PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Pros

DawsonAR
07-13-2007, 07:48 PM
My DH has noticed a helicopter that flys over EPCOT at least two times a day always taking the same route. Does anyone know if this is a tour or something else? Just curious! Thanks

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Maybe it's a traffic copter.

jkj1224
07-13-2007, 11:27 PM
There are a couple of helicopter tour companies in the air that frequently fly over, one is one International Dr. right next to where race rock was, and the other is on I-92 somewhere.

DawsonAR
07-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks we have always wondered.

Red Randal
07-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Hold on a sec! I'm fairly certain that all air traffic is banned over Walt Disney World with the exception of police/security and probably traffic.

A traffic chopper would really have no reason to fly over the Epcot area unless there was an accident, so it would not always take the same route.

I'm guessing that it is probably flying over for security purposes.

MsMin
07-14-2007, 11:27 AM
I thought it was a no fly zone too though I have seen ppl sneaking a banner near by a couple times. If it's on the perimeter it could be commercial but directly over and routinely must be some security or internal observations.

DawsonAR
07-14-2007, 12:10 PM
We were not going much prior to 9/11. I would love to know if this was started after that for security purposes. We haven't really noticed it over the other parks, just EPCOT.

SBETigg
07-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Sometimes Disney executives are there and use helicopters over the parks, or so I have heard. On our last trip, a helicopter paused over the Polynesian beach to watch Hallowishes, and it completely destroyed our experience with the noise and copter hovering. We were told it was a visiting executive and it just made us really annoyed that he would sacrifice the guests experience for his own special view, but it wasn't our first time on the beach so we let it go and enjoyed our vacation.

TexasPrincessAurora
07-14-2007, 05:51 PM
When we were at EPCOT the first week of June there was a skywriting plane flying over. Thought that was quite unusual.

Also, the same week while playing mini golf at Fantasia Gardens 5 helicopters flew over within 10 minutes of us getting there, all going the same direction...and then about 30 minutes later all flew back one after the other from the direction they originally came.

DawsonAR
07-14-2007, 07:41 PM
We saw the skywriting plane in October too. It spelled Jesus loves you. It was cool to watch.

EvilQueen2006
07-14-2007, 07:54 PM
I saw a skywriting plane over Animal Kingdom in January. It was also spelling out some christian message. I was irritated that this was allowed.

MrPeetrie
07-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Hold on a sec! I'm fairly certain that all air traffic is banned over Walt Disney World with the exception of police/security and probably traffic.

I have to agree with Red Randal here. "Tall Paul," our tour guide, informed us several years ago that air traffic over WDW is prohibited!

Polynesian Dweller
07-14-2007, 11:10 PM
I have to agree with Red Randal here. "Tall Paul," our tour guide, informed us several years ago that air traffic over WDW is prohibited!

I was told that too a few years ago, but I have since sat on my balcony at the Poly and seen several aircraft go over. I too have wondered who they might be. What has stopped are the planes that carried advertising banners.:mickey:

TheRustyScupper
07-15-2007, 01:53 AM
. . . Sometimes Disney executives are there and use helicopters over the parks, or so I have heard . . . it just made us really annoyed that he would sacrifice the guests experience for his own special view . . .

There is more to the story than on the surface:

1) As for rumors of special privileges
2) Company people and others do things all the time.
. . . vice-presidents and above
. . . certain WDW or Disney business people
. . . folks delegated by vp's or others
3) It is even written in the policy manual who has special rights.
4) The general public just isn't aware of their perks.
5) For their friends, family and business associates
. . . they can bump restaurant ADR's
. . . they can simply add names to sold out restaurants
. . . they can bump confirmed hotel ressies
. . . they can get people front-of-the-line entry
. . . they can give/get other special treatments
. . . they can override all sorts of arrangements of regular guests

6) As for the helicopters
. . . there is a no-fly-zone rule for WDW
. . . aircraft must maintain at least 3,000 feet overhead
. . . or they must be 3.3 miles away
7) There are exceptions to the no-fly-zone
. . . military or rescue aircraft
. . . some banner and tourist aircraft have waivers
. . . copters going to/from Orlando Airport
. . . with a flight plan and while communicating with FAA

NOTE: Disney lobbyists got Senators Shelby and Stevens to enter a 65-word sentence into a 3,000 page spending bill for $397.4 billion to authorize the no-fly-zone. The bill passed on 2/13/2003. It was later found out that the lobbyists gave them $12,000 in contributions. Some believe it was done more to prevent advertising than for security.

DisneyLuver91
07-15-2007, 02:09 AM
[QUOTE=TexasPrincessAurora;1355014]When we were at EPCOT the first week of June there was a skywriting plane flying over. Thought that was quite unusual.

I was there last August and a skywriter wrote "Jesus Loves You" in the sky. My sister, mom, and I were quite amused as were the other passengers on our boat.

Stu29573
07-15-2007, 04:05 PM
I wonder how they enforce the no-fly zone....Surface to air missiles?:secret: