PDA

View Full Version : Here's a thinker......

nicole48040
07-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Is it even possible to get any ADRs after the 180 day mark hits???? I mean if you are at...say...day 120, could you get an ADR for Ohana's????? It seems to me like if you miss the 180 mark, you are basically up a creek without a paddle! Agree???? Disagree???? What happens to the poor people who believe in spur of the moment vacations??? I guess they are eating sandwiches from home huh???? :(

Aggie97
07-17-2007, 11:28 PM
It sounds like this might be the case during the free Dining Plan period. I've never gone during free dining, so I only know what I've read on the boards! :)

But - I've never made ADRs more than a couple of months in advance of a trip. We made all ADRs for our Dec. 16-26, 2006, trip in October. We were able to get what we wanted - dinner at Le Cellier on the 24th, dinner at 'Ohana on Christmas Day, Chef Mickey's for Christmas breakfast, California Grill during Wishes on the 22nd.

We decided we were craving 'Ohana earlier in our trip as well, so we called there from MK on the 20th and got an ADR for dinner the next night.

Maybe we were just really lucky... I don't know. But don't lose heart - I think it can still be done!! :mickey:

emmatink
07-17-2007, 11:43 PM
We have made ADR's after the 180 mark for our trip in October. Ohana's was actually one of them too. Usually the resort restaurants are easier to get later ressies for from what I have been told from cast members. I also agree that it just depends what time of year you are going.

snifflesmcg
07-17-2007, 11:45 PM
I have to say that it all depends. I did all my ADR's only 3 months (or less) in advance and still got some great ones. We never decided to go until the end of May for our early Sept trip. I just got an earlier time for Capt N Jacks last week when they weren't available a few weeks ago. I also was able to make an ADR for Ohana's and then changed the date and time and it was still available. Just keep trying and be flexible.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-17-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm still deciding on ADR's for our December trip, and have been able to get everything we wanted during the past week with no trouble at all. From what I hear, things are different regarding the free dining time in September, but so far, so good!:chef:

Mickey91
07-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Your more traditional dinner/lunch times are usually taken but there is usually some availability for odd or late times.

beksy
07-18-2007, 01:36 AM
We'll be missing the free dining so that is definitely a factor, but even though I made most of our ADR's at the 180 day mark, I called a week ago to make a couple more with no problems (and decent dining times). I think you'll probably be okay. Not everyone is a compulsive planner that my sister claims I am (I disagree! :blush:) so there are probably many people still making/changing ADR's much closer to their trips! Good Luck! :mickey:

Kairi_7378
07-18-2007, 08:53 AM
It depends on where you're trying to go.
It seems like certain restaurants (Le Cellier, Cinderella's Royal Table) are impossible to get a reservation at unless you call at 7:00 AM on your 180 day mark. I am sure that these are wonderful places to eat but there is no way I am going through all of that trouble! I've made reservations within 2 weeks of a trip (at peak time) and got the restaurant that I wanted but at odd times. For this trip, we called around 70 days and got fantastic times. If you can't make an ADR, there are plenty of reat CS restaurants to eat at so you shouldn't feel like you are stuck eating sandwiches from home (or the Earl of Sandwich!) I am also a spur of the moment vacationer. If you see a place that looks interesting while you are walking around the parks, there is someone at the guest services area that can make you reservations for that night.

faline
07-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Not necessarily. It depends on the luck of the draw and how flexible you are.

Last summer, we took a spur of the moment trip the first weekend in June without any ADR's. During that weekend, we ate at Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch (walk-up) and Le Cellier for lunch (also walk-up).

In January, we took an extended weekend trip which we planned some time in November or December - so only a couple of months before the trip. I was able to get dinner reservations for Le Cellier, California Grill, Tony's (on the night of a Pirate & Princess Party), and Concourse Steak House. I was even able to change my Le Cellier and California Grill reservations to accommodate 4 rather than 2 when my brother and his wife decided to join us on the trip!

LauraF
07-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Nope you can call anytime before your vacation starts (or even during your vacation, which I had to do once.) WDW also releases extra ADRs as the time gets closer for many restaurants.

