PDA

View Full Version : What sets WDW apart from other parks

Caroleh
07-16-2007, 10:21 PM
After reading several post on how CM's are rude and Disney has lost it's magic, I was wondering what sets WDW apart from other parks?

I went to WDW for the first time in my life last year, so I don't know how WDW is losing it's magic. I do know it was there for me, and the majority of the trip it wasn't the CM's but the park itself. I remember saying a couple of years ago that Disney wasn't my cup of tea, I'm not into amusement parks (just a reminder for those of you that didn't know, I won the trip).

For me, I think its how every ride has a theme, from the queue to the ride itself, exiting the ride and also the smell. It's how you become totally immersed in the ride itself.

BTW, my opinion changed really quickly!!!!

JCDarzi
07-16-2007, 10:35 PM
I think that WDW has magic for all ages. Even if you are not a theme park person...Disney just seems to transport you to a fairytale land.

I studied Quality Assurance in college and Disney was often used for case studies for their amazing attention to detail. It amazes me how no matter how many people visit the park, there never seems to be overflowing trash cans, the bathrooms are usually clean, there is no litter, no dead flowers. It's just phenomenal how they manage such a vast property. Even if you are an un-Disney person, you have to be impressed by that.

I completely agree that the theming is amazing for the entire WDW property. It allows you to be completely immersed in this fantasy world.

We will be taking our 4th trip in four years in September. Each one has been better than the next. Let's hope that this one is the same.

nicole48040
07-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Hmmmmm....
When I first walk into MK my ears are filled with cheerful music. Next, my eyes are drawn to all the beautiful landscaping and the finely detailed architecture that is highlighted with such warm inviting colors. Then my sense of smell begins to overload after passing only a few of these buildings, each selling something more scrumptous than seems possible. If that wasn't enough, I suddenly find myself rushing to get in line to be given an affectionate hug by some character that I have loved since I was a child. To top all of that is, if you are a parent, watching the innocent wonder and complete excitement wash over your child's face at every turn. True euphoria, I say! :mickey:

There is no garbage, no politics, no violence.....it's like how our world should really be.

rnin02
07-17-2007, 12:36 AM
Hmmmmm....
There is no garbage, no politics, no violence.....it's like how our world should really be.

That's it exactly! I love the fact the parks are so clean, the majority of the CMs are friendly (above and beyond 99% of the time), and you can just get immersed in the parks without being reminded about the "real world". Our local amusement park is just not the same since we started going to Disney; its dirty, the employees are rude, the whole park has a "shady" feel to it because of the actions of the other park-goers, its just not the same. Plus, at Disney, most of the rides are rider friendly, you can take your bags with you, us plus-size people can ride comfortably, the rides are kept in good shape.

Besides going one time to MK as a child, I've only been visiting Disney world for the past few years...but I don't see it doing downhill year to year. I tell everyone, even if you aren't a "Disney" person, you should go once, just to see what its all about. Then they would get converted;) I wish my parents would go and see Epcot, at least the World showcase, if nothing else...they aren't disney people, or amusement park people, but I think they would still love World Showcase. I think Disney has something for everyone, which is another thing that sets it apart.

nicole48040
07-18-2007, 11:43 AM
I really loved this question because it just filled me with all of those feelings that I had while I was there. Now I REALLY cannot wait to go back! :cloud9:

MMouse6937
07-18-2007, 01:02 PM
What sets WDW apart from other parks is everything. It's a whole immersive experience, not just a thrill opportunity. I try to explain to people that when you walk into the parks and talk to people and see everything around you it's because that's the way Walt wanted it. He wanted to transport you beyond your everyday world. Very few people have that influence on things so long after their death, but it's because it works, it's the magic that is Disney. I know on my vacation I don't have to encounter any "stuff" that I deal with on an everyday basis. Most all of the time people are pleasant, things are clean, there is music and fun. I can't imagine any other place in the world (literally) like WDW. That's why we go back every year. :mickey:

DessertDivaFL
07-18-2007, 01:55 PM
WDW is special for so many reasons we couldn't count them. Ever since I started visiting WDW at age 5, I was taking a piece of the magic and putting in my heart. My heart now (32 years later) is full of love, inspiration, joy and laughter thanks in part to what I experience each and ever time I visit WDW. It is a part of who I am and I want the same for my children.

