PDA

View Full Version : 2 ECV's in WDW??

beksy
07-16-2007, 03:30 PM
I am in desperate need of some expert opinions/advice! To make a long story short, I hurt my knee and it is a good possibility that the recovery will take MUCH longer than planned, going into our October trip. :( My Mom has to have an ECV and we have arranged for a rental for our entire stay so we would not have to worry about getting one each day or someone having to push her (mainly to give her more freedom). Anyway, now it looks like I will have to use an ECV in October, too. There are just the 3 of us going (mom, me, and sister). My sister is fine with it and willing to help out, but I didn't know how 2 ECV's would work in the parks. We're staying at CR. Is this doable or am I completely crazy for even considering it? :confused: We have almost always had a wheelchair (regular kind) in past trips in July with bigger crowds and the heat so we are a little familiar with it, but I could use some honest opinions! TIA! :mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
07-16-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure what you're asking, but if it's that there will be two ECV's in your party, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Many older couples make their way around WDW in matching ECV's. Getting on attractions won't be any different, but "bussing" might be an issue. The Disney busses usually only can accomodate two ECV's, so you might have to wait for the next bus, so that you can travel together.

October is not as crowded as the summer months, so that's a definate plus. Don't worry - it will be fine. I take mine with me on the plane, and see lots other's when we get there. You'll have a wonderful time !!!!!!!:)

mickey-mouse35
07-16-2007, 05:38 PM
When my parents went a few years ago (just the two of them), they rented the motorized vehicles at all the parks and had no problems getting around or seeing attractions/shows. They were staying at Shades of Green and had a car--not sure what they did at the resort/in tranport. But otherwise no problems at all.

beksy
07-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks so much for the positive replies! I thought it would be okay for 2 people in the same party to have ECV's but it's nice to hear other people's opinions (especially when it helps convince my mom, the least adventurous of us!:secret:). :mickey:

AuntDJ
07-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Beksy

We had two ecv's in March, neither of my parents use them in everyday life, but my mom was pending knee replacement and my dad has an artificial leg.

We stayed at POFQ, and had one ECV delivered to our hotel. We then rented one daily for my mom (as she was stubborn and didn't want to admit she needed one everyday). However, it did work out for us as Marilyn mentioned the busses can only handle two ECV's at a time, and that is a tight fit, so I don't think my mom would have like to have to back it in everytime.

but in hindsight, it is a super long walk from the busses/front of the park/hotel room, so if you think you need both ECV's delivered, I say go for it.

I have said many times, that I really feel that Disney does handicapped very well (if that is possible). Not one time did a CM make my family feel as if we putting them out for needing the EVC's

My big advice is: Have your sister go a few steps ahead of you, advise the CM you have ECV;s and they will show you where the correct enterance is for you, be it the normal one or a special one for ECV's. Also, she may need to "clear" the way for you if the crowds are really high.

Have fun!

DJ