PDA

View Full Version : June-July: Reflections, Memories, & Feelings

Maleficent's Dad
07-13-2007, 10:16 PM
We are now returning to the East Coast (ah, life beckons, work does call...) and I thought I'd give some overall opinions on Disneyland.

Some background: My family is definitely used to WDW and Florida. My kids have been there more than 20 times (DS is only 8 years old), so no matter what I say, the comparison will always be made.

We love Disneyland!
We love the differences of Florida and California.
Personally, I try to not compare the two resorts, but admittedly, it's almost impossible for both myself and my family.

What we do love:
1. You don't have to stay on property to get the most out of DL - as opposed to FL.
2. If you do stay on property, it is very magical. We've only stayed at the GC and the DLH, and both were wonderful!
3. The proximity of the parks and DTD. Everything is so very close that walking is not only an option, it's the main mode of transportation!
4. We've explored and found some great food selections this year. We've become increasingly happy with the restaurants at DLR; after last year, we didn't appreciate their offerings!

Okay, so here's a brief synopsis of our stay(s). We stayed in Anaheim twice (once at Embassy Suites, once at the DLH). Staying at the DLH is much better! But Emabassy Suites was NOT a problem at all as they offered a great shuttle (for $3 daily pp).

In DL Park, we thoroughly enjoyed HM, Pirates, Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, and the many rides that are not available in WDW (such as Mr. Toad & Pinocchio - to mention just two). Wrote a review on Nemo in the Theme Parks Forum - very glad to ride Nemo as those lines are INSANE these days (hopefully short lived!) The atmosphere and Main Street, USA in DL Park are second to none! Wouldn't trade that for the world. Loved seeing the "light on" in Walt's apartment - DW and I explained that whole idea to our kids. They were amazed and stared at the light - looked for it each day we entered the park.

The simple fact that Main Street, USA isn't filled with tee-shirt shops speaks volumes. In DL, they actually still have an aracade, a bakery, a movie theater, an ice cream parlor and so much more. It is such a nicer atmosphere than that in FL.

As far as dining is concerned, we enjoyed the "Mexican dining" adjacent to BTMRR (Rancho del Zocalo), but the park didn't offer too much else outside of CS - and most of that wasn't too good. My biggest complaint is DL's dining. Disneyland Park has very few "quality" dining options. What restaurants they do have offer very few "healthy choices," especially for kids.

We did love the park, but didn't like the dining.

DCA, on the other hand, had some very good dining! We had two wonderful experiences in Wine Country Trattoria. The area of "Pacific Wharf" offered some great CS - with numerous options for kids and adults alike. In this area, we were very pleased.

Here's the MAIN DIFFERENCE between WDW and DLR:

It's 12 noon on July 4th. I can only assume how busy WDW in FL is today.
We spend the day at DCA. Wow! No waits - and I mean NO waits! At 11:30 AM, DW and I go to TOT. There is, quite literally, NO wait to get on the ride. We walk through the queue and get into the library with a ZERO MINUTE wait. Then we head over to Soarin' Over California. There is a 20 minute wait (oh, the hardship! :high5:). Finally, later that day we decide to go to the last showing of Aladdin - and there is not much of a line. We're there 15 minutes before showtime and still get orchestra seats! Awesome! :woohoo:
DCA is just not a crowded park!
DS and I, then DW and DS all rode California Screaming & Maliboomer with less than 15 minute waits.
Try that in Florida!

Okay, so comparisons are over. It's soooo tough to not compare, sorry! :blush:

We enjoyed Goofy's Kitchen (3 times) and Storyteller's (twice) this trip. We had done them both before and had experience success, so a revisit was on par. Neither disappointed! DTD - we enjoyed one lunch at the Jazz Kitchen (although service was lacking) - incredible Bananas Foster. The Cove Bar in CA was a nice discovery, and very well understated and under-advertised. Best view in DCA, great atmosphere, and great drinks with appetizers! :cheers: :tasty: For those looking, it's the top floor of Arial's dining on the Boardwalk heading towards California Screaming.

There's also a GREAT photo op for those with a Disney Visa - prior to 11, in Ariel's Grotto. You show your Visa Card, go downstairs, and get a FREE 4x6 of you and characters (we had Chip & Dale three days). It is NOT crowded.

We also got strollers for DD (6) daily. She was psyched as in FL, we make her walk!!! :walk: These were FREE with the Disney Visa. Unlike last year, stroller rentals were inside the park.

We very much enjoyed the DLH.
The Neverland Pool isn't overly friendly to kids as that it's 4 feet deep in the most shallow areas. DD (6) is an excellent swimmer, but only 46 inches tall. She was exhausted after 15 minutes in the pool as she couldn't stand. I sure wish they'd change this and revamp the pool to make some areas that kids could stand in. We didn't really like the other pool with shallow areas - removed and not themed. DS (tall and an excellent swimmer) loved the Neverland Pool.

We had a standard room in the Mariner Building (Marina?). We had a GREAT view of the fireworks for July 4th at the MK. Couldn't have been better! Decent enough room, good location, great resort, no complaints. :mickey:

We made a few day trips over to DL. It's just not the same when you're not staying there!!!

We're now back on the East Coast (work and life beckons...). We had a wonderful time out west with the beaches and DLR. Soon enough we'll be back. Our AP's expire in two weeks, and we won't be renewing soon as we (as a family) won't be out West until next summer. :mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
07-15-2007, 10:58 AM
I am leaving for my second big trip to the Disneyland Resort in less than two weeks and your report has me just aching to get on that plane and go. I love WDW, but I also fell in love with the charm of Disneyland. The two resorts offer such different experiences. I don't like to compare either, but of course it is only natural to do so. I am glad that your family enjoyed their time there this year. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. :mickey:

tinkwest
07-16-2007, 08:03 PM
The Cove Bar in CA was a nice discovery, and very well understated and under-advertised. Best view in DCA, great atmosphere, and great drinks with appetizers! :cheers: :tasty:

One of our favorite "rides" at DCA. A very relaxing and yummy stop in the middle of the day.

Thanks for your report. I'm glad your family had such a great time!

Lizzie
07-19-2007, 01:50 AM
Thanks for your report. All our recent trips have been to DW, but it was at Disneyland that my love for Disney began so it will always be my sentimental favorite.

Jeff
07-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks for your report. I've just got to get back to Disneyland someday.