PDA

View Full Version : rental car or disney transportation

septembergirl
07-18-2007, 03:03 AM
If flying, do you rely on Disney transportation or rent a car for your stay?

faline
07-18-2007, 04:59 AM
It depends. Mostly, I rely only on Disney transportation even when I do have reason to rent a vehicle!

BritCody
07-18-2007, 06:51 AM
Typically, we rent a vehicle. My parents travel with me and my kids and my parents are in their late 70's and both walk with the aid of a cane. The car makes for a nice luxury

CanadianWDWFan
07-18-2007, 07:53 AM
We started using DME exclusively when it first started, but last time we go such a good deal on a rental car, it was hard to pass up.

Rental cars obviously make it easier getting from resort to resort for your ADR's. This is our justification for us to rent, since we do tend to make most of our ADR's at other resorts.

RBrooksC
07-18-2007, 08:25 AM
The last time my wife and I went to Disney, we rented a car because I like to have the control of when I can leave and where I go. To be able to leave one's hotel room, go to the car and just go to The Magic Kingdom or any place else in the resort without having to wait at a bus stop is much more relaxing to me.

The last time we went, we stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort and I got this nice sense of calm when we would pull out of the parking lot to make our way, wherever and people would be waiting at the bus stop.

This also allowed us greater freedom when we wanted to go shopping or see the other resorts.

The only time I would really use the Disney Transportation is when we would park at the TTC and ride the Monorail to Epcot just to get an extended ride on the Monorail.

droopy d.
07-18-2007, 10:02 AM
We've always rented a car when we go to Disney. We like the fact we can come and go at our choice and not Disney's. One time at Disney my DS got sick and I left the park with my DW and took my DS back the the resort using Disney transportation. It took a little longer than I like but it was ok, but if I travel in a value season I might try it for my entire stay.

DizNee143
07-18-2007, 10:28 AM
rent!! itll be another expense for the trip but i think its worth it!! yes its nice disney has there own transportation and that its free..and it is pretty good...i have used it...
but the best way to get around disney in my eyes is with your own car!!..you dont have to wait around for a bus to go where you wanna go..and you dont have to go crazy if say your staying at Pop Century and you have a breakfast at Chef Mickeys (the Contemporary)..you gotta get a bus to go to one of the parks where then you can pick up a bus/monorail to the Contemporary..gotta get ready sooner and what not...its just way easier to have a car!...

BigRedDad
07-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Vacation to me is not having to drive. I rely on Disney transportation. If I have to be some where early or hop to another resort and have no time, I schedule a cab. If I take 1 round trip cab trip each day, it is still far cheaper than a rental car.

KylesMom
07-18-2007, 11:03 AM
We've always rented a car, and cannot imagine a stay without one. We don't want to have to allow an hour or better to get to each of our ADRs, and when we're ready to park hop, we just go. The only time we rely on Disney transportation is the boat from WL to MK or CR. We recently put 221 miles on our rental car, going back & forth on Disney property (with one trip to Goodings). Total cost through National Emerald Aisle $24.50 / day for Intermediate.

tinkerbell04
07-18-2007, 02:17 PM
We always rent a car as well. We like being able to get to other resorts for dinner quickly and we drive to all of the parks except for the Magic Kingdom. You can't beat the bus for MK! :mickey:

Tygger7
07-18-2007, 02:43 PM
We drive over 1200 miles to get to WDW, so by the time I get there, I don't want to even look at my car until it's time to go home. We've never felt inconvenienced by Disney Transportation, and to be honest, it's part of the magic for us. All of the drivers and captains (on the boats) are so nice, and we always enjoy talking and joking with them. We drive so much at home, and getting to WDW, that it's a wonderful relief not having to worry about driving while on vacation. :drive:

Rodders
07-18-2007, 05:22 PM
I drive 60 - 500 miles in a "typical" work day 48 weeks per year. When I get on my holiday I don't want to go near a car. Cabs, towncars and Disney transport for us.

We love getting the boats. We even get the boat to and from the TTA when the resort bus drops us off outside MK :thumbsup:

Lizzie
07-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Disney Transportation all the way. Don't have to worry about gas, parking or getting lost.

SteveL
07-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Happy Limo from/to MCO, then WDW Trasnportation.
Last summer we rented as we usually did. We had to rent a large SUV as there were 5 adults and one infant with car seat. It ended up costing close to $700, and really the car just sat most of the time.
In December we plan on using a cab or a one day rental, as needed. We should save a lot of money this way.

SBETigg
07-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Vacation to me is not having to drive. I rely on Disney transportation.

