PDA

View Full Version : Crane at the Castle ???

disneyfan328
07-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Ok, so I have read about the new "Christmas Overlay" at the castle. I must say that I am very disappointed to hear that they may have a crane up when we are there in September. Our 2 youngest have never been, and when DH, oldest dd and I were there 10 years ago the castle was a big pink cake. I have never seen Cinderella's castle in all its true glory and am upset that my DD - 7 who is a HUGE princess fan is going to have to deal with a crane. I have called Disney to ask about this and of course I got the "It will only be up and visible during the day if absoletley necessary" I am not buying it - So now for the truth - For anyone who has been there before when a crane has been in use - is it visible during the day and does it ruin the pictures? Are there any times when it hasn't been visible? We are going 9/22 - 9/30 which is right about when most of this is going to be starting. I can't chang the trip now, but with SE being closed, and now rumours of RNR being shut down and little mermaid being possible closed while we are there, I am getting a little depressed.
I would however rather be prepared than suprised. Has there been any other news on RNR or Little mermaid? I can't get Disney to confirm either. Oh and for my last little piece. I am sad that the wand came down. I only got to see it in pictures. I was hoping it would be up until we got there. Just my :twocents:

WDWfanatic742
07-16-2007, 09:36 AM
When they were putting up and taking down the HCOE decorations, the crane was hardly up during the day. So it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

JPL
07-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Actually at Mousefest the crane was up most of the day when they were removing the HCOE decorations. They lowered it around 4 PM so it wouldn't interfer with the fireworks or MVMCP.

Tinkerkel
07-16-2007, 10:19 AM
We were there in October when they were removing the HCOE decorations & we saw the crane mostly in the early mornings, by the afternoon, it was down. I was a little worried about it too, but I got some beautiful pictures. The worst part is the wall that they put up to "hide" the crane...it's not any taller that the other walls you see when something is being refurbished, but it's not very pretty either.

Momof2boys
07-16-2007, 10:35 AM
I remember the crane being in use at the castle but it wasn't out enough to be a big deal.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-16-2007, 10:42 AM
The crane was up when we were there last September. It was up each day when we were coming into the park so those pictures have it in the backround. By late afternoon it was back down and we could get some pics of the Castle.

The crane is going to be there again this year when we are there. I'm getting kind of sick of seeing it myself. Oh well, At least we are lucky enough to be there, crane in the way or not. ;)

Polynesian Dweller
07-16-2007, 01:09 PM
They have the crane up when they need to have it up. Some days its been up until early afternoon and on others only for an hour or two. It depends on what they are doing so its not particularly predictable.

Look at it this way, the decorations have to go up to make an event special and the crane is going to be there for somebody's trip.

Also, don't get depressed about rehabs. There is always something being rehabed and it only makes things better. I'd rather have rehabs than none.

TheRustyScupper
07-16-2007, 01:21 PM
1) The crane is usually erected very early AM.
2) It is then removed in the afternoon.
3) It is too dangerous to work overheard in the dark.

NOTE: The crane doesn't always come down. This depends upon the stage of the work and what needs to be done next. However, it comes down *most* of the time.

bibbidiboo3
07-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Does anyone know the dates that the crane will be around? We are going 9/15-9/22 and I'm wondering if it will be there during our trip.

bibbidiboo3
07-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Found it....Thanks!

6/25/07It has been internally announced that Cinderella Castle will be receiving a Christmas Overlay for the 2007 Holiday Season. The overlay is scheduled to be complete November 15th, 2007. The addition of the overlay will require the use of a crane near the Castle September 12th through November 14th, 2007. As usual, it is anticipated the use of the crane during normal operation hours will be minimal. While the details of the overlay itself were not announced, it is expected to mostly (if not entirely) consist of Christmas Lights.

Lizzie
07-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Okay I had a little panic when I started reading this thread. But it sounds like we won't have a crane at the beginning of September. We were there last October and every group picture we have with the castle has a crane we never seemed to hit it without one.

TheRustyScupper
07-16-2007, 03:13 PM
. . . every group picture we have with the castle has a crane we never seemed to hit it without one . . .

