PDA

View Full Version : Making a strangers day at WDW

pugslave
07-14-2007, 11:04 AM
My friend just got back from WDW, and told me that a guest offered her their unused Fast Passes, and that it really made her day! That got me thinking, What can we do to make another persons day? To me, making another person's day would be part of my magic at WDW!

Scott C
07-14-2007, 11:32 AM
I have given away FP also among other things. Bu I think that the most important thing is to keep on your smile and not do anything to ruin another persons day. If every guest were to do this WDW would be even more magical. It is hard to believe what effect a minor act such as cutting in line can do to everyones morale.

So lets keep it magical

Thanks
Scott C

LizLovesDiz
07-14-2007, 11:42 AM
I have met so many nice people at WDW.I have also met a few people who think that jumping in front of others and being pushy is the way to act.Thank goodness I haven't met too many of them,but there were a few.We are all there to get the most of our vacation,thats why we go to WDW :mickey: A courteous hello and a big smile does wonders for me !!!:dumbo::tigger:

irish1967
07-14-2007, 12:05 PM
I've stopped and helped out people who were looking at a map (trying to get to space mountain from splash mountain. They were very grateful.

adamsfam5
07-14-2007, 12:12 PM
On our last trip we went to MK our first night. As we were leaving (after Wishes) a young couple approached our DD7 and asked if she'd like their balloon. They were heading back to England the next day and wouldn't be able to take the balloon - it was a shiny Minnie balloon. Our DD was so thrilled. She didn't know what to think at first; it was a magical way to begin our trip! At the end of our trip the balloon was still floating in the air - like it was brand new. We left it in our room with a note asking the Mousekeeping if they could leave it for the next guests. I'm sure they probably couldn't, but we tried to pass along the magic.

biodtl
07-14-2007, 07:39 PM
I generally try to keep an eye out for folks looking like they want a photo taken and offer to do it. I know what it's like to always have photos with one person missing.

DisneyorBust
07-14-2007, 07:49 PM
I have given away Fastpasses that we were unable to use and have taken photos for others. (as folks have done for us)
As Scott C mentioned, if we keep smiling and help each other it makes the trip even more magical.
Heck, this may even work in the 'real' world!:D
During our last trip to WDW while waiting outside of RnRC, I saw a girl carying her little brother, I noticed that she dropped some Fastpasses. I picked them up and returned them to her. Well, unkown to me, a CM saw what I did and gave me Fastpasses for RnRC! I felt kind of embarrassed being rewarded for doing the right thing.:blush:

dolphinmickey9170
07-14-2007, 07:59 PM
We were in line waiting for a bus back to our resort when the two kids in front of us were very bored. We had purchased a couple dozen light up flashy necklaces and neon necklaces and we gave the two girls each a necklace. You would have thought we gave them a million bucks. I love to spread the magic. We also give them out to a child or two waiting for a night parade or show who are being very good and patiently waiting. Usually the parents are like, "whatever", but the kids are extremely happy. We love to spread a little magic to others. We have also given away our FP.

marlyn
07-14-2007, 08:07 PM
I have given fast passes to people and have had them given to me.

On my last trip in May I had a man come over and give my boys each a "Dreams Come True" pin lanyard that they had been given by the dream squad. They said they didn't need them and thought my boys would like them. It was very nice of them. :)

KAT1811
07-14-2007, 08:22 PM
We do the same with unused FPs and I also try to take pictures when I see a family with one member missing.

One year we had perfect strangers invite us to sit with them at CRT breakfast because the other half of their party wasn't going to make it for the ADR. We in turn paid for their breakfast.

I try to spread the magic at home as well. DDs and I were leaving the Crescent Park Carousel one afternoon and we still had tickets left (which we could have stayed for our next visit) but we gave them to a family that was just arriving hoping that they would have a little extra fun on us.

One afternoon my Mom and I were out to lunch with my DDs (we only had 2 at the time and one was a baby) we ate a Chelo's in the mall. Next to us sat the most adorable old couple I've ever seen in my life. They talked to us and especially the baby periodically. She was confined to a wheelchair and had trouble using her hands. He helped her eat her lunch feeding her when she seemed to be having a little too much trouble and wiping her mouth when she spilled a little. I was (ans still am just remembering) moved to tears. He took care of her with such tenderness and love I'll never forget them as long as I live. Well, I wanted to make a difference to them like they had to me, although they'll never know why, so I paid for their lunch. I asked the waitress for their check, added the gratuity, and asked the waitress to please not say anything to them until after I had left. I wanted nothing from them, not even a thank you, for they had touched my soul and that was enough.

