PDA

View Full Version : What are "Must Dos" in Key West

caryrae
07-13-2007, 06:20 PM
We are going to Key West next april and were wondering what are some must dos while we are there?

We have been there before but only for one day. We did the Conch Train, walked Duval Street, and stayed for the Sunset Celebration.

This time we will be there for 4 days. We will do the 3 things listed for sure plus we want to do the Dry Tortugas tour. What else should we do?

Will also be driving from Key West to Fort Myers for 4 days. We want to see the rest of the keys and see the Everglades National Park. So we will be driving along the South West coast kinda. So if there are some fun places to visit along that route please let me know.

Maleficent's Dad
07-13-2007, 08:42 PM
We've only flown in and out of Key West, so I can't help you on the other things.

Some highlights for us:
1. Hemmingway house (check for the penny)
2. Key West Lighthouse (make sure you get to the top, it costs but the view is worth it)
3. Hog's Breath Saloon - IMHO the best of the bars on Duval - lots of character here and live music to boot. There are some other great bars with character (including the oldest in Key West), but this was our favorite.
4. We enjoyed Kelly McGillis's place (off the beaten path) for both food and drink. She even makes appearances often and will talk to guests.
5. We did a snorkel cruise on a large Catamaran - pricey but fun. Snorkel and Rum Punch... but isn't this what Key West is about? :diver: :snorkel: :cheers:

MsMin
07-14-2007, 11:16 AM
I haven't been there in years but you have to go to the southern most point. I enjoyed Hemingway's house. I'm sure his cat Princess six toes is long gone but maybe her decedents are there. Shopping is a must. I used to love to get Kino sandals and go to the Key West perfume factory. I remember riding a little train around town too.
Don't forget to sample some conch when you are there. The conch chowder is great, or conch fritters, sample some great Cuban foods.
Do you dive? Pennekamp is on Key Largo and has glass bottom boats etc. It was America's first underwater National park. It's one of the upper Keys.
I used to stay on Marathon and there was great food and shopping there.
If you are going to Fort Meyers are you going to Sanibel and Captiva? Sanibel is known for it's shells on the beach. It's right off Fort Meyers. I say a must do! Just across a brief causeway and several public beaches and parking. Great grouper at the shopping center near the lighthouse on the Eastern end of Sanibel.

DisneyRN
07-14-2007, 10:56 PM
I went with friends to Key West last June. Of all the things we did, my favorite was the Haunted walking tour at night that leaves from the La Concha Hotel. It was totally worth the money. :thumbsup: I also enjoyed just riding around the island on bikes. :bike:

I would do the museum that has all the shipwreck stuff if I had had more time. :sail:

We took a high speed ferry from Ft. Myers to Key West and back. It took about 2 1/2 hrs to get there. I think it was called the Key West Express. Very neat to be on. :boat:

caryrae
07-15-2007, 09:52 AM
We are very excited to go this time since we have 4 days in Key West to do alot more. Plus we are staying at the Duval House which is right on Duval Street and sounds like from there we can walk to almost everything.

I haven't been there in years but you have to go to the southern most point. I enjoyed Hemingway's house. I'm sure his cat Princess six toes is long gone but maybe her decedents are there. Shopping is a must. I used to love to get Kino sandals and go to the Key West perfume factory. I remember riding a little train around town too.
Don't forget to sample some conch when you are there. The conch chowder is great, or conch fritters, sample some great Cuban foods.
Do you dive? Pennekamp is on Key Largo and has glass bottom boats etc. It was America's first underwater National park. It's one of the upper Keys.
I used to stay on Marathon and there was great food and shopping there.
If you are going to Fort Meyers are you going to Sanibel and Captiva? Sanibel is known for it's shells on the beach. It's right off Fort Meyers. I say a must do! Just across a brief causeway and several public beaches and parking. Great grouper at the shopping center near the lighthouse on the Eastern end of Sanibel.

When we stayed before we stayed at the Lime Tree Bay Resort, I think it was not far from Marathon Key. We did also go to Pennekamp and did a snorkeling tour but couldn't see the underwater statue cause it was to dangerous at that spot that day. I don't think we did the Hemmingway House but we did do the tour of Harry Truman house, was kinda cool.

I have never tried conch before and am willing to try. Does it taste like fish or not really? Is there a good place to try a sampling of it or is almost anywhere good?

I went with friends to Key West last June. Of all the things we did, my favorite was the Haunted walking tour at night that leaves from the La Concha Hotel. It was totally worth the money. :thumbsup: I also enjoyed just riding around the island on bikes. :bike:

I would do the museum that has all the shipwreck stuff if I had had more time. :sail:

We took a high speed ferry from Ft. Myers to Key West and back. It took about 2 1/2 hrs to get there. I think it was called the Key West Express. Very neat to be on. :boat:

I think we did the shipwreck museum, if it is the one with the funny little play at the beginning and then you go through the museum part and then climb up a tower on top of the building where people way back would yell "wreck ashore" when there was a ship wreck.

I just read about the Key West express which sounds pretty cool too. To bad we bought our airline tickets already to fly to the Key West airport