PDA

View Full Version : Should Disney Create Pirateland in WDW?

aprilshowers93
07-17-2007, 07:40 PM
I thought I would create a poll since there are already a few threads about turning adventureland into pirateland. I was wondering what the overall concensus is.

Here is some artwork done in their annual report. It is labeled "Dreaming." Bob Iger states that some of these ideas will become a reality and some will not, but it is what the imagineers are looking at as of january 2007. (One is labeled pirate-themed adventure and it has been rumored on other sites that it is planned for Hong Kong Disneyland.) http://corporate.disney.go.com/investors/annual_reports/2006/int/dint.html

SBETigg
07-17-2007, 08:50 PM
I love pirates- POTC is my favorite attraction and the movies were all fantastic. But why the overkill? No thanks. I think POTC is just enough and keep Adventureland as is. It's my favorite land!

I wish this rumor would just die and go away. I can't believe it has any legitimacy in fact.

DestinationWDW
07-17-2007, 09:00 PM
We love the pirates too, but POTC is enough - I hope they leave Tom Sawyer alone too! But, I would like to see a pirate themed character dining! :mickey:

Donald
07-17-2007, 09:02 PM
I agree with the last post. A pirate themed character experience would be great--or even just a boy themed character meal.

Caroleh
07-17-2007, 09:06 PM
POTC is enough. I haven't gone on the ride yet...it was closed when we went. I love the movies, but the whole pirate thing is now into overkill. I'm to the point I don't like going to WDW website to Magic Kingdom's page because of the music. (I like going just to hear the theme music for the different parks :blush:)

Disney_or_bust
07-17-2007, 09:08 PM
I voted no more pirates. I don't find much special about the original attraction POTC. I enjoyed the ride but to spark an entire "land" because of the movies?

DisneyFanatic11
07-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Hmm.. I like Pirates and all, I'm a huge fan, but changing Adventureland to Pirateland? No way. POTC and stay POTC, maybe have a, I don't know.. A Jack meet-and-greet (I would love that)? Or as the others were saying, a dine-in would be nice.

And girls like pirates, too (I am one of them), so just boy themed wouldn't do.

kakn7294
07-17-2007, 09:16 PM
I love POTC but enough is enough. It would be overkill to add another attraction - although the Pirate tutorial is quite fun. Adding a dining or character experience would be fine but retheming all of Adventureland into Pirateland would just be a smack in Walt's face.

JPL
07-17-2007, 09:22 PM
I have to say after being at WDW in June I had enough Pirates to last me a lifetime. Every store in every park, resort and DTD was full of pirate merchandise. I think Pirateland would be too much for anyone. What happens when Pirates go out of style? I say it's time for more original non-character based attractions like Everest. Things that can stand the test of time I feel the same way towards some of the Pixar additions.

WEDTOPIA
07-17-2007, 09:33 PM
PotC is enough pirates for me . I think the whole idea of Pirateland is absurd.

And no pirates on Tom Sawyer Island either !

:mickey:

DawsonAR
07-17-2007, 09:41 PM
I have to agree with the above posts. I love pirates but POTC is enough however a pirate character dinner would be nice.

DonaldDuck1117
07-17-2007, 09:47 PM
I think one more Pirates ride would be good and different enough from the original that it could hold its own. Take out Swiss Family Tree House and put in a ride themed around Davy Jones, or exclusively around a Jack Sparrow adventure. I think it would add another E-Ticket ride to the park.

Mickey91
07-17-2007, 09:50 PM
:pirate:I think a pirateland would be really cool as long as they leave everything else alone. I am tired of attractions being taken out.

EvilQueen2006
07-17-2007, 09:54 PM
I would LOVE a pirates themed character meal. Maybe one more attraction, but I agree a whole land would be an overkill.

crazeedizneefinatic
07-17-2007, 10:07 PM
I voted for no more pirates. Although we LOVE POTC. I think better than another dining experience why not a place for the boys to be done over like pirates, just like BBB for girls. I know BBB does the boys hair but I really don't know any boy over the age of 3 going into that place willingly. I know my 6 year old would never allow me to make an appointment. Something that caters to little boys would be a wonderful idea since there is so very little that does.

DessertDivaFL
07-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Yes, to the first. Yes, to the second. Ha! Ha!

I would say that everything in ADVENTURELAND is just fine. However, I think a themed restaurant around pirates would be fun.