There was a great movie called "Pass it on" that was based on people doing nice things for others and not asking anything in return only that they in turn "pass it on" by doing something nice for someone else. Think of how wonderful the world would be if everyone did this.

Lorraine444
07-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Soooo true that if everyone did 1 special thing a day we would be such a Happier World!:grouphug:
Thanks for the reminder, I'm leaving in 22 days and will ask my son & his friend to make note of this! I too will set a good example and join the kindness......

EvilQueen2006
07-14-2007, 10:27 PM
for some reason rides kept breaking down on us when we were there in january, so we ended up with a lot of those special fastpasses. We didn't use them by the end of out trip, so we left them in the bedside table in the hotel. I hope someone got to use them. I also like to think I am helping people out by keeping my girlfriend from losing her noodle whenever someone is rude, cuts in line, or is generally being an idiot.:D

Ms.Disney
07-14-2007, 10:53 PM
I have given fast passes away and had them given to me as well. DF and I were at Epcot and went to get fast passes for Test Track (which happens to be one of our favorit rides) well they were already gone for the day :( we went to go see how long the stand by line was....100 minutes :eyes::medic: just then a nice man came up to us and offerd us his FP that were go right then :party::cloud9: That really made our day! So thank you nice man where ever you are :hi:

snifflesmcg
07-14-2007, 11:01 PM
I think people in WDW are nicer than people in life in general (for the most part). Even I am a bit nicer as well. Everytime I saw some people holding a camera I always offered to take the pic for them. My BF tells the story that we couldn't walk 2 feet before I offered to take another photo. I've also offered my dessert to kids sitting next to us (with parents permission of course). I wish everybody could be more like this.

GhostHost999
07-15-2007, 03:06 AM
I remember one time my g/f and I were in line for the jungle cruise, and a woman in front of us had her hands full watching her kids, when the baby in her arms started fussing and crying. You could see that this was the last thing she needed, and so I reached into my shopping bag and pulled out a stuffed chipmunk (Dale I think) and gave it to her baby. Well instantly the baby was all smiles. The mom was very greatful and was all smiles too. That made for a good moment for me.

countrycharmer
07-15-2007, 08:10 AM
We try to help elderly, new parents, etc.

Also, whenever we see a couple or family taking a picture we ask the "photographer" if they want to get in it and we take the whole group's photo.

Also on the various holidays, i.e., Halloween, Christmas, Easter we have our kids each use a clear plastic envelope and fill it with stickers, etc., and while in line, walking around, etc., they can ask a parent first (with us with them) and offer another child something from their bag...this is nice when waiting in lines either for ride or meals or busses!

Fantasmic
07-15-2007, 09:29 AM
I have given Fast Passes to people, It makes me really happy to give them away!

I always try to act "like a cast member" and just be really polite and helpful to anyone who needs it! I suppose it's common courtesy

Stan
07-15-2007, 10:47 PM
I've done the "Would you like to be in your picture?" thing many many times- fun. Once in a while the answer is, "No- I'm not part of this group, I'm just taking their picture". :rotfl:

Since most of my park visits are short (1 to 4 hr) I'm often grabbing fastpasses on the way in that I end up giving away before I leave. That's fun too though sometimes I wonder if a single FP causes a couple or family a little trouble ("Which one of us gets to use this?"). I wish there was an easy way to give my $10 parking lot ticket to someone on their way into the park. :D

Since my DW is disabled and we've dealt with her scooter and (earlier) wheelchairs so many times, I'm sensitive to how hard they are to manuever safely. On a crowded Main Street USA it's kind of tough to stay off the rails and find your way to the ramps up and down the curbs (actually it's not easy when MSUSA is empty). So, when I'm in the parks alone I often try to "clear the way" for wheelchairs and scooters (yes, strollers too) especially when they seem stuck in a traffic jam... been there, done that. :(

Momof2boys
07-16-2007, 09:17 AM
I've given away numerous FP's to people as our plans have changed.

