PDA

View Full Version : How did you like Rose & Crown?

Momto2Princesses&1Pirate
07-17-2007, 05:36 PM
I made an ADR for Rose & Crown at 8:10 for hopefully a stress-free view of Illuminations. Other than people talking about R&C for Illuminations, I really haven't seen much info about their food. After seeing that the chicken pastry is no longer on the menu I'm wondering if I should go somewhere else. I'm not sure how the kids will do with the food either (DD11 who eats like a bird and is PICKY, DD6 who I'm sure will love the fish, and DS4 ??) DH is wonderful and willing to do whatever I want. We also didn't get to see Illuminations on our first visit (6/05) because of torrential rains both days we were at Epcot. I wanted to make a special point that we see it this trip. Sorry for being so "wordy". The bottom line: is it worth it for the Illuminations view alone? Thanks for your help! :mickey:

SBETigg
07-17-2007, 06:10 PM
It's not worth it for the view alone. Chances are that you won't even get patio seating and will have to relocate to their viewing area for the show, which isn't bad but moving mid-meal isn't the best. You're better off getting a place around the lagoon early or trying for counter service with a view in Mexico. There are plenty of great views all around WS. Go there if you are into the food and atmosphere, not just for the view.

The food, by the way, is pretty good and my picky kids really loved the fish and chips. Best wishes with your decision.

hooberry
07-17-2007, 06:32 PM
I was not impressed with Rose and Crown, we had the fish and chips and it was nothing special, although it would be great for pickey eaters. But I did learn that Yorkshire Pudding is NOT pudding by any definition:blush:

DreamFinder2
07-17-2007, 07:01 PM
I'd have to agree w/ the previous poster. I've eaten there twice and wasn't really excited about it either time. The menu's pretty limited and, not being a big fan of fried-ish foods, I had a hard time finding something.

Personally, I'd rather make an ADR at the San Angel Inn and just find somewhere around the lagoon to watch Illuminations afterward.

grego77
07-17-2007, 07:19 PM
I was not impressed with Rose and Crown. The fish was not fresh, and almost inedible. It's really sad, because the steak was good, as was the stewed mushrooms. The view is awesome, but not worth me going back. Overall though, by far the worst WDW restaurant I've been to. Go to Coral Reef or Biergarten instead :D

Pirate Granny
07-17-2007, 07:58 PM
We've eaten there over ten times...the food is average...but the view is fantastic...over half of our visits we were seated on the patio with front row seats for Illuminations...to be truthful the service was slow, very slow as they knew we would be their last customers...and once we got ash in our food because of the directions of the wind during the show...but we much prefer to do dining and watching...so we think it's well work the effort...especially if you aren't keen on standing around waiting for the show to start...only once we had to wait for our table (we always make reservations around 8pm)...it was the week of Xmas and we waited in the very cold, well over 45 minutes and were seated on the patio which had heaters and plastic sheeting for windows...but my father loved the food and show, so it was worth the wait and cold...
Have a great visit...
:pirate:

Rodders
07-18-2007, 06:23 PM
My local pub does brilliant Fish and Chips and the Yorkshire Puddings are excellent. Now If I could just convince the landlord to create a lake and set up a fantastic firework display :cloud9:

emmingo
07-18-2007, 09:41 PM
I actually wouldn't worry so much about the ADRs, if you just have them to see the fireworks. Having to get up in the middle of your meal is annoying.

R&C is a favorite of ours for the beer and not so much for the food, but we've been known to stake out a spot on their patio around 7:30 or so (by where you come over from France), facing out toward the lagoon, grab some of their fish and chips (which are actually pretty good), and wait out Illuminations. We usually get to have some pretty cool conversations with folks who sit down and fill up our table and I am always willing to send DH on expeditions back to France for baked goods or to the other side of the UK for coffee (plus there is a bathroom nearby).

Horizon93
07-18-2007, 11:17 PM
We love the Rose & Crown. The food is very good. We can never resist the Bangers and Mash. The service is great as well. If you are lucky enough to get a view of the lagoon that would be great, but it is not guaranteed. The service is pretty quick, though. If you don't get lagoon view, you should be just about finished by the time Illuminations begins. Keep the ADR I think you will enjoy R&C/ Have fun!

Here we go again...
07-19-2007, 05:22 AM
We ate there 1 time and that was enough for us. We did not care for the food at all. The service was bad which resulted in cold food... cold cod is not one of my favorites. My DH had the bangers and mash and did not like it. He said it was extremly salty... maybe it is supposed to be that way.

Mickey'sGirl
07-19-2007, 08:45 AM
I wasn't impressed by the Rose and Crown's food (we've only eaten there once though). I really thought it was greasy and tasteless. :sick:

DisneyTeen
07-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Not a big fan of the food, its pretty cool to drink the yard of beer. But like someone said, it not worth it just for the view.

avantgardeinker
07-19-2007, 11:33 AM
I've never had a problem getting a view of Illuminations, but when I made my ADR's in June the CM told me that they don't allow requests for patio seating anymore. You just have to take your chances. As for the food. It's really good and if you have picky eaters you can always ask them to accomadate your appetite. i.e.... leaving the cabbage off the bangers and mash, etc...

140 more days!!
:mickey:

FaithTrustPixieDust
07-19-2007, 11:55 AM
To me the best thing about Rose and Crown is the atmosphere and the view of the fireworks. Their menu is not the kind of food that I love. I've only eaten there once and we did get to sit on the patio. However, if you look over the menu (posted online) and don't see anything that excites you, then maybe this is not the place for you. There are too many other amazing restaurants in Epcot that you might really enjoy.

Disney Yankee
07-19-2007, 12:16 PM
We loved the Rose and Crown. :thumbsup: We went there for dinner and Illuminations this year and then went back for lunch the next day. Loved the Shepard's Pie!!!:tasty:

lightyearfan
07-19-2007, 12:33 PM
well we've been to the R&C twice and both times we were very happy with our meal, the first time we ate the fish&chips second time i had the bangers and mash and dw had the chicken dish and we didn't request it, and got a great patio seat, i'm pretty sure if you ask for a patio seat you'll get it

Victor

Polynesian Dweller
07-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Been to R&C twice. The first time the food was just OK, nothing to make us hurry back. The second time it was just awful. A British pavillion unable to beef and Yorkshire pudding, Fish and Chips well is unbelieveable. The food that time was the worst we've ever had in WDW and we likely won't be back.

ElenitaB
07-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Keep in mind that having an ADR or even requesting a table on the lower patio, will not get you a table on the lower patio. I've seen the CMs at the podium get incredible pressure from guests to get those oh-so-coveted tables and I don' think it was much fun for them at all. :(

We've eaten several times over the years at R&C. The very first time we went was Thanksgiving week (we did have a lower patio table) and we FROZE! I still get the shivers thinking about it. But the CMs were awesome and kept the hot beverages coming. Needless to say, that year I ordered soup for my entree!

Since then we've gone in better weather, most recently last November. Their stewed mushroom appetizer is very rich and very delicious. My DS — who's eaten there at age 5, 6 and 11 — has really enjoyed the fish and chips there. I've had the chicken pasty (no longer offered), Shepherd's Pie and last year, the steak and fish combo. I have no complaints about what we've had there.

P.S. We've always been seated on the patio (upper or lower terrace) and I really don't consider the view the best view of Illuminations at all. But it's still a nice experience.

LoriMistress
07-19-2007, 06:07 PM
With the time that you have you'll most likely not get the patio seating that you want. And regardless, there will always be an issue with fighting for a good view. When you arrive just expect to not to get the seating that you want.