It's also worth noting that around the 45 day mark (when all the final deposits are due) cancellations start appearing. People decide not to pay in full for whatever reason or cancel their trip for a lack of funds and spots open right up. I've got 51 days to go and I'll be calling next week to see if one of my favs has a spot for me. :thumbsup:

It has gotten harder with the Free Dining to get in when/where I want but there are so many great options that I'm not worried. I'm on vacation - everything tastes better than at home.

MOJoe
07-18-2007, 11:28 AM
I made my ADR's in March for our June vacation. Around 90 days out. We got Sci-Fi during Star Wars Weekends, and Friday night dinner at O'hanas. If you don't want to eat counter service, you need to call as early as you can. You can walk up, but at the most popular places you are going to be turned away, or face a 2 hour wait. If you do end up having a spur of the moment vacation, i suggest trying some of the less popular Epcot or resort restaurants.

mrsgaribaldi
07-18-2007, 12:10 PM
We hardly ever plan a trip that far in advance. That being said, I usually can get an ADR or two less than 180 days in advance. Good luck:thumbsup:

tony2979
07-18-2007, 01:30 PM
Did mine 75 days out during the free dining period.

The only one I didn't get was La Cellier. Still managed Sci-Fi, Chef Mickey's Breakfast, Councourse Steakhouse, Coral Reef, and Whispering Canyon.

moe513
07-18-2007, 01:33 PM
I think it depends on how busy it is when you are going. Also, were you want to eat and flexiblity on times.

DizNee143
07-18-2007, 02:07 PM
disagree...ive yet to ever make a ADR at exactly 180 days..and ive always gotten what i want...

angedeaile
07-18-2007, 03:17 PM
I think it depends on two things...
When you are making ADRs, like during free DDP or during a major Holiday like Christmas...
And if you are flexible on your time frames or not.

Last year, I made ADRs up to 3 weeks before we left. I had no problems getting some popular places at decent times. Then again, I was pretty flexible with times.

I scheduled Ohanas about 3 weeks before hand. Cali Grill a month before hand.

This was for the first week of August last year. It wasn't during the free DDP offer, but it is a pretty busy time frame.

tinksmom02
07-18-2007, 10:32 PM
We didn't even book our Jan 07 trip until November, so we definitely did not call at 180 days! LOL I called for ADR's in the beginning of Dec, I think, and got everything I wanted, at the times I wanted, with the exception of LeCellier (we got in for lunch; the only dinner times they had were too late for DD4). We even got CRT, and on the day and time I wanted! I even called a few weeks out to add a few more, no probs at all. BUT the parks were very empty during our trip.

For our sept trip, I called the day we booked with MJ, which was something like 165 days out. Again, the only thing I couldn't get at the time I wanted was LeCellier (but we got lunch again).

So, like others have said, I think it depends on when you're going. But I'm reasonably sure that whenever you call, you should be able to get something. Whether or not it's somewhere you want to eat, or at a time you'd prefer to eat at, is a different story!

LoriMistress
07-18-2007, 10:52 PM
You'll most likely not get the ADRs that you want because many people on these boards and others are having problems getting ANY ADRs.

avantgardeinker
07-19-2007, 12:27 PM
I was told by a CM once that other ADR's open up after the 180 day mark for those that aren't staying on property. The only place I've had trouble getting ADR's after the 180 day mark is Cinderella Castle. I had a friend call 120 days out from her vacation, though and had no problem getting in on the day and time she wanted.

140 more days!
:mickey:

IloveDisney71
07-19-2007, 07:28 PM
I've called at exactly 180 days and as close as 40 days before a trip. I would say it depends on when you will be there and how flexible you are with your times. If you can't get the time you want, you can always call once you arrive or even the same day you want to eat somewhere because there are usually cancellations. For example, I had 9:00 res. at LeCellier, but we happened to be in the park at 6:30, so we stopped by and told them about our late res. time, and wouldn't you know it - they were able to seat us at 6:45 because they had some cancellations. I guess we were lucky. It never hurts to ask OR keep calling! :)

Hammer
07-19-2007, 08:53 PM
Many factors play into the availability/lack of availability of ADRs.