We've had our snacks paid for twice by a family trying to use up their snack credits on the dining plan.

pixiesmimi
07-16-2007, 12:08 PM
On our last trip, we had to miss our FP because of ADRs so I went down to get more FP for this ride and saw people standing in line to get some. I offered them the ones that I already had and they were thrilled. Made me feel really good. She in turn offered me the others that she had but there wasn't enough for our group so I declined but thanked her and she in turn offered them to someone else in line. Pass it on is always a good motto. Twice on this trip, someone offered DD a stoller that wasn't going to be used that day which kept her from having to pay to rent one. This was great and we couldn't believe it. We also have helped take photos and in turn they took one of us. You are right, I think being in the parks just makes people want to do for others. Because if you go elsewhere, you don't see this kindness most times. I think the rudiest people I have seen in the parks are visitors from other countries. Seems like in these countries, they don't know what politeness is and bring it with them, sorry to say. I think being exposed to the nice CMs kind of makes people think and decide to pass it on.:mickey:

gregburg
07-16-2007, 03:09 PM
Giving away extra FastPasses is a great thing. We've done this a bunch.

Most fun thing I've done is play with kids when I've done the DiveQuest program. It's a blast to play rock,paper,scissors with kids from inside the tank. Big smiles.

-Greg

dumbo ears
07-16-2007, 04:59 PM
I think giving away FP are good things also letting little kids go n fron of u in a line or something so they can get a better look. I have given and received FP and always happy to do both.

rt207
07-16-2007, 11:04 PM
I've also given FPs away, Fantasmic dinner package tickets, and taken pictures for strangers...:photo:

Jared
07-16-2007, 11:07 PM
I give directions to many confused guests. So many families labor over maps, trying desperately to find an attraction in the wrong place. I usually walk to those people and ask if I can help.

Giving away FASTPASSes is always appreciated, too.

markb
07-17-2007, 02:13 AM
I lost count in April how many photo's I took for other guests :mickey: We got 2 fast passes from a nice couple of young ladies outside ToT too. They were on their way out and didn't need them.

On our way of of Epcot one night a lady asked about the pedometer I was looking at to see how far we'd walked during the evening. We chatted for a while about how far we walk, and that it never feels like so far. In the end I gave her my pedometer. She was so pleased it made my day too :cloud9::thumbsup:

dizneeat
07-17-2007, 02:47 AM
There are a lot of little things one can do to spread the magic.
Here are a few of our favourites:
Give away FPs
Take photos of other visitors
Swap seats with families with kids if we are seated front row
Help with park directions
and we always carry a few pins from DLRP to give away for extra "brave" or good kids (old and young!). One time we were in line for ToT and the family in front of us was not sure their little girl would like it, but she dared. We were in the same car and the little girl was the only one enjoying the ride:D After we left they stopped to look at their picture and we asked if we were allowed to "award" their daughter! She was thrilled with the pin!

NJDad
07-17-2007, 06:35 AM
We've done the FP gifting, photo taking as well.

Another thing we've done is if we notice some first timers on the bus we give them a few quick hints on what to do at the park (FP, which rides to hit 1st). Sharing a little intercot knowledge. (DW usually throws something in like "My husband reads all about this stuff on the internet").

Dicecatt262
07-17-2007, 09:33 AM
I smile a lot, and say hi whenever I am in close quarters...elevator, walking closely, ect.

I always bring along packages of glow bracelets and necklaces, and at night at the parks I make them while we are walking around and the kids give them out to other kids. I do that on the bus or monorail on the way back to the hotel, too. Once after a Safari Celebration, the kids gave them out to most of the kids and to the guides as well, and in May I saw one of our guides and she remembered us, and told the kids she kept the bracelet!

I also give away unused fast passes, and if I ever get into a conversation with someone, I try to help them if they want it...tips, that kind of thing. I stayed with one couple and their kids at AK for about an hour, giving them suggestions for their vacation, and they loved it! I like meeting new people, I now feel like I have friends all over the country, and sometimes from other countries!

