PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Ride Makeover

OogieBoogieMan
07-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Since Disney owns ABC and then usually shuttles the family off the Disney during the renovation I figured I would steal the title.

At any rate, I wasn't thrilled with the change to Rio de Tiempo at Epcot but it got me to thinking, if I could give a ride a rehab, which one would it be? Being a long time fan with a lot of memories it is a tough one for me. I am still a bit upset about Mr. Toad but my kids love Winnie the Pooh, so I adjust. On the other hand I think the update to POTC gave it some new life and I like it.

Ultimately I have decided if Mr Iger calls and asks what should be next for rehab that I will cut the Imagineers loose on Tom Sawyer Island. We enjoy it but it just seems the space could be better utilized. Any other suggestions?

jszczur5
07-14-2007, 12:52 AM
I think Space Mountain is due for a rehab. I keep reading about all that was done on the west coast, and now am a little jealous. Some audio would be nice, and maybe a smoother track...
You need to be careful about rehab wishes though - HM (which desperately needs one) and SSE (except for the very end was really just fine, thank you very much) are both going to be closed during our yearly visit this fall.

LeFouX2
07-14-2007, 01:01 AM
I agree that Space Mountain is due a rehab. I rode that back in January and I thought that I was on the Mad Mouse at some parking lot carnival. It was such a fav. of mine when I rode it back in the 80s. With Disney's latest tech., I am sure that they can make it the best ride in MK.

By the way, I'm leaving in 48 hour to go back. Yipee!

jszczur5
07-14-2007, 01:27 AM
Note to LeFouX2:
I am so jealous. I have to wait another 47 days....
P.S. Time to rehab the following also:
1) Snow White's Scary Adventure - too scary for little ones, too boring for older kids, too similar to Winnie the Pooh & Peter Pan
2) Stitch's Great Escape - terrifying the first few minutes on your first visit only. Oh so lame thereafter
3) Journey into Narnia - don't get it
4) Rehab the Wonders of Life Pavilion and bring it back. It is such a waste of valuable real estate, and from what I remember of the exhibits back in the 90's, it was really great fun
5) Journey into Imagination - I know that this was recently rehabbed, but I thought it was so-so. My 10 year old loved it, and that's what it's all about.
6) Can't wait to see the new Circle Vision film in Canada at EPCOT. The old one was so sterotypical that it was laughable. I've never seen a red-coated mountie by the way, and we had April type weather this Christmas, so no, the whole country is not covered in snow all year long.
Have a great trip!:mickey::mickey::mickey:

dephenn
07-14-2007, 07:47 AM
I would like to see the Indy race way redone. My self propelled lawn mower is faster than the cars they have. I'm sure they could come up with something.

goon29
07-14-2007, 07:55 AM
I agree on the raceway. The tracks are kind of annoying, but if they must remain the least they can do is make the cars a bit faster. Get Lightning McQueen and Mater out there!

alilprincessmom
07-14-2007, 10:11 AM
I will pick one for each park.

For MK:
Stitch's Great Escape. To me this attraction is a waste of space. The burp part is disgusting and there is no thrill whatsoever other than the fact that your in the dark.

For Epcot:
Journey Into Your Imagination. This ride without Dreamfinder is simply boring. It's too short and the queue leaves a lot to be desired.

For MGM:
The Great Movie Ride. Its simply time to update this ride. They need to add some new movies and just give the ride the little "oomph" that it deserves.

For Animal Kingdom:
Chester and Hester's. This area just needs to go. To me it ruins the "feel" of AK, and I think the space could be much better utilized.

DisneyNut2005
07-14-2007, 10:14 AM
At any rate, I wasn't thrilled with the change to Rio de Tiempo at Epcot but it got me to thinking, if I could give a ride a rehab, which one would it be?

They did a great job with the Mexico ride upgrades.

Polynesian Dweller
07-14-2007, 03:22 PM
I'd say that Journey Into Your Imagination probably is the attraction most needing an upgrade. Funny since it had an upgrade didn't it. Very strange place to put the least Imaginative ride when it should have been the place that imagination could have run wild. That whole pavillion is now about the poorest attraction in Disney.

The second, is Great Movie Ride. Its not bad and classics need to be represented but the movies are an organic beast with new movies coming out all the time and the new classics also need to be represented. And the animation could be upgraded with the new technology.

dolphinmickey9170
07-14-2007, 03:25 PM
I would have to say the speedway as well. I hate standing in the hot sun just to get on some stinky car that goes 2 feet an hour and then get slammed in the rear by some teenager that doesn't care about the notice to be aware of and not bump the cars ahead of you.

EvilQueen2006
07-14-2007, 03:44 PM
I agree with some of the others about the Indy cars. I would like to see something more environmentally friendly in its place. Maybe a showcasing alternate ways of powering vehicles other than gasoline.

TuscanRaider
07-14-2007, 03:51 PM
While I do want Dreamfinder back, I am ok with the current Journey into Imagination ride. I am really glad that figment is in it. I would like them to bring it back to its original form.

I also think Space Mountain is fine, at least the last time I was there it was fine I think.

I doubt anything is gonna happen to Stitch anytime soon since it is still basically a new ride. I would like something else to go there. I never did experience Alien Encounter and am sad that it's gone.

I also enjoy the current tiki room. Ewago (spelling?) is great in it and Zazu is also a great foil for Ewago showing off the differences ewago and zazu have.

Here are some rehabs that I think should happen:

For Magic Kingdom:

1) Tom Sawyer Island.
It just needs some change. Im not saying it should have Disney characters here and there but maybe add to it.

2) Aladdins Magic Carpets
This one just needs to go! There are two others just like it, Astro Orbiter and Dumbo. Those two fit great where they are and Aladdin is just taking up space

For Epcot:

1) Mission: Space
This ride is fun if you make it fun. "Hurry Captain, we are going down!" Otherwise I say bring back Horizons or a ride like it.

For MGM:

1) Backlot Tour
There isn't enough to make it a must ride. One time I went last year they didn't even do the preshow stuff :(

2) Do something to incorporate the newer classic movies to The Great Movie Ride. And no that doesn't just mean to add some video to the final movie >>Pirates<<

For Animal Kingdom:

1) Chester's and Hester's
Take this area out! It just seems out of place even though I have heard somethings about the story behind it.

2) Kali River Rapids
Compared to Popeye's in Universal Islands of Adventure this ride is too short.

psychotekkie
07-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Take Iago out of the tiki room (I didn't even like him in the Aladdin films. Not sure why).

Fix up the animatronics in Jungle cruise and maybe add a little something new.

Add something to Tom Sawyer's Island.

Country Bear Jamboree... nuf said.

DisneyLuver91
07-15-2007, 02:01 AM
I'd love to see them do something more interesting with the Stitch attraction. Its funny, but when I went it was just my mom, sister, and I in it. Kinda sad. :(

I would also be really happy if they spiffed up Wonders of Life. It was my favorite pavillion as a kid and miss it dearly. The excercise machines were much too big for me then and now they are all closed off! Finally, as soon as I'm big enough, they stop. My luck stinks.

GhostHost999
07-15-2007, 03:26 AM
Ride Rehabs are always a tricky business...sometimes they work...(pirates)...sometimes they are a recipe for disaster (Journey into Imagination). That being said, here's a few ideas I have.

1) Tomorrowland Speedway - This was one of my faves as a kid, but it is starting to show it's age a bit.

2) Stitch - Personally I thought the Alien Encounter was a very good attraction. And yes I know people say it was too scary for kids, but last I looked that was what all those warning signs were for. If you bring a kid in there after reading the sign, that can hardly be the ride's fault.

3) Wonders of Life - This pavilion could start pulling duty as a storage unit. Shame too, cuz it was a good exhibit, but we gotta get something in there.

4) Jungle Cruise- The ride itself is fine but the animatronics need some updating.