If an additional attraction is considered, how about one that has the two pirates ships (Black Pearl and The Flying Dutchman) and it be like a Tom Sawyer Island type place where you can search the ships and explore and on hot days you can shoot water cannons at each other.

Stu29573
07-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Like the movies
Hate the idea
Don't touch the treehouse

Thankyouverymuch
:mickey:

EvilQueen2006
07-17-2007, 10:22 PM
If an additional attraction is considered, how about one that has the two pirates ships (Black Pearl and The Flying Dutchman) and it be like a Tom Sawyer Island type place where you can search the ships and explore and on hot days you can shoot water cannons at each other.

Ooh, that would be fun. A big Pirate ship with lots of places to explore.A play area where you can "hoist your colors" and scrub the deck and search for treasure.

pogo
07-17-2007, 10:32 PM
I love pirates- POTC is my favorite attraction and the movies were all fantastic. But why the overkill? No thanks. I think POTC is just enough and keep Adventureland as is. It's my favorite land!

I wish this rumor would just die and go away. I can't believe it has any legitimacy in fact.
I feel exactly like Sherri....... she is so smart. :D

psychotekkie
07-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Love pirates, but let's leave it as it is. It makes POTC more special since it is the only one.

jsw123
07-17-2007, 11:01 PM
A Pirate themed character meal would be great! My DD3 has withstood my pushing, and is NOT a princess! She is sweet and lovely, but loves animals more than princesses. She is excited to meet Cinderella, but just as anticipating Jack Sparrow!!!! (and Remy from Ratatouille!) Adventureland will be a favorite for her.

I don't have any boys, but, certainly a "boy" themed character meal would be well received, yes? Girls like Princesses and Mickey. Pirates would be more the realm of boys, in general. A great idea!

We leave in TWO days!!!!!! SO EXCITED!!!!!:mickey:

snifflesmcg
07-17-2007, 11:26 PM
I think Adventureland is fine, just the way it is. Adding to the Pirates theme would be an overkill and in a few years, it will show it's age. I don't think anyone wants "Toyland" or "Fishland". Can you imagine if they redid a land for every new movie that came out?

Magic Smiles
07-17-2007, 11:29 PM
I agree with the last post. A pirate themed character experience would be great--or even just a boy themed character meal.

I second or third that!

beksy
07-18-2007, 01:23 AM
I say leave Adventureland as it is but add a pirate-themed meal and meet-and-greet.

RAIDER
07-18-2007, 04:06 AM
I think they have the right balance as it stands :thumbsup:

BritCody
07-18-2007, 06:40 AM
I love the movies, but leave Adventureland alone. POTC and Captain Jacks Tutorial is enough

countrycharmer
07-18-2007, 07:32 AM
I like things the way they are...no overkill!!

mainemajor
07-18-2007, 07:39 AM
How about a pirate themed eatery? That's all the change I would like to see.

BigRedDad
07-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Disney is getting too Pirates and Princess'd out. I have an 18 month old daughter that we want to love Disney as much as DW and I do. The Princesses will never go away because that is every little girl's dream. But they need to tone it down some. Pirates is a fad for the boys. Davey Crockett, Tom Sawyer were the hits when I was growing up. But to dedicate an entire land to something that will pass is not a good idea. They can enhance PotC more to cover the current fad.

I am trying to push my DD away from the Princesses and fall in love with the Faeries and other characters.

r4kids
07-18-2007, 09:07 AM
I really am not a fan of the tree house, it's boring at this point. I would like to see a pirate themed area added to Adventure Land. There are rides that need updating before any new theme park attractions though. I also agree with SOME dining for boys though. DS9 has out grown Pooh, Mickey and the gang 5 years ago. :mickey:

65 days!!!!!!

BMan62
07-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Right now, "Pirates" is a hot commodity. In a year or two, unless Disney decides to make a franchise out of "Pirates" spinoffs and sequels, the popularity will probably die off somewhat.

The current PotC ride has been updated to reflect the interest in the movies, and is sufficient.

Let's not get to the point of complete overkill and burnout just because something is 'hot' right now.

aprilshowers93
07-18-2007, 11:56 AM
I personally feel that if Disney went about it correctly and didn't make it totally based on the movie, a land based on just pirates (with some things relating to the movie) it would never go out of style. People have enjoyed the original Pirates of the Caribbean for 50 years and I don't see that changing. Its kind of just expanding on adventure.

TheRustyScupper
07-18-2007, 12:05 PM
1) A "land" is made up of many themes.
2) A "pirates" land would be too focused.
3) Leave the pirate theme as an attraction (or two).
4) Let's not go overboard.

PeterPanFan
07-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Leave adventure land as it is. Make a jungle book attraction!

moe513
07-18-2007, 03:49 PM
I think mk needs a new land.

TuscanRaider
07-18-2007, 03:56 PM
One more attraction might be ok but I am fine with just the one POTC. It makes it that more great! I don't want them overkilling pirates since it is such a great thing but a whole land after it is just not wide-ranged enough as like adventureland. Adventureland could use some more "things".

I say take out Aladdins Magic Carpets! :number1:

P.S. Take Aladdin out and leave that space open again!

Nekochan
07-18-2007, 07:06 PM
It would be great to have an attraction or meal geared towards boys. Girls have the whole bibidi bobidi thing, plus several princess meals, and a fairy godmother meal.

I'd LOVE a pirates meal with Jack Sparrow - but everyone seems to be abandoning Captain Hook!!! Or, how about a Buzz and Woody meal?

SBETigg
07-18-2007, 07:14 PM
I'd LOVE a pirates meal with Jack Sparrow - but everyone seems to be abandoning Captain Hook!!! Or, how about a Buzz and Woody meal?

Hook is great, and a pirates meal would be fantastic. But I don't think I've ever seen a villain at a character meal. They tend to play it safer for the kids.

Victor Kelly
07-18-2007, 07:51 PM
No pirate land, no more pirate rides, no pirate restaurants. I don't want Pirates to be rammed down my throat like Stitch was.

Ther is a "pirate" restaurant. Pirita E El Parico. Rehab that place and keep it open. POTC is good just as it is. I hear the Depp character is really good and so are the new effects.

If you want serious pirate themes that are still lighthearted, try Pirates Cove mini golf at the crossroads or on I Drive.

GrmGrninGost
07-18-2007, 11:33 PM
Leave Adventureland alone! It is a classic as it is! However I do like pirates, so maybe another ride and a little more theming right around POTC would be good!:pirate:

aprilshowers93
07-19-2007, 01:59 PM
I agree with you grmgrningost I think adventureland should stay the same. (maybe take out flying carpets) and if pirateland never happens, at least not at WDW, then I would like to see some more theming like you said, and another ride.

DisneyJunkie
07-19-2007, 07:55 PM
They definitely should retheme Adventureland, especially considering it's the weakest-themed land in the Magic Kingdom. It's a jumbled mish-mash of attractions thrown together, and of them ONLY Pirates of the Caribbean is worth a person's time and energy to take in. Everything else, especially Jungle Cruise and Swiss Family Treehouse (which really should be replaced with a full-size Black Pearl.

LilHooligan74
07-19-2007, 08:18 PM
i think maybe one more ride, and the restaurant would be great. I like the ideas mentioned above:clappy:

WEDTOPIA
07-19-2007, 09:03 PM
They definitely should retheme Adventureland, especially considering it's the weakest-themed land in the Magic Kingdom. It's a jumbled mish-mash of attractions thrown together, and of them ONLY Pirates of the Caribbean is worth a person's time and energy to take in. Everything else is c-r-a-p, especially Jungle Cruise and Swiss Family Treehouse (which really should be replaced with a full-size Black Pearl.

So jungles and treehouses are not themes of adventure ?

You know , everyone is entitled to their opinion. Many enjoy those attractions , and appreciate the detail and effort Disney has put into them. Not to mention the architecture and vegitation that is found in Adventureland.

Dizneyfan
07-19-2007, 09:24 PM
I agree with leaving adventureland the way it is. My children love Swiss Family Treehouse, POTC and the Jungle Cruise. I do feel that they could add a Pirate themed character meal for the boys. My Ds(4) would really enjoy it.:thumbsup:

aprilshowers93
07-20-2007, 04:23 PM
I think "jungle cruise" in its name is an excellent theme for a ride. I also think that it could be spruced up just a little and with the movie coming out they might just do that. I certaily enjoy jungle cruise everytime I go, but itsn't one of my favorites. I hope in the next few years they give new life to this attraction and make it awesome again like I am sure it seemed back when it was created.

And please, keep leaving your comments on Pirateland.

I was actually reading that Discovery/Treasure Island in the middle of Bay lake was originally suppose to be an island dedicated to pirates and then it became a animal park. Maybe that "Pirate-themed adventure" as they call it in the 2006 annual report isn't meant to become "pirateland," but a true adventure on this island that was the reason Walt decided to build where he did. Thoughts?

IloveDisney71
07-20-2007, 04:54 PM
I love Pirates and POTC as much as the next person. I don't think there are enough ideas to support a whole Pirateland and I don't want to see anything taken away from the current Adventureland. One of the reasons I make so many repeat visits is to relive my childhood memories of Adventureland.

Stu29573
07-20-2007, 05:05 PM
I was actually reading that Discovery/Treasure Island in the middle of Bay lake was originally suppose to be an island dedicated to pirates and then it became a animal park. Maybe that "Pirate-themed adventure" as they call it in the 2006 annual report isn't meant to become "pirateland," but a true adventure on this island that was the reason Walt decided to build where he did. Thoughts?

I had heard that. Actually, that would be a great idea! Then you could have the Black Pearl, etc, there...
By the way, I thought that island was the one island that was actually there when Walt bought the property (in a much smaller pool, however) :mickey:

ElenitaB
07-22-2007, 12:19 AM
Disney is one thing we're all pretty passionate about, but I would ask everyone to please keep the tone of conversation friendly and keep in mind that Intercot is a family-friendly forum.

Thank you!

Carol
07-22-2007, 07:09 AM
MODERATOR ALERT! See Ellen's reply directly above.

Also - Personal bickering has been removed from this thread. Please use the private messaging feature to talk to each other back and forth.

Let's be respectful of opinion and stay on topic folks.

playdead88
07-22-2007, 08:40 AM
yes! and entire area at disney that is geared toward boys would be awesome!! we had this conversation earlier about no character dining for boys - i have a ds and a dd while there is no end to princess attractions and dining, and my dd loves that, there seems to be a lack when boys are concerned - what about pirate character dining or star wars character dining? my ds is 13 and though seeing mickey at breakfast is ok and he goes, i think more for the food than the characters, it would be great to go to a breakfast or a whole land at disney that was created with a boy in mind :mickey:

LibertyTreeGal
07-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Leave Adventureland alone! I love everything about it (except Alladin's Flying Carpets)

But I did just get back from DL and their Pirate's Lair refurb of Tom Sawyer's Island is AWESOME!

EmcDuckRN
07-23-2007, 02:04 PM
I thought I would create a poll since there are already a few threads about turning adventureland into pirateland. I was wondering what the overall concensus is.

Here is some artwork done in their annual report. It is labeled "Dreaming." Bob Iger states that some of these ideas will become a reality and some will not, but it is what the imagineers are looking at as of january 2007. (One is labeled pirate-themed adventure and it has been rumored on other sites that it is planned for Hong Kong Disneyland.) http://corporate.disney.go.com/investors/annual_reports/2006/int/dint.html

I may have missed it, but I read it as "pirate themed adventure." which could mean simply adding another pirates themed ride. Which I would enjoy.

It is good to see Disney remembering the little boys as well. Everything was going Princess there for a while. The pirates brings in the other half of the audience, (as well as my DD.)

KAT1811
07-23-2007, 03:35 PM
I think a small Pirateland would be nice for the boys. Maybe a theme dining experience in a restaurant shaped like a pirate ship. With all of the princess theming around the parks I think the boys could use a little area for them (and I have 3 DDs no boys)! Nothing too crazy or big but just a little something. Maybe tie it in with a little villan theming as well. Therefore when all the pirate hype is over they'll have something to adapt it to.

aprilshowers93
07-24-2007, 01:13 PM
I may have missed it, but I read it as "pirate themed adventure." which could mean simply adding another pirates themed ride. Which I would enjoy.

Here is a link to my new thread, it may clear up the "Pirate-themed adventure" sketch.

http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=110785

However, I personally hope they add at least one more pirate themed attraction and to adventureland in WDW and an explorable Black Pearl to of course.

RocknRoller94
07-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Pirateland would be okay as long as they don't take out the other attractions. Actually, I personally think that it would be neat.:mickey:

animalkingdomguy
07-25-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm conflicted about this question. I believe Disney is using the Pirates phenom as a cash cow. I love the POC attraction and I love the movies. I want WDW to grow and be prosperous but they might be going too pirate crazy. If they were to expand I would pray that they would leave Adventure land untouched.