1) How large is you party? I've found that the larger the group usually the degree of difficulty in obtaining an ADR increases. As I normally travel in a party of 2, I haven't had too many issues obtaining ADRS at less than 180 days out.

2) Time you are looking to eat. The 5:00-6:00 dinner hour seems to book up first. As I like to eat in the 7:00 hour (was raised by parents where we usually ate later), I've had better luck. I booked my ADRs for my October Intercot Anniversary trip at approximately 120 out and I secured a 7:30 dinner reservation at Le Cellier.

3) Time of year. As others have stated, if you are going during free dining or the holidays, it is more difficult. When going at other times of the year, I've been able to make same or next day breakfast or dinner reservations. Note these were not normally for character meals. Don't try walking up, however, as the restaurants are discouraging it. We tried to walk up to the Crystal Palace (one of the character meals we like) and we were told no walk ups were being accepted. It didn't look too crowded, so I called the Dining Reservations line and they gave me an ADR at Crystal Palace for 20 minutes later!

Whatever you do, there isn't any reason to give up hope of eating a table service meal. With a little flexibility, you can find some very nice places to have a sit-down meal :eat: .

richardsa98
07-19-2007, 09:19 PM
We just planned an adults only Anniversary trip for two weeks from now! Call it fate, but we got every reservation rest. and time asked for: Yachtsman Steakhouse, Ohana's for Wishes, Fulton's Crabhouse, and Turf Club. I am very pleased and excited...

pixiesmimi
07-20-2007, 12:07 AM
My DD made our ADRs for June about a week before we went because it was kind of up in the air if we were still going or not. I kept urging her to call. She finally did about a week in advance and had no trouble getting the ones she wanted to my shock. I think, like others say, that there are always cancellations that you can fill. We made reservations at the parks during peak season in past years and had no problem getting some either. Also were able to just walk into Tony's in June for dinner and they had plenty of walk in seating with little or no wait. She was able to get O'hana's also.

fielin
07-20-2007, 04:16 AM
I came to WDW in March and made my ADRs in February.

My 10 ADRs included restaurants as Jiko, V&A, California Grill (during Wishes), Breakfastosaurus, Garden Grill, breakfast at Mara, Mama Melrose (fantasmic! package) and I got absolutely ALL of them.

I think flexibility is indeed the key, as I was prepared to dine very early or very late, if need be. But in fact, I never had to make any sacrifice.

Tinkermom
07-20-2007, 01:09 PM
We leave for WDW on Monday. :joy: I called 4 weeks ago and got exactly what we wanted. We were prepared to flexible but there was no need!:thumbsup:

We are a party of 5 and I have all of our dinners between 5:30pm-7pm. We are going to Kona Cafe, Calif Grill, Coral Reef, Flying Fish and others! Can't wait!

January-2007
07-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Don't try walking up, however, as the restaurants are discouraging it. We tried to walk up to the Crystal Palace (one of the character meals we like) and we were told no walk ups were being accepted. It didn't look too crowded, so I called the Dining Reservations line and they gave me an ADR at Crystal Palace for 20 minutes later!

That's so funny! We never tried walking up either, but even during Memorial Day week we were able to secure many same day ADRs and some even for only about 5 minutes later... So do try to make ADRs, even if it's not at 180 days out, I think you'll find plenty of options still open.

irish1967
07-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Personally, if there is something on the list that you consider a "must do" I would call at the 180 day mark and make sure I have it. But...I'm like that :)

That being said - we were able to get very early ressies for Chef Mickey's about 3 weeks before our trip in mid-June and my sister-in-law was able to get ressies (also early) for O'hana for the same week.

I guess it is the luck of the draw.

Natazu
07-21-2007, 04:41 AM
Let me preface this with "we always go during slower times". We hardly ever make ADRs further out than a few months, sometimes as close as a few weeks. With the exception of Le Cellier and 'Ohana (we don't bother with Cindy's), I can't recall a single scheduling issue.

If anyone cares, here's Jym's Top-7 Call at 180 Days, No Really - Set an Alarm, Restaurant List:
7. Vicky's
6. 'Ohana
5. Chef Mickey's
4. California Grill
3. Le Cellier
2. Cindy's
1. Vicky's Chef Table