PDA

View Full Version : Just Got Back From Philadelphia Part 2

NJGIRL
07-16-2007, 02:32 PM
CONTINUED....

The Duck Tour....This was alot of fun. They have them in all the major cities that are near a body of water. The vehicle rides on the land (does not make any stops but shows you) Independence Hall, Betsy Ross's House, The Old Christ Church, Congress Hall, Carpenters Hall, Liberty Bell (you get the picture) all while making very corny jokes. It was very entertaining and nice for the few places that are out of the way of most of the other sites (ex Betsy Ross's House). Then the same vehicle takes you to Penn's Landing and you go for a tour of the Delaware River. It takes about 70 mins and is well worth the time especailly if you have kids.

The National Constution Center.... A new museum with lots of interactive stuff. Really cool.

The Arch Dig Site....They are digging in the site that was the home to Washington and Adams while they were Presidents. You can see the stone walls that they have uncovered. They are finding alot of "kitchen wares" in the "Bathroom" area.

Franklin Square......A pretty Courtyard with a very nice fountain, carosel, and mini golf. The mini golf is really cool. The holes have mini historial sites like the Ben Franklin Bridge, Liberty Bell, Independence Hall etc.

We took the River Links Ferry to Camden to see the USSNJ Battleship......We took the self guided tour (it took us an hour). This is the biggest battleship we have ever seen. It is much bigger than the ships in Baltimore. It was very impressive.

Philadelphia Art Museum..... Love this museum. Too many worth while things to list. This is a must do in Philly.

The Franklin Instutite.....Same as above. This is a great place for kids and adults. You can easily spend the whole day here.

The Lights of Liberty Walking Tour. I've wanted to do this tour for 8 years now:blush:. I was so exciting. You take this tour after dark. They give you headsets and you have a tour guide in "colonial dress" carring a lantern.
You stop by all the historic sites in that square mile. While listening to how the Revoluntionary war unfolded and the outcome you see laser light images on the historic bulidings that correspond to what you are hearing on you headsets. The audio is in "a play" form so you hear Franklin, Washington and others talking. Get tickets in advance. They do sell out. This was definatley worth the wait.

There was more that we wanted to do but we ran out of time!!!

PirateLover
07-16-2007, 03:56 PM
I plan to FINALLY do the lights of liberty tour this summer- sounds amazing.

The main reason they are excavating Washington's old house is because of evidence of slave quarters. I believe they are going to build some sort of museum when the excavation is complete.

I'm glad you had a good time here. The Art Museum is definitely amazing. I need to go visit again soon.

NJGIRL
07-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Pirate....I don't think you will be disappointed in the Lights of Liberty. My son wanted to do it again that night! When you do go there is a gelatti shop right across the street. It was very good!:secret:

Kairi_7378
08-24-2007, 02:52 PM
You got a lot done in 2 days. I'm glad that you had such a great time!

2Epcot
08-31-2007, 12:24 AM
Your trip reminds me of my last NY trip, I fit a lot in too. Glad you had a good trip.