PDA

View Full Version : DW in mid-August... are we stupid?

GeorgeOfTheJungle
07-14-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm thinking of taking a 5-6 day trip to WDW in mid-August with my boyfriend, right before going back to college for my Senior year. Is the weather absolutely unbearable then, or will we be alright? I'm just concerned about long lines standing in the sun with the humidity. Also, I know that's hurricane season. Are we just asking for trouble if we go to the World then? I've never been to WDW in the heat of the summer, so I don't really know what to expect.

Thanks! :mickey:

BronxTigger
07-14-2007, 10:43 AM
If you're stupid for going at that time, then so am I....twice!

I went last year in mid-August and I'm doing it again this year. It was hot and crowded, but I still had a good time. The later in August you go, the less crowded it should be.

sgdisney
07-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Call me stupid too! As you can see from my trip dates below, mid August seems to be the time that works best for us to go. Right before school starts here, but the schools in the south are already back in and the parks are much less crowded. Yes it is hot, but not unbearble. We have never had really bad weather that time of the year and are heading back this year on August 16th!

GeorgeOfTheJungle
07-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks to the both of you! :mickey: You've made me feel a little better about all of this!

And it's good to know that it's a little less crowded around that time of the year, because then perhaps even if it is extremely hot, the lines will be a little longer so we won't just be standing in the heat all day in lines. :blush:

SBETigg
07-14-2007, 12:58 PM
I'm also going in August, and I would like to think I'm not stupid, thanks. :) With school schedules, it works out best and I really like the heat. We've been in August before and really didn't mind the crowds or weather. And honestly, it was more crowded on our last trip in October and we experienced our first and only hurricane at that time.

kakn7294
07-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Joining the ranks of the stupid August people! :thumbsup: We're going mid-August and can't wait despite the threats of large crowds, hot and humid temps, and hurricanes. We've gone in July and August before and although the best trip we ever had was in Sept '05, we didn't feel we should pull our DDs from school again this year.

dolphinmickey9170
07-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Another one here for the not stupid award. :blush: Oh, maybe I am guilty......we are going Aug 11th and can't wait. You and I and everyone else will be there because we don't want to mess up school schedules. Just take it slow, enjoy yourselves and for goodness sake.....stay hydrated.:mickey:

pixiesmimi
07-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Well, I guess I fall under the stupid also. We are going Aug. 26 - 31:blush: Although I know how hot it is in August because I live in LA (lower Alabama), I am hoping that it is letting up a little by then. We chose that time because of our anniversary and free dining or we would have waited until Oct. One thing I am taking is a Neck Buddy. These are the gel filled tubes made out of fabric that you soak in water until they plump up and then tie around your neck like a kerchief. It keeps you cool and you just rotate it when it starts warming up and it stays cool all day. I wore one in June when it was beginning to get very warm in MK and didn't have a problem staying cool. These are wonderful and if you can find a web site that sells them, they are worth the money. They are from Australia where they all wear them. Down here we all wear them and they are made in fashionable fabrics. My DH who is retired military and still works on a military base wears a camo one to work when it is very hot.:cloud9:

EvilQueen2006
07-14-2007, 10:32 PM
One thing I am taking is a Neck Buddy. These are the gel filled tubes made out of fabric that you soak in water until they plump up and then tie around your neck like a kerchief. It keeps you cool and you just rotate it when it starts warming up and it stays cool all day. I wore one in June when it was beginning to get very warm in MK and didn't have a problem staying cool. These are wonderful and if you can find a web site that sells them, they are worth the money.

I found some on ebay for $1 apeice, plus $2 shipping for up to ten of them.

psychotekkie
07-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Hey, I've gone around the 4th of July twice, and that is reeeeeallly hot and crowded. This year we are going in August and I know for sure it will be less crowded than what we are used to.

Go on the touringplans website and look at the crowd calendar. (can only see one month from the current date).

DisneyTopper
07-15-2007, 08:41 AM
We have been in August twice. Last year during free dining it was a bit more crowded than the time before. Trust me, we are not 'heat people' (from the snow belt in Ohio) and we manage. It is really not that bad. With the exception of waiting outside to see the 3pm parade, we really don't stand outside during the heat of the day for long periods.

Plan on taking a lunch mid-afternoon in the air conditioning. Also, many queues are inside, so it's not too bad.

We also bring portable fans and ponchos for mid-day rain.

You can always work around the heat. Don't worry and have a great time!

cindyrellinut
07-15-2007, 11:19 AM
We are going on August 7-15. As you can see below we mostly go in the summer months. Strangly, I tend to prep myself before I go for the heat. I am sitting in my house right now, no air conditioning, 85 degrees out and humid. We enjoy it every year despite the heat and crowds. I recommend the mid-afternoon pool break. It helps!

kaliepooh
07-15-2007, 11:46 AM
We are going in August as well and can't wait. Our last trip was in August as well. It was hot during that time but we managed and had a wonderful vacation! It was so great we are returning in August but a week later than we went the last time. Hopefully the crowds will not be as large. We found the hottest park to be Animal Kingdom and still spent a whole day there. We plan well and minimize our time in the sun. Indoor attractions are the best way to go. By the way we also watch the parade at Animal Kingdom after sitting in the FOTLK for a 30 minutes!!!

Enjoy your vacation!!!

goofygirl67
07-15-2007, 12:34 PM
I am on the stupid list also. I will be going in Aug for a weekend 17-19.
I was in WDW Aug 04 for the summer of hurricanes. I left WDW on my original departure date, and got back home a day before Francis hit, the second of 4 to hit our state. I saw waves(big ones) for the first time on the lake at EPCOT.

jax86
07-15-2007, 01:36 PM
we're planning on going next mid august for 2 weeks. we have always gone in nov. so i am also a bit apprehensive. all of you going this aug., be sure to report back!!! have fun!!;)

pixiesmimi
07-15-2007, 04:00 PM
EvilQueen2006, I'm glad you found some. I used to sell them in my store but have forgotten what they cost. We have a bunch here but have figured out how to make them ourselves. You can buy the gel pellets at a Home and Garden Store and make the fabric tubes yourself once you have seen one. Just don't put too many pellets in because they will expand a lot. Soak them in water until they are fully expanded and wring out the extra water and they are good to go for days. If they start deflating, just put back in water for a while. Golfers love them. We haven't reached temperatures in the 100's yet this year even though the 90's with humidity feels like 100's so maybe it will start going back down some in the latter part of August. I'm going to enjoy it anyway and plan to take a lot of cool breaks.:mickey:

LilHooligan74
07-15-2007, 06:14 PM
We are going August 12-19. Just look for the husky boy dragging his two girls behind him :blush:. I am not too worried about the heat because of already living on the Redneck Riviera where it is H-O-T in August. My only question is how are the crowds then compared to sprink break in March? Less crowded, more crowded?

Dedivah
07-16-2007, 02:28 PM
We are going the first week in August!

We are not worried about the heat so much as the crowds. We are from the caribbean and it is HOT all year-round! It is the waiting that I can't stand. But we are still lokimg forward to it. Last year we were there in July and will be back again in July 2009 for dd's 5th B-day.

irish1967
07-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Been there, done that, and would definitely choose to do it again. Our schedules have dictated that we go earlier (in June) the last few times but we often went in August in the past.

Plan on a mid-afternoon break and you should be fine.