PDA

View Full Version : Magic Kingdom expansion.... hypothetical

Von-Drake
07-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Just a hypothetical question:
Do you think they will ever expand the Magic Kingdom? I know they would have to go beyond the train tracks, either re-route them or build tunnels or bridges. They seem to be cramming more and more into a tighter spot. They had to remove the skyway, they placed the Magic Carpets in a prime walkway, I personally even believe they crammed Toon Town into to tight of an area. Plus as new cartoons are released they could actually build rides based on them not replace classic favorites like Mr. Toads Wild Ride. I was just wondering how many other people have ever wondered the same thing.

countrycharmer
07-17-2007, 12:55 PM
:number1:Great topic question.... For a long while my husband and I have felt the same way as yourself. The last time we went we felt that things were a bit crammed and that we missed some older rides/attractions that have been replaced with newer ones.

I think it would be great if they could somehow increase the size and continue to add new rides and keep the older sentimental ones going alongside them!!

Thanks for a great topic!!:D

DisneyFreak23
07-17-2007, 01:13 PM
It sure would be pretty cool if they added another land or something. I'm not sure what the land could be themed for, does anyone have any ideas?

BigRedDad
07-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Although I would like it, in theory it would never happen. I watched some WDW show on DiscoveryHD the other night. There is a Golden Spike in the floor of the Castle walk through. That represents the geographical center of MK. It was one of Walt's main ideas and I doubt anyone in the Board Room would venture to change that. Therefore, in order to expand MK, it would have to expand equally around the entire circumference of the park. Not an easy feat with the limited space on all sides.

Hey, they are the Imagineers. They can come up with an innovative way to expand. Maybe they could build spherically upward? :confused:

Jakk
07-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Right now in terms of expansion there is still enough room in Tommorowland, and Adventureland to both have a E-ticket attraction. There still the unused 20K spot which will hold another E-ticket. Also during when IOA was being built Disney was planning to build a Villians Themed land and have Villan flume ride, I think the named of the attraction was Bald Mountain and also having another E-ticket attraction in Adventureland called Fire Mountain. But as you cann see none of this happend. The villians themed land acutally wasnt supose to go over the train tracks so you cant imagine how much land there still is without going over the train tracks. So yeah the Magic Kingdom has tons of expansion room!

Mickey91
07-18-2007, 10:18 AM
The 20K spot has become a playground. Are you saying it will be short lived? I can only hope.

I think there is plenty of room to expand. I don't think it would be an impossible task to move all of the track out to build a ride or two in each land. Toon Town could definitely be improved. Bring some of the fun stuff from Disneyland over. (Not taking it from DL) That being said, I would love to see new things at MK as long as nothing else had to go.

aprilshowers93
07-20-2007, 04:34 PM
I also think they should start thinking about expanding. If Walt did want a park going out equally on all sides, they could do it gradually so that one day, it would be like that again. I think moving the train tracks would be a good Idea, unless it was too expensive, then they could just build beyond. I definitely think disney goers are aching for a new land or expansion on already exsisting ones. Both would be BEST!!

indytraveler
07-20-2007, 05:06 PM
Expansion at the MK!! That would be great. Looking at my old park maps. They show room behind Tommorrowland towards the front. and some room behind Jungle Cruise. I haven't taken the train ride around the park in 30+ years so I can't remember exactly how much room. Still some room behind Fantasyland too.

I'm in favor of changing ToonTown to add some more rides. Alot of space for meet and greets.

WDWfanatic742
07-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Rumor (I am saying a rumor, and a very loose one at that) is that the Magic Kingdom should get a new "E" Ticket ride on the other side of the train tracks (ie. Space Mountain) sometime by 2010 or 2011. I'd love to see something new at the park that is an exicting ride. I'd love some rides in Toontown like how Disneyland's is. They have Roger Rabbit Car Toon Spin and a few other neat things.

mttafire
07-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Considering disneyland is SMALLER than the m.k. and it has MORE attractions an expansion might not be needed. Im sure there is room for more within the current boundaries.

