PDA

View Full Version : An extra child in Carousel of Progress?

jakeofwildwood
07-16-2007, 01:23 PM
I read on one of those "other" Disney sites and interesting question. On C.O.P. there is an extra daughter in one of the scenes standing behind mother. I watched the video on youtube and saw that yes, she is there.

Any ideas on what the back story is? A goof by Uncle Walt or something more interesting?

DessertDivaFL
07-16-2007, 02:30 PM
I can't believe I have never noticed this for as many times I have seen that attraction. I wonder if anyone else has more info. Are they suppose to have one daughter and one son?

pixiesmimi
07-16-2007, 02:32 PM
I noticed when we went in June that the daughter looked different in two different scenes but didn't notice there were two. I wondered then if they made a mistake and didn't notice it. In the last scene, even though it is supposed to be more or less the present, the characters are still wearing 80's or 90's clothing and hair instead of being updated to the present. LOL, my DD and I said we had way too much time on our hands if we were analyzing COP so closely. Most people don't notice things like this. We had seen it so many times that I caught myself looking at every detail and analyzing it this time.

TheRustyScupper
07-17-2007, 10:35 AM
1) It is a virtual child.
2) And she virtually disappeared.
3) One of the great mysteries of WDW

DawsonAR
07-17-2007, 11:50 AM
I can't wait now to revisit COP. I have never noticed this. Thanks!!

tealady
07-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Which other Disney site did you read this?

:confused:

Figgyluv03
07-17-2007, 12:07 PM
As many times that I have been on this, I have never once noticed it. Hmmmm. Wonder who it is...

malz288
07-17-2007, 12:16 PM
i always notice this and could never figure it out. i let my mind believe she is just some girl helping out with the wash, and leave it at that.

wdwfansince75
07-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Even the dogs in COP have names, but mother's little helper in scene 1 is never named.....Just stands there and provides the power for the washing machine.....

Disney's signature and comprehensive attention to detail would not allow an unintended participant....the child must have had an identity....at least to one of the developers, if not to the Disney family.

The possibility of a memorial to a lost sibling is my favorite "explanation"....but that is based only on conjecture....Just hard to believe that anything Disney created had no real explanation....or maybe it was a late addition when they discovered that the washing machine had no power! Hence, Diana-Mite, Mother's Little Helper! I'll call her that on my next trip, and see if she answers!

wdwfansince75
07-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Here is a link to an image from Deb Wills with the little girl.

http://allearsnet.com/tp/mk/cop7.jpg

I have search archives of several other websites, and can find no reference to a name or connection.

kakn7294
07-29-2007, 12:11 AM
Nobody ever seems to have an answer for who she is - they don't mention her by name and doesn't appear in any other scenes. Like previously mentioned, I heard that she was a memorial to a CM's child who died from influenza or small pox. I've wondered too if she was there because Walt himself had 2 daughters.