I also ALWAYS smile at each CM I see and say hi, from ride attendants to the people cleaning off trays at the counter service restaurants. They ALWAYS smile back!

pogo
07-17-2007, 09:51 AM
During our last trip we were given FP and we returned the favor a day or two later.:mickey:

I love talking to strangers and I'll often find someone who needs an Intercot tip or two.:thumbsup:

I also like to help out the elderly and the families. While on the bus from POFQ, I watched a young couple struggle with a big stroller and three little childeren. I grabbed the stroller from the father and said, you handle the kids, I'll handle the stroller. You could see the sense of relief on his face. We ran into them several times on the bus and each time I helped them. I recieve an email from them every now and again. :D

DessertDivaFL
07-17-2007, 10:15 AM
I find that a positive attitude, even when you are in a frustrating situation, is gold. When you hear other people around you complaining, say something positive because other people hearing the negative comments may get their negative attitude.

Smile a lot! That is contagious! :D

disneycouple2004
07-17-2007, 10:30 AM
:DWe try all the time to do something really nice while at Disney,or anytime for that matter..we love to take pins from our home state and give them away to the cm's around the world...we also enjoy giving extras to the good wait staff..this year we are taking a pocketfull of the new gold one dollar coins to pass out...i always offer my seat to anyone i see who needs its more than me, and also will give up my spot in line for any good reason..

boobalk
07-17-2007, 10:32 AM
during our "01 trip, we met an older couple who were there w/their grandkids. As they were flying home the next day, they offered us their portable stroller (we had young kids) so they wouldn't have to carry it obn the plane. they refused to let us pay them for it. So, to "pay it forward", we in turn offered it to another couple w/young kids, before we flew home. We explained how we aquired it, and were told that they would pass it on. Hopefully, the stroller was used by many others!:D

IloveDisney71
07-17-2007, 08:08 PM
I think once you enter Disney World you become part of the magic. We have given away unused FP's, let people with small children (at the end of a long day) skip us in line or have our seat on the bus, let children get in front of us so they can have a better view of the parades and/or fireworks. I get so much enjoyment from seeing the gratitude on the children's and parent's faces that it makes me want to do even more to spread the magic. When you're at the happiest place on earth, it's not hard to be a little kind!:mickey:

pixiesmimi
07-18-2007, 11:48 AM
I think just being aware of your surroundings and think about others is a big thing. There are so many adults that think nothing of stepping in front of children at the parade or fireworks and then they can't see, expecially if they are in a stroller. We should always remember that though WDW is for everyone, it is really magic for children and when adults are selfish and forget this, it is really hard to explain to children how they should think of others first. I used to not say anything to them even though I was steaming but now I tap them on the shoulder and point at the child and say, "Excuse me!" Sometimes I get "Oh, sorry!" and at other times they just look at you like you are an idiot.

TexasPrincessAurora
07-18-2007, 06:15 PM
On our trip in January we received Dream Fastpasses at AK. I think we each used one, but since I was pregnant and DS is just 3 1/2...and DH doesn't really do thrill rides, we had a lot of the tabs left on the passes. As we headed out of the parks we gave them away to a young couple probably on their honeymoon. They were thrilled.

DH received the set of Tinkerbell pins for you to keep one and give one away from the Dream Squad. We looked around for someone to give it to one day at EPCOT and saw a preteen girl with her Mom and Dad. She had a First Time visitor button on and had a new pin trading lanyard too...so DH gave it to her. She and her parents were so thrilled and touched and grateful. Turned out they were from Canada and they were just so excited to be there!

FiggyFan
07-18-2007, 08:06 PM
I've done several of the things others have talked about, and I have a new one. DW and DS were in front of me in a lane at the Indy Speedway, so I had a spirited "race" (and lost :blush:) to a young boy and his grandad in the next lane over. The smile on his face was priceless.

chefmickey3
07-18-2007, 08:27 PM
I had two fp for Dinosaur and took the time to find a couple entering. They were so grateful! The nicest thing anyone has done for me is buy a water for me at one of the carts. I was obviously very hot (June) and he saw my family waiting for me and the people ahead of us had a problem with their account. I had a water in hand and he told the CM to add it to his order so I could leave faster! It made my day.

chefmickey3
07-18-2007, 08:30 PM
[I also like to help out the elderly and the families. While on the bus from POFQ, I watched a young couple struggle with a big stroller and three little childeren. I grabbed the stroller from the father and said, you handle the kids, I'll handle the stroller. You could see the sense of relief on his face. We ran into them several times on the bus and each time I helped them. I recieve an email from them every now and again. :D[/QUOTE]

God bless you! As a mother of 3 under 5, we need more people in The World like you. Your kindness I am sure will never be forgotten!

