PDA

View Full Version : Question Re: Arrival Timing

Jaythin
07-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Hello, well I just found out that our flight in was cancelled and we were switched to a later flight that arrives at 4:30. Our only real plan for the arrival day was to go to California Grill for a 7:00 reservation. I've heard estimates of around 1:30 to 2:00 hours for getting checked in at the hotel from arriving at the airport. I just wanted to check if this was pretty standard, or if this was an underestimate. We're staying at the All-Stars. We figure if there aren't any delays to speak of we should be fine, but were hoping to get anyone's opinion.

Also, does anyone know what the consequences would be of being a few minutes (15 or so) late? I know they charge $25 or so if you miss the reservation, how late would you have to be for this to kick in? Normally, I would try to change the reservation but it is during free dining so it's either this or cancel dinner altogether :(

Polynesian Dweller
07-15-2007, 10:50 PM
I'd be tempted to move the ADR to 7:30 or even 8:00. Your time frame is pretty tight. There are a lot of things that are hard to know how they'll work out for you.

First, getting out of the airport. If you aren't on Magic Express there is the wait for luggage. That all depends on how fast your luggage arrives at the carousel. We've seen 10 minutes and 30 minutes for luggage and sometimes longer if things aren't going right.

If you are renting a car about 15-20 minutes more can be required. So, it could take 30-45 minutes to get out of the airport.

Then the drive. Using the South exit it will take about 20-25 minutes to drive to the All Star resorts. Its about 22 miles. So now you are at about 50 minutes to 70 minutes to the hotel.

At the hotel, check-in depends on the length of lines but give at least 10-15 minutes. Then getting to your room is another 10-15 minutes. So if things are going well you have taken at least 90 minutes. But I would add 10 minutes for walking to cars etc. so really at least 1hr 40minutes now.

The driving time to California Grill is about 10 minutes. But give yourself 20 minutes with walking to cars and another 5 or so to take the elevator. So you are at 2hr 5 minutes. Given that you have to spend a little time in your room (freshening up shall we say) give yourself 30 minutes for that. So 2 hr 35 minutes. That's 7:05pm.

That's if everything goes right and the times can actually be met. I'd bet they can't, something always slows you down. So, you'd really have to motor to make your ADR.

Making it a bit more relaxed would make it more enjoyable thus my thought of changing it to later if you can :mickey:

Jaythin
07-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi thanks for the input, it does seem awfully close. I imagine it'd be better to be a couple minutes late than have to cancel the reservation completely, but I don't know how it affects other people to show up a bit late. I should mention we're totally reliant on disney transportation for this trip, so we will be using magical express and will probably take the bus to the contemporary.

Also, I'd love to switch the reservation, but there's no other times available :(

BronxTigger
07-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Your flight was canceled by the airline and they put you on this later flight? Is it possible for them to change you to an earlier flight? It was their change so they shouldn't charge you for it. With the free dining it's unlikely that people will cancel their ADR, but keep calling, especially around 45 days out from your trip...that's the payment deadline for packages and sometimes people do cancel.

JPL
07-15-2007, 11:40 PM
That is a little close. The only other thing you might be able to do is call day of the ADR and tell them you maybe a little late and see what they say.

Sunshine1010
07-16-2007, 01:42 AM
They can charge $25.00 if you are late or don't show up?

.......I must have been in a haze when the rule popped up.

Is this for ALL WDW places?

BronxTigger
07-16-2007, 08:30 AM
They can charge $25.00 if you are late or don't show up?

.......I must have been in a haze when the rule popped up.

Is this for ALL WDW places?

I think this is just for those signature dining places that require a credit card to book. Places such as Cinderella's Castle, California Grill, and Victoria & Albert's.

Shoebee99
07-16-2007, 10:16 AM
We may be in a similar situation. Is it possible for one person to check in and the rest to head to the restaurant if the timing is getting close? With menus being posted here the check-in person could give their order to the rest so they could order and not "hold things up" - Is this allowed? Would they hold the luggage for you until after dinner so you don't miss the reservation - That way you would not have to go to your room until later. Could you skip check in until after dinner or is it the earlier you check in the better the room?