1) Yes, but.
2) Some folks think a crane is the state bird.
3) Others think it is our big mosquitos.

disneyfan328
07-16-2007, 10:33 PM
They have the crane up when they need to have it up. Some days its been up until early afternoon and on others only for an hour or two. It depends on what they are doing so its not particularly predictable.

Look at it this way, the decorations have to go up to make an event special and the crane is going to be there for somebody's trip.

Also, don't get depressed about rehabs. There is always something being rehabed and it only makes things better. I'd rather have rehabs than none.

I understand what you are saying, but just to clarify my point of view and not sound like a whiner, we have only been to Disney once, and I have no idea when or if we will make it back so to me this is a big deal. For people that get to go a lot it may not be more than an inconvienence, but to me, I may not ever get to go again so this is a HUGE vacation for us. I know that we picked a lousy time of year to go since its slow and that's when they do stuff but it was go then, or not at all. We are going and as I said we will make the most of it but I just want to be as prepared as possible so that I can prepare the kids ahead of time for what they will or won't be able to see or do.

Thanks for all of the input. It sounds like morning may not be the best time, but as long as I can get a few without the crane or at least have it be minimal in the picture in the evenings I will have to be happy with that. I know that Disney isn't going to rearrange their schedule just for me.

Bethis26fan
07-20-2007, 11:06 AM
The crane was up taking down stuff last year when we were there, but it was at the back of the castle and didn't mess up the pictures we took.

glenpreece
07-20-2007, 11:58 AM
I understand what you are saying, but just to clarify my point of view and not sound like a whiner, we have only been to Disney once, and I have no idea when or if we will make it back so to me this is a big deal. For people that get to go a lot it may not be more than an inconvienence, but to me, I may not ever get to go again so this is a HUGE vacation for us. I know that we picked a lousy time of year to go since its slow and that's when they do stuff but it was go then, or not at all. We are going and as I said we will make the most of it but I just want to be as prepared as possible so that I can prepare the kids ahead of time for what they will or won't be able to see or do.

Thanks for all of the input. It sounds like morning may not be the best time, but as long as I can get a few without the crane or at least have it be minimal in the picture in the evenings I will have to be happy with that. I know that Disney isn't going to rearrange their schedule just for me.

Like others I was made to hear about the crane again and like you I am annoyed. But as others have stated it goes down most of the time in the afternoon and if not it's an excuse to pop over to MK another day for some non crane pics. I am more peeved about the HM being closed thank god when we re get there it'll be open again.

TheRustyScupper
07-20-2007, 02:29 PM
1) Just keep moving around.
2) I am sure there is an angle where the crane doesn't show.

January-2007
07-20-2007, 04:14 PM
I have called Disney to ask about this and of course I got the "It will only be up and visible during the day if absoletley necessary" I am not buying it - So now for the truth - For anyone who has been there before when a crane has been in use - is it visible during the day and does it ruin the pictures?

We were in WDW for 4 days last October and all our pictures of the castle were with the crane, I just hated that. I wish I would have known there was going to be another crane up in September, I would have taken even more castle pictures during our last trip when there was no crane. I see from the other posts that they take it down later in the day? Still, I like the early morning shots best, less people and all that, so it's a total bummber since it's the last time we'll be there for at least a year.

MCFantasia
10-29-2007, 04:10 PM
The crane is now gone. It appears that all the (who knows how many thousand) lights have been installed on the castle. They aren't really noticable during the day... unless you're looking for them. I really can't wait to see what it looks like all lit up in a few weeks. :santa:

jpH/keD
10-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Are they going to have a ceremony each day to turn on the lights like the tree lighting ceremonies? Or are the lights going to just be on at some point for duration of the holidays?

"SULLEY "RULES!!
10-29-2007, 08:00 PM
My husband and I are going to MVMCP on Nov.12th hopefully we'll see the castle all lit up at the party!!!:santa3:

MCFantasia
10-29-2007, 08:50 PM
The "Castle Dream Lights" are listed as a feature of this years MVMCP. I'm guessing they'll just come on at dusk like other lights. :confused: I haven't really seen any info on these since the original press release.

"SULLEY "RULES!!
11-05-2007, 11:15 PM
COOL!!!!!!! Can't wait to see them!!!!!!!!:mickey: