PDA

View Full Version : Standard Auto Parts Mark Up?

merlinmagic4
07-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows the standard mark up for auto parts...............thanks :)

Edit: I guess I should clarify: I'm wondering how much a repair shop marks up parts that they buy from the auto parts store and install in a car.

DizneyRox
07-16-2007, 11:15 PM
A good mechanic won't upcharge all that much, if any. My latest trip to my mechanic and I got a call a couple days later saying that he overcharged me, sent me a check for about $20 on a $250 service.

My mechanic listed 4 sources for parts, along with prices, opted for the cheapest (it happened to be a genuine Nissan part as well) and that was the cost of the part. His "profit" was labor, not a markup on the parts. That call basicaly solidified him as my one and only mechanic too!

If you are getting upcharged on the parts, it might be time to shop for a new mechanic.

merlinmagic4
07-17-2007, 08:56 AM
If you are getting upcharged on the parts, it might be time to shop for a new mechanic.

Yes, I will need to find a new mechanic! My husband found one of the parts online for 180.00 and we were charged 392.00!!!!!!! Plus, they never called us to tell us what exactly was needed AND fixed stuff we hadn't asked for! So, the whopping bill came to 1400.00. The worst part is that this is a guy my husband is friendly with (not friends but on a first name basis). I've always had such great, trustworthy mechanics and now I need to find another one!

DizneyRox
07-17-2007, 09:56 AM
You should always ask for the parts that are replaced, and specify this BEFORE any work is done. I had to start doing this at the dealership I bought the car at because I suspected that work was not being performed.

The same mechanic confirmed that much of what the dealership said they were doing was actually not done.

So, they have not only lost a service customer, they (dealership) lost possible future car sales, and actually Nissan in general will not be getting any of my business.

Strmchsr
07-17-2007, 10:04 AM
His "profit" was labor, not a markup on the parts.

Having worked in the car business I can confirm this to be true of good mechanics. There is generally very little mark up on the parts from a reputable mechanic. There's some, but mechanics are in business to make money, not do free work. However, it's minimal most of the time. Now, there are plenty of not so honest ones (as you've already seen from some posts in this thread) that will gouge you for every penny they can. If you are uncertain, ask the mechanic specifically what parts will be used in your car repair, the charge for parts, and go to AutoZone or some place similar and check the parts out yourself. Or just google the part. You'll be able to see if you're being gouged or charged a fair price.

disneycouple2004
07-17-2007, 10:06 AM
I have been in the auto parts and repair industry for 25 years now..and i can tell you the amount the shop marks up the parts greatly varies from shop to shop...as others have said shop around..do some research on your own..find out what suggested retail is on the parts and do not pay over that..its not hard to find out just make some calls..and give a detailed descripiton of the parts and your vehicle..i give quotes all the time...heck just give me a call !!..i will do it for anyone anytime !!..especially my fellow disney intercotees !!:D

Strmchsr
07-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Plus, they never called us to tell us what exactly was needed AND fixed stuff we hadn't asked for!

Every mechanic is required to get written permission before performing any work. You should have signed off a sheet listing charges and work to be completed. If you did not and they claimed to have done work for which you did not give permission, I would suggest you go to small claims court. Don't allow them to get away with what is essentially robbery.

rnin02
07-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Definitely some mechanics/shops are better than others! We've been going to shop by us for a few years now, and they were always great, until recently...doing an oil change when we asked for an inspection, telling us the car failed inspection because of fog lights not working, then passing the car with the same broken fog lights...its very frustrating. Anyway, I honestly don't know the markup on parts, but my DH almost always buys the parts separately whereever he can find it cheapest and then takes the new part and car to the shop to get it fixed. That way we only pay the shop for labor. Most of the time he is able to find a decent deal on parts.

devo995493
07-22-2007, 09:14 PM
I am an adjuster for a large insurance company.

Part smark-up varies, and here are some general national standards:

OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer): Generally is not marked up, but shops usually do recieve some discount from the sellers 10-25% discount on retail price of parts.

Aftermarket/Reconditioned: Generally retail for less than OEM, but come with similar discounts to shops.

LKQ (Like Kind and Quality) aka Recycled/Used Parts: Are generally marked up 25% or more from the listed price of a part. ie. if you saw a part list for $100 it would cost the consumer at least $125.

However it is labor chaarges where a good repair facility can make the most money. If someplave tells you it will take 4 hours to fix, you can bet your bottom dollar that they are actually doing work for only 1-2 hours. This is a 50 - 100% mark-up on labor charges which vary all over the place, but generally are $35-$50/hr for body and paint repairs, and $60- $80/hr for mechanical repairs.

***Don't let yourself get ripped off. If you are not happy with the repair that is done, make the shop do it again (with-in reason their should be no additional charges to the consumer).