Jaythin
07-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Hi thanks all for the help :) I thought about only one of us sticking around for check-in, but it says on the reservation confirmation at the bottom, all guests must be present at check-in for the dining plan to work? I'm not terribly sure what that means but I'm guessing that there really isn't a way around it. If we were driving our own car I figure we'd just go to dinner and check-in after, because we really have no preference as to what room we end up in, but again I would assume that magical express will only take you to your hotel and will make you check-in right then. Of course, I have no idea, having never been to Disneyworld myself :(

MsMin
07-16-2007, 10:03 PM
We may be in a similar situation. Is it possible for one person to check in and the rest to head to the restaurant if the timing is getting close? With menus being posted here the check-in person could give their order to the rest so they could order and not "hold things up" - Is this allowed? Would they hold the luggage for you until after dinner so you don't miss the reservation - That way you would not have to go to your room until later. Could you skip check in until after dinner or is it the earlier you check in the better the room?
I've seen several places refuse to let you check in (for dining)if your entire party or most of it was not present so don't bank on sending one person or partial party. I've had them ask me several times if everyone was present.
Last Dec. we had a situation where 30 min. before our reservation we lost my dad in EPCOT(he only turns on his cell phone for emergencies and he didn't realize he was AWOL;))
I went to guest services and explained the situation and they called the restaurant and notified them that we would be about 15 min. late. In fact, they treated us to a cab b/c they felt like Disney transportation would not get us from BWV to CR in 30 mins (my dad has very limited mobility).
My best guess would be to give it a shot if you can't get a later reservation if you have a serious delay then contact Guest Relations and ask how they can help by contacting the restaurant etc. I think you are giving yourself a fair amount of time considering the circumstances.
Don't bank on your suitcases being there @ check-in. Be prepared to go to dinner in your travel clothes. A taxi can get you there faster than a WDW bus and if taking the bus you would have to go to a park and transfer to the resort or take the monorail from the MK-- more time.....
Your dining plan is on your room key so yes you have to check in in order to initiate your package.

Polynesian Dweller
07-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Now that we know how you are travelling there are a couple of things to add to the previous notes.

You won't have to worry about baggage claim and rental car so that time is out but there will likely be a wait for the bus to leave the airport. The ME bus could stop at one or more resorts on the way to yours. So the time to the front desk is probably nearly equal.

Definitely look for a cab to take you to the Contemporary. There will be a transfer on the bus system. There is no direct service from All Stars to Contemporary.

I understand that luggage comes on a separate truck not the bus so your bags will almost certainly arrive later as indicated by another post.

But something you might try, is when you check-in, explain the situation to the CM who might come up with a solution and possible contact the restaurant to tell them you will be a little late.

Have a great trip, I'm sure it will work out. :mickey:

Pirate Granny
07-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Just a thought, but if your plan came in late, I would sweetly ask the CM at Magic Express (in the bus line, not the desk) if you could catch the bus to the Contemporary...you're luggage will still go to the All Star and you can check in at the All Star after your dinner...your room will still be waiting for you...

:pirate:

Pocahontas
07-17-2007, 11:54 AM
If your plane comes in late, I really don't think there would be any problem taking ME to a different resort than where your staying. You have a voucher for ME, your luggage is already tagged for the resort your staying, so why would they care which resort they take you to.

I found ME to be very quick, no more than a 5-10 minute wait. My guess is if your plane is on time, you could go check in at your resort and then take a cab to your ADR.

Either way, I really don't think you'll have a problem.

tinkerbell04
07-17-2007, 03:08 PM
If you are planning on using your dining credits for this meal, you will need to check in first, otherwise you won't have your dining credits first.

Jaythin
07-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Thank you all very much for the advice. I think what we will do is just try our best to get there on time the regular way. If the flight is delayed, etc. I'll just give them a call and hopefully it'll be ok. I'll plug the number into my cell phone :) Thanks again for all the info, it's a huge help for those of us who haven't been before.

LoriMistress
07-18-2007, 12:27 AM
I would try to push the ADR for at least 8pm, just in case if there's a delay on the flight or checking in may take too long.