Jakk
07-21-2007, 04:00 AM
Rumor (I am saying a rumor, and a very loose one at that) is that the Magic Kingdom should get a new "E" Ticket ride on the other side of the train tracks (ie. Space Mountain) sometime by 2010 or 2011. I'd love to see something new at the park that is an exicting ride. I'd love some rides in Toontown like how Disneyland's is. They have Roger Rabbit Car Toon Spin and a few other neat things.

Acutally thats preatty much accurate from what I'm hearing. From what I heard there's gonna be a Incrdibles E-ticket ride that gonna use the kukla (SP?) arm.

Rodders
07-21-2007, 11:21 AM
A bigger MK :jaw:

Oh go on then :mickey:

Main Street Jim
07-21-2007, 12:36 PM
I haven't taken the train ride around the park in 30+ yearsShame on you :)

There's really no place to expand the "land size" of MK. Behind Adventureland (yes, including behind Jungle Cruise; that's one place where the floats cross the train tracks)/Frontierland (outside of the railroad), you have the Production Center where the parade floats are parked. Behind Haunted Mansion and the Indian village, again outside of the RR, there's a canal, then a road that goes around the back of the park. Between Fantasyland and the railroad tracks, you have our Cast access tunnel to the park; a maintenance area; and a swamp that's in the process of being cleared for something (? - I have no idea what's going back there; probably another maintenance area it looks like. I was at the park last week.). On the other side of the railroad back there, you have a canal for a retention pond, the main fireworks launch area, the road (Floridian Way), and then Reedy Creek Energy Services. Getting closer to ToonTown, again, behind the old 20K show building, you have Reedy Creek Fire Department Station 2. On the other side of the railroad from ToonTown, you have a retention pond, Cast Drive (I think that's the name of the road); the Monorial, and another maintenance area. Between TTF and Tomorrowland, there's a canal from that retention pond right alongside the train tracks (look on the left through the trees) and Cast Drive, and parking for Contemporary Cast. So there's really not all the land to "expand" the MK as everyone thinks there is...

mttafire
07-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Shame on you :)

There's really no place to expand the "land size" of MK. Behind Adventureland (yes, including behind Jungle Cruise; that's one place where the floats cross the train tracks)/Frontierland (outside of the railroad), you have the Production Center where the parade floats are parked. Behind Haunted Mansion and the Indian village, again outside of the RR, there's a canal, then a road that goes around the back of the park. Between Fantasyland and the railroad tracks, you have our Cast access tunnel to the park; a maintenance area; and a swamp that's in the process of being cleared for something (? - I have no idea what's going back there; probably another maintenance area it looks like. I was at the park last week.). On the other side of the railroad back there, you have a canal for a retention pond, the main fireworks launch area, the road (Floridian Way), and then Reedy Creek Energy Services. Getting closer to ToonTown, again, behind the old 20K show building, you have Reedy Creek Fire Department Station 2. On the other side of the railroad from ToonTown, you have a retention pond, Cast Drive (I think that's the name of the road); the Monorial, and another maintenance area. Between TTF and Tomorrowland, there's a canal from that retention pond right alongside the train tracks (look on the left through the trees) and Cast Drive, and parking for Contemporary Cast. So there's really not all the land to "expand" the MK as everyone thinks there is...
I love the train ride all the way around...Its a must.:thumbsup:

Mufasa
07-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Is future expansion of the Magic Kingdom possible? Yes.

Is it possible to add additional attractions to the Magic Kingdom? Yes.

There are several sites around the Magic Kingdom (both inside and outside the berm) which have been identified in site surveys and layout plans as possible areas for future attractions

snifflesmcg
07-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Although I would like it, in theory it would never happen. I watched some WDW show on DiscoveryHD the other night. There is a Golden Spike in the floor of the Castle walk through. That represents the geographical center of MK. It was one of Walt's main ideas and I doubt anyone in the Board Room would venture to change that. Therefore, in order to expand MK, it would have to expand equally around the entire circumference of the park. Not an easy feat with the limited space on all sides.

Hey, they are the Imagineers. They can come up with an innovative way to expand. Maybe they could build spherically upward? :confused:

I would LOVE to see this special. You wouldn't happen to know the name of it would you? Also, can you see the spike in the walkway?

Anyway, if this is true, it would go against Walt's wishes. I think MK is pretty great (for the most part) the way it is. Oh I am sure there are some hidden places to stick a new attraction/ride or change some things that need to go (IMO the old 20K spot that's now a playground). With a big of rearranging, anything is possible (just as long as they don't crowd anything).

Mufasa
07-21-2007, 04:28 PM
The so-called "Golden Spike" generally refers to Disneyland, but it's an urban legend (first, the marker in the walkway behind the castle is brass, not gold and does not, and never did mark the geographic center of Disneyland).

The marker exists as a reference point to help denote the centerline of main street.
The true geographic center of Disneyland actually would be in the castle forecourt.

What makes the "Golden Spike" legend a bit confusing and contributing to the nature of the urban legend as far as Walt Disney history is that Walt was the second recipient of a "Golden Spike" award handed out to him by George Falcon in the mid 1960's and has since become an award symbol for the National Association of Railroad Passengers to mark individuals who have made important contributions to the passenger rail cause.

Golden Spikes usually were used traditionally (as in the case of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad in 1869) to mark the completion of important projects.

The stories have been twisted over the years in some versions to indicate that Walt had placed his golden spike award in Disneyland during a ceremony at the park's grand opening which is not true (since he did not receive his golden spike award until the mid 1960's and there is no such record of any sort of golden spike ceremony on opening day)

There are other common misquoted legends and stories surrounding Disneyland and Walt's wishes such as an unfinished spire on the castle (not covered in gold leaf) because it was Walt's hope that Disneyland would never be completed and was left as a tribute to him. The truth is that during a rehab of the Castle, the art director at the time just thought aging that particular spire just looked better so it gave the appearance that it was unfinished when it was just the way the spire was painted and didn't reflect light the same as the other spires.

Of course those who believed the story (along with guest relations tour guides who perpetuated the myth themselves on early versions of the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour) were shocked when the 50th celebration and castle design was revealed and Walt's "unfinished" spire was covered over in gold leaf.

Incidentally, Disneyland did hand out a few Golden Spikes to commemorate the opening of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to individuals connected to Disneyland that had played a significant role in the park's history.

Main Street Jim
07-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Mufasa....GREAT to see you back on here! E-mail or PM me, please...got some news for ya ;)

wdwfansince75
07-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Going vertical is a great idea.....as in the great classic DL ries, the Matterhorn.....I would use the still existant Skyway to Tomorrowland structure as the entrance and queue.....I would sculpt and pattern the face of the mountain towards the Rivers of America as the Catskills, an appropriate viewscape for the HM. I would pattern the Mountain facing Fantasyland as the Alps, an appropriate viewscape for IASW. And possibly a third viewscape, a Rockies view for the Railroad.....

battlefield2freak
07-23-2007, 08:29 PM
i dont think MK was ever meant to be expanded upon since the rides are built all along the train and besides that there is a lake just less then 100 ft. in some areas of the track that they need in order to do work on the riverboat. and they had to remove the skyway because the guest were dropping stuff out of them and onto ppl/rides below. i think toontown fits perfectly in the are its in and shouldnt be moved because there is nothing left out from it. another good point they cnt is tht they have designated some areas of the property as places they wont develop/build on areas and im pretty sure the land surrounding MK is part of that.

back in the swamp i just remembered cant u see the riverboat when its down for repairs/rehabs while your riding the train? i remember back in 2005 or 2006 when we rode the train and it was down for that extensive rehab we saw part of the boat

wdwfansince75
07-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Okay, while I don't agree that there is no room to expand, let me suggest a change I've dreamed about for some time.....Like many people, the Speedway is about my least favorite ride, and a waste of the space it occupies....How about redoing it as a Mr. Toads Wild Ride....keep most of the tracks, but change the vehicles to replicas of the cars from MTWR.....Build a new Entry/Exit/Queue....Base it on Toad Hall....have part of the ride inside the Hall, replicating scenes from the original ride, and landscape the outdoor part of the ride to mirror the England countryside the story is based on. The new entry/queue could located to either be part of Toon Town or Fantasyland.