LoriMistress
07-18-2007, 09:24 PM
DH and I have met several great strangers at the parks. One time DH and I were eating breakfast at Crystal Palace and we chatted with a nice family (a married couple with three kids of 5, 3, and 1 year old), and we would take pictures of the whole family with the characters because we figured that there will be rarely any pictures of the entire family together--since the parents will be taking pictures non stop of their kids. They were grateful for that. And they took DH and me pictures together.

Another time we met this nice family waiting in line at Mickey's Philarmagic, and we ran into each other again while waiting for the Dreams Come True Parade. We chatted with them, and they were big WDW fans, so they were telling their stories and experiences there. I wish I had gotten their emails or asked them if they belonged to any message boards. Oh well...

Pirate Granny
07-19-2007, 10:33 PM
When my dad was in a wheelchair, lots of people stopped and some asked me to step aside while they pushed his chair up the ramp (Living with the Land)...one man helped my dad into the restroom in EPCOT and then stayed until he finished (and it was 25 minutes)...After that trip, I try to get disney dollars for those kind and helpful people. I'll never forget the little girl's face who was with her dad (hero), who asked me to step aside to push my dad up the ramp...her face alone makes me smile in rememberance...and it's been three years...
THANK YOU ALL YOU WONDERFUL PEOPLE WHO MAKE SOMEONE'S TRIP A TRULY MEMORABLE TIME. and yes, I too try to pass it along...
:pirate:

DisneyDreams09
07-20-2007, 01:00 AM
:mickey:On ourlast and only trip we had bought a weeks worth of stroller vouchers our first day. On our 4th day, we realized we were going to have a couple extra. We were in line at AK to redeem the ticket, a far shorter line than the one to pay for them. (We only had one child, but got the double stroller to hold bags and anything else) There was a young couple with two children who were getting restless and they were way back in the line. I told them we had bought too many and gave them one of ours for a double stroller. They said they couldn't at first but I said that we wouldn't be able to use it, so they ended up taking it. It made me feel good to help somebody. I know your heart is just a muscle, but that general area seems to swell a bit when I give or receive a thoughtful gesture. :)

TikiGoddess
07-20-2007, 08:44 AM
This is the kind of thread I love to see. The Magic is alive and well in the World! It's so nice that not just the CMs are involved in spreading the magic.

I always try to give away pins to first-time traders. When I started pin trading I had people giving me pins and so I'm just passing it on to more people, especially kids, and telling them when they can maybe they could pass one on to someone else.

For our last trip I found something online called "Cast Member Appreciation cards". They are business card sized with pictures of Disney characters and a message basically saying, "Thanks for making our vacation magical". You can add your name, you hometown, and the date of your vacation. If you Google "tagrel" they have a wide assortment available to download and print for free.

TikiG

mrsgaribaldi
07-20-2007, 09:07 AM
I like to buy some of the light up toys and give them away. I like to enjoy them for a few minutes and then I look for kids to give them to. I once had DH try to give a child one without me and the parents looked at him like he was nuts:blush:

ldn324
07-20-2007, 03:24 PM
I think - and hope - that we helped make someone's day a little brighter at MGM last December.

We had received the YOAMD fast pass and had the pass for Voyage of the Little Mermaid remaining. While we probably would have enjoyed it, DH and and I are in our mid to late 30s with no kids and DH is a tattooed, biker guy. Not exactly the kind of people usually in the queue line for Mermaid :blush:.

We saw a mom, dad and little girl - about 10 years old standing looking at the line at Mermaid. You could tell the little girl wanted to ride, but the parents were hesitant. Maybe they had ADRs or somewhere else to be. We went up and asked if they would like the passes. The little girl's eyes lit up (so did mom's!) and even dad kept thanking us over and over again. Of course, we only had 2 passes so I'm not sure if mom or dad went with her, but at least that little girl got to go. Honestly, that was one of my favorite moments of the trip! It's totally true that doing something nice for someone else makes you feel even better sometimes than the person on the receiving end :thumbsup:.

I hope to get the chance to do something else like that soon!

grumpycajun
07-20-2007, 05:11 PM
We've also given our fast passes to a family as we were leaving the park. It got us big smiles for sure. Another thing I always do is to offer my seat to a lady when there is standing room only on the bus. I make sure DS does the same.