I'm with you. It is Disney transportation for us.

mttafire
07-18-2007, 07:29 PM
While we usually (almost always) Drive from Ohio to Disney, When we did fly we rented a car. It's more time saving and easier to us to just drive to the parks. PLUS, We like to goto Kennedy Space Center and the beach for a day while at WDW.:mickey:

LoriMistress
07-18-2007, 09:51 PM
I think it depends. There are people who stay off property so they would need to use their own vehicle (or rent a vehicle) to get to the parks. Though, some people, regardless of staying on Disney Property prefer to drive. Personally, we use Disney Transportation.

tinksmom02
07-18-2007, 11:03 PM
We rent. Don't get me wrong, we love the monorail and the bus from PO-DTD, but something about sitting on a bus just doesn't scream "vacation!" to me. I'm sure it's great; it's just not for us. I'd much rather be able to hop in the car and drive to the Poly for dinner at Ohana's, then have to figure out what bus to take to what resort to get to the Poly, and then have to stress about there not being a (Disney-mode) way of getting back to our resort!

Plus, DD got sick last trip--nothing serious, but it required a trip to the Urgent Care Center. They offer transportation, too, but with our car we were able to zip right over there, and not have to stand around and wait for the bus (full of sick people waiting to get to the UCC).

Anyhow, for us it just makes sense to rent. It's an added expense, but it gives us a lot more freedom.

Horizon93
07-20-2007, 02:29 PM
We always use Happy Limo (they are great!) from MCO to our resort and then it is Disney transportation. We rreally think part of the vacation is a vacation from driving and parking. We also like to walk so we don't mind getting to the bus stop.

boobalk
07-20-2007, 02:49 PM
When we unload our luggage and park our car, we do not want to get in it again until we're ready to head home! That's why we always use the Disney transportation. to us, it's part of being immersed in the whole Disney experience. We always get to where we're going on time, have beautiful things to look at while we're going there, and never have to look for a place up close to park. And the CMs are always pleasant and sometimes a little fun and informative. :mickey:

January-2007
07-20-2007, 02:58 PM
I rely on Disney transportation to "tote me around" -- it's just so easy and stress free!

I haven't flown since going without my parents though, and they always rented a car...

DisneyorBust
07-21-2007, 05:45 PM
We have rented vehicles and we have used Disney transportation, I much prefer to go with the Disney system. I like to take a vacation from driving too! We stay at a Monorail resort normally, and the transportation options are great!:thumbsup:

animalkingdomguy
07-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Even though I answered Disney transport, we still rent a car. While we religiously use Disney Transporation on property, there is nothing like having the freedom to drive into town for groceries, pharmacy, etc. While we have a love affair with WDW we still feel a bit trapped on property without the autonomy of having a personal set of wheels.

Bluesky481
07-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Disney transport...I don't mind letting someone else do the driving when I'm on vacation:mickey:

GrmGrninGost
07-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Unless you're leaving the property, I see no reason for a personal vehicle! :mickey:

Lisaj13
07-27-2007, 05:40 PM
At home I'm the driver for my kids, my sister, my friends, etc. When I'm on vacation it's nice to let someone else worry about gas, traffic, best route, parking, etc.

Plus, I have a terrible sense of direction!

And I can't forget another plus: the great people I've met at the bus stop and on the bus.

vamaggie
07-27-2007, 06:24 PM
We have always rented a car for the convenience and freedom it allows. Many here post that "it's vacation and I don't want to drive". Well for me, time is more valuable. We only go for 6 days so it is nice to not have to wait for buses and take an hour to get to another resort for an ADR. While we usually use the monorail/boats to MK & EPcot, having the car gives us more freedom for AK & MGM. Rent all the way!

caryrae
07-27-2007, 07:17 PM
I have heard alot of people, with all the to rent or not to rent a car threads, say that Disney transportation is part of the magic. I can see how the monorail and/or ferries would be because it's something most people don't normally ride but I am guessing most people who use the Disney transportation use the busses. May I ask what is so magical about riding a bus? Disney buses are no different then regular busses. Maybe if the Disneyfied the busses it may be different, like they did to the Disney Cruise line busses.

Soul_Power
07-28-2007, 06:12 PM
I have no experience with renting a car while at WDW, so my vote is for relying on Disney transportation. My boyfriend and I flew in from California and relied on Disney transportation from the moment we touched down in Orlando to the day we left. We had no major issues with any Disney transportation and found it to be extremely convenient. Yes, the bus waits could take a while sometimes but it was expected considering how huge WDW is! However, if you plan on venturing out to other places outside of WDW, I would see why you would want to rent a car, but if you're like my boyfriend and me and just plan on staying on the property, I say take advantage of the Disney transportation!