grumpyguy
07-18-2007, 04:02 PM
i have grown up not too far from what could be catorgorized as a "six flags" theme park and used to vacation there for a couple weeks a year.actually six flags owned this particular park for a few years and recently sold it.anyway,its a very cool place to vacation,it has roller coasters,water slides,shows,thrill rides,hotels,campgrounds and on & on..
BUT!!!!!this park and nobody elses park has
mr.walt disney and the history he brings.i have not been to my local park in 6yrs but been to disney 3 times since 2000 because of everything disney offers me.disney evokes memories of the past and a chance to make new ones and takes you away from our daily concerns.disney company works hard at the details it takes to keep people coming back and still keep paying more for a superior product than anyone elses in the world.
gg out!!:thumbsup:

GrmGrninGost
07-19-2007, 11:32 PM
I think one of the things that sets WDW apart from other parks is the CMs! When I go to other parks, I expect the employees to be snotty. It's a pleasant surprise when one is exceptionally nice. At WDW we talk about the one who may have been rude or uncooperative because it shocks us that a Disney employee would behave in this manner.
There are many other reasons the Disney parks are special. The characters, the theming, the music and just the magical atmosphere! But, to me, Disney is special because Walt would have had it no other way!:mickey:

IloveDisney71
07-23-2007, 10:09 PM
... that's the way Walt wanted it. He wanted to transport you beyond your everyday world. :mickey:
I totally agree! It's the only place I can go and feel like I'm in a totally unique and magical place. The landscaping is always beautiful, the themes are unlike any other amusement park on Earth, and even if you encounter one or two grumpy patrons or CM's, there are 100 more happy people to take their place. I think Walt accomplished his dream of creating a place where families could play together in a magical, one-of-a-kind environment.:mickey2:

mouseketeer mom
07-23-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm an idealist for sure. I wish the real world was like DisneyWorld. Happy, Helpful, Kind, Good, A come as you are, everybody is welcome here place. I love it and feel so good when in this happy place! Honestly., all types, all dreams are welcome there. I love it. Its a take you away from troubles, and remind you to Wish kind of place. Nothing better than that! It goes way beyond entertainment, or spinning you around on a ride. Its a can't help but touch your heart and make it all happy kind of place!

LauraF
07-24-2007, 09:04 AM
I agree with the people who say WDW transports you beyond your ordinary world. (Like Tomorrowland - it's the future that never was, here today!)

I know when in the parks that it's fake, that RL isn't as well put together and friendly, but that's the point. I need at least one place in my life where everything is okay and I can immerse myself in the fantasy of such. Yes, it's an illusion, but I'm okay with that. It makes going back to my normal life a little easier. :mickey:

Belle619
07-24-2007, 10:01 AM
I agree that the attention to detail (sights, sounds, smells) really allows you to leave your everyday life behind and enter into a magical place where there are no worries or stress. You are not in Orlando or Aneheim, but a happy place filled with fantasy, a bright future, adventure and the wide open frontier.

Also, Disney seems to really focus on the family dynamic more so than other amusement parks. I feel that a lot of the average parks tend to be geared toward teenagers with nothing but fast-action thrill rides. Disney, on the other hand, has rides for all ages from young kids to grandparents. And, at EPCOT, you can actually learn while having fun! Imagine that!

mickeys_princess_mom
07-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Absolutely the attention to detail, chance to be a child again, and Walt Disney's pure magic....
:magic:

Tink#64
07-25-2007, 12:38 AM
I don't think you can completely explain it (at least not so that someone else could actually get it - I've tried & I still have the people that ask "You're going again?") the complete magic that is a WDW experience. It is so completely immersive and magical! For my family - it truly is "The Happiest Place On Earth"!Since we've started going to WDW we've quit going to amusement parks! We've gotten spoiled. For me one of the great things, that I've tried to explain, is that it's not kiddie rides vs. thrill rides. WDW is family attractions. We ride probably 90%+ all together, myself, DH & DS's 10 & 11! It's really a family time! And we all can bring home those wonderful memories of all the fun things we did together!To us WDW means family!
:hug::coaster::minnie::mickey3::donald::goofy: