PDA

View Full Version : Grocery Questions

Horizon93
07-15-2007, 12:25 PM
New DVC member here. We are taking our first trip home. :muscles: We will be at OKW.

We will be in a 1 br, where we would like to have some basic staples like cereal milk, bread, peanut butter, water, fruit and some basic supplies. We have ADRS for all of our dinners.

I know we can order thrupugh DVC or Garden Grocer. Both will deliver. Will they deliver if we are not in the room? Would we be better off on our first trip to just wing it and go to the general store? We don't need that much.

Thanks!

dephenn
07-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Not sure if this would work for you, but I've been told that you can send a package down to old key west with what you'll need and they will hold it for you and place it in your room when you check in.

Maleficent's Dad
07-15-2007, 04:52 PM
If you pre-order through DVC groceries, they will deliver it INTO your room if you're not there. They'll put refrigerated items into the refrigerator. It's a nice service, but very pricey if you order a lot. If memory serves, there's a $5 delivery fee.

Garden Grocer will deliver to resort - if you're not in your room, it goes to Bell Services. Bell Services will also refrigerate your order until you pick it up. They (GG) have a $12 delivery fee unless you order more than $200 worth of groceries.

You can purchase most of the basic items at the General Store - although selections are not vast by any means.

We haven't used GG yet. We have used DVC several times. We now pack dry items (cereal, pasta, etc.) in a bag for the trip down. That bag holds our souveniers and trinkets for the ride home! :mickey: We still always pick up some basics (milk, water, etc.) at an outside store (such as Publix) or in the General Store.

Good luck! :mickey:

wendy*darling
07-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Dad's right. :thumbsup:
I have used DVC several times and probably will again. Like you, we only needed basic things- not a huge shopping list. They have a very limited list of basics. I did not find their prices to be too far above my regular store at home. And the $5 delivery fee- which also meant they put the cold stuff IN my fridge for me- well, that was quite worth it!

I just used Garden Grocer for the first time last month. They were very easy to use. They are more like a regular supermarket, in that they have a large selection of brands and varieties. If you need a specific brand or flavor- they may be your best bet. You can pick your delivery time (usually a 2 hour window) if you want to be there to receive cold items. Bell Services will store your cold stuff in their big fridge though and you can pick everything up when you get back to the resort.

If you plan to buy a case of water bottles, I would go with Garden Grocer and not DVC or the general store. You pay the same price per bottle of Dasani water with DVC or the general store as you do in the parks! But if it's just PB, bread and milk- DVC or the general store will be fine.