RocknRoller94
07-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Nice Idea!:mickey: I think that a bigger MK would be terrific! Perhaps they could rebuild 20,000 Leagues and Mr. Toad.:number1:

aprilshowers93
07-24-2007, 03:46 PM
If you go to www.local.live.com, you can type in disney world and get an ariel view, or click on the image of 3 skyscrapers and get a bird's eye view. It is very cool and you can see possible places they can expand. I personally think that if they wanted to expand the park, they could. They would just move the maintenance areas further out. From my pespective, it looks like they could build a whole new land behind fantasyland.

Imagineer1981
07-24-2007, 04:34 PM
disneyland may have more attractions, but the beauty of Magic Kingdom is that it doesn't have to be crammed into a tiny park like DL. It has tons of space, and I don't think Disney will start shoving rides in just to expand, and around the borders of the park are so many service roads and storage areas and a swamp that it would be tough to go outwards

battlefield2freak
07-24-2007, 06:16 PM
disneyland may have more attractions, but the beauty of Magic Kingdom is that it doesn't have to be crammed into a tiny park like DL. It has tons of space, and I don't think Disney will start shoving rides in just to expand, and around the borders of the park are so many service roads and storage areas and a swamp that it would be tough to go outwards

i wish people wouldnt be so critical of the speedway. it serves its purpose, to entertain the little kids, as you notice thats what that entire line is mostly, parents with little kids. i would agree on a rebuild of the 20k ride in the lagoon but as you said there si no room due to a sawp, a maze of service roads, and another big problem; utilidors. yes utilidors, they are under all of the MK and it would cost a ton of money to build outwards since they would have to dry up some swamp, make sure ground is stable, avoid service roads and dig down to build a utildor extension. after all that where would be the point to continue since it would cost billions of money to just add one small land outside the railroad tracks which they would have to move back behind the new land and add an exra amount of money. on top of that the backside of most rides like splash mouuntain arent themed so they would for certain close it off while they put up matching themeing to the ride and other rides like that. yes disney is cable of such an expansion but the MK is not meant to be expanded upon and would make more sense to make a new park since they own all that land why cram it all around MK when they have loads of places to choose from.

wdwfansince75
07-25-2007, 09:51 AM
The Magic Kingdom is just that....Magic! It is what it is, and I love that....It is what I dream it to be, and I love that! I see it as it is to me.....each of us sees it our way, and each is right.

Is it too small? Not to me. Especially at 66, I was starting to think it is larger than it was on my first visit, at age 34, since it takes more time to get from place.

Are there enough rides? Sure....never rode them all in one day.....(although I did try it once).....always something left over for tomorrow.

Could there be more? Of course, although I have fond memories of those no longer there, and dreams of those yet to come.....and yet one more reason to come back!

HallandNash
07-25-2007, 12:04 PM
The 20K spot has become a playground. Are you saying it will be short lived? I can only hope.

I haven't seen the new playground, but it can't possibly use all of the 20K area, can it? It was a pretty large area if you include the indoor part and all.

SignguyTom
07-25-2007, 03:39 PM
There is a Golden Spike in the floor of the Castle walk through. That represents the geographical center of MK. It was one of Walt's main ideas and I doubt anyone in the Board Room would venture to change that.

Actually, in Anaheim, they have done so much remodeling and adjusting since Walt's death that the golden spike is nowhere near the center anymore, (per Tessa, our tour guide in April :thumbsup:). I doubt that that would be an issue at MK since Walt passed away before it was built/completed. Walt's vision was to have enough property to be able to expand as much as necessary. I could see MK growing in the distant future (20+ years). But only if it would be wise financially...$$$

battlefield2freak
07-25-2007, 03:49 PM
there is plenty of room to make a 20k ride again or a nemo ride like at DLR in that lagoon at fantasyland. just expand it back a little more and you'd have plenty of room as DLR has i bet. i dont know if they could do this since i never saw if a ride was behind it. with all this work being done lately though i see no expansion/new ride inside MK for at least 1- 2 years.

dolphinmickey9170
07-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Why not take out the playground at Pooh's and move that all back a way and put in something new. Another thrill ride perhaps? That aerial search posted earlier is cool. Take out the back parking and move it back beyond the tree line and put something there.