms on property. There is so much to do that you won't want to sleep! At least that is what my son thinks!!!:mickey:

GhostHost999
07-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Now I am not going to be too impartial on this one but I love staying at the Contemporary. I've stayed there almost everytime I've been to WDW, and have never been disappointed. I know it does not get a lot of love when people talk about their fave resorts, but it is definitely my favorite place to stay. It is unbelievably convenient. Let's talk practicality...when you've been out walking all day in the parks and it's getting late and you're tired, there's nothing better than hopping on that monorail and then just taking a quick elevator ride to your room. And the Magic Kingdom view rooms are just amazing. Nothing better than sipping a cherry coke, watching the fireworks from your balcony.

Always Goofy
07-20-2007, 07:40 AM
And the Magic Kingdom view rooms are just amazing. Nothing better than sipping a cherry coke, watching the fireworks from your balcony.

Boy oh boy...you can say that again!!!
At night, did you ever leave the blinds open so you can have the glow of the Magic Kingdom be your nightlight? I loved that...to be able to be in bed and still see the castle!:cloud9:

wdwfansince75
07-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Having moved over 25 times in our 43 years together, my DW & BF considers the Comtemporary the closest thing we have to a true home. We have stayed there over the years since our first trip in 1975. We have had our children or grandchildren there from age 1 and up.

The last time, in 2006, we stayed in a new room on the first floor of the South Wing. It was easy access to the pool, and to the lobby. No problems with noise! We always enjoyed the convenience of the Food and Fun Center. Moving it to the fourth floor will be inconvenient for the South Wing, but should have no impact for Tower dwellers.

Fond memories of trips with the special people in our lives. Sitting here grinning about many things......remembering laughing when DS#2 took off running for the restroom from the F&FC, followed closely by our friend John, who had been watching him....except John didn't realize that DS#2 was use to having DW or DD's take him to the restroom.....Hence they both darted into the Ladies' Room!

Any Disney resort is great, but the Contemporary has always been special to us. Location, Location, Location! O, and all the fun things to do!

GhostHost999
07-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Boy oh boy...you can say that again!!!
At night, did you ever leave the blinds open so you can have the glow of the Magic Kingdom be your nightlight? I loved that...to be able to be in bed and still see the castle!:cloud9:

No I haven't tried that...yet. But now I have something for that thread where they ask about what is something new you'd like to try on your next trip. Thanks for the idea! :mickey:

jedi jen
07-21-2007, 09:54 AM
I am sitting in the Contemporary right now, using the computer they have in the room. At least for now, there are computers in every room. I really love the Contemporary. The convenience is wonderful. My kids love it too. We stayed here last year and are here again now. Love being on the monorail. Last year we were in a garden room, and this year we are in the tower on the concierge level (free upgrade). We are in heaven. :cloud9::mickey:

Donalds Duckie
07-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the post Jedi Jen! Do you have a MK View or Bay Lake View? Are you 12th floor partial concierge or 14th floor full concierge? If 12th floor, what are your thoughts about service, ammenities, etc? Are there evening food offerings on 12th floor concierge now?

I'm asking because I'm contemplating changing from my Tower MK View to 12th floor concierge for my Labor Day trip but not sure it's worth the extra $100 a night for a short trip with a very late check-in.

Have a great time!

beksy
07-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks for all the great comments! I hardly ever read anything about the CR and that's where we're staying in October (MK tower room) since its our first time staying at a WDW resort and Mom's dream. :cloud9: It's nice to hear that we're not the only ones who think its great. :mickey:

LottaLubes
07-22-2007, 08:42 PM
We are also a family of 5 and love to stay at the Contemporary. However, now that the kids are getting bigger, we are finding it more family friendly to stay at two rooms at the Pop. It's so nice to have the 4 beds, 2 bathrooms and 2 TVs.

Disney Yankee
07-23-2007, 08:15 PM
I think I'd always choose one room at the Contemporary (or another Deluxe) over two rooms at a Moderate. :thumbsup: There is nothing like staying at the CR. :cloud9: