PDA

View Full Version : JUST GOT BACK FROM PHILADELPHIA Part 1

NJGIRL
07-16-2007, 12:04 PM
We just got back from a weekend trip to Philadelphia. There is so much to do there you need a whole week.

We stayed at the Omni Hotel in Independence Park on 4th and Chestnut. A perfect location and a four star hotel. It was just 2 short blocks from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. Plus it was only 4 blocks from Penns Landing.

Here is what we did our three days there:

Liberty Bell...free but get in line first thing in the morning. There is no wait then opposed to the hour wait we saw after 11:00

Independence Hall/ congress Hall Tour...These have free timed tickets which you must pick up the the neighboring "Visitors Center". My suggestion is don't wait until that day to get in line for tickets which may be sold out plus the fact the wait in line can be long. Call the National Parks Service and order tickets in advance. You will have to spend $1.50 per ticket to reserve them, but you get the time you want and even though you still have to pick them up at the visitors center you get to skip the long line of waiting people and get front of the line access to the will call booth. This saves alot of valuable time. The tours were very informative but fun at the same time.

Washington's Square...A nice little "park". It has a pretty fountain, lots of benches and is home to the "Unknown Soldier" from the Revolutionary War. Alot of British Soldiers are also buried there.

Franklin Court....Where Ben Franklin's House was. A steel frame now shows where his house was. A nice courrt yard to sit down and learn a Ben's Life.

Old Christ Church/ Cementary. One tour but two different locations. Beside Salem Mass this is the oldest cementary I have ever been in. Ben Franklin and 4 other signers of the Declartion of Independence are buried here. The tomb stones are so old alot of the writing can no be read anymore. A very interesting place to visit.

Kairi_7378
08-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Glad that you had fun in Philly!

2Epcot
08-31-2007, 12:22 AM
Sounds like a good trip. I've visited several states in the area, but I've never been to Philly, maybe one of these days I'll get there.

NJGIRL
08-31-2007, 09:56 AM
Glad that you had fun in Philly!

Thanks!

NJGIRL
08-31-2007, 10:05 AM
Sounds like a good trip. I've visited several states in the area, but I've never been to Philly, maybe one of these days I'll get there.

If you get a chance.... go. We live so close and go on day trips a couple of times a year,but staying for the weekend was a different experience.