PDA

View Full Version : A couple questios

mickeyfan2001
07-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Hi everyone. I just have a couple of questions.. My sister has requsted a trip to Disney for her 36th Birthday. We want to get a family suite at All Star Music in July 2009. Can anyone tell me how far in advance I can reserve a room. My sister suffers from Progressive Muscler Atrophy a form of muscle disease. She wants to to go down for her birthday because she just dosen't know how much longer her legs will allow her to get around. She mainly uses a walker but will need to take her scooter while there for that will just be to much walking for her. So any disability information will be greatly welcomed. Thanks to all in advance.

Strmchsr
07-13-2007, 02:17 PM
You can generally book room only 400 something days in advance. Packages can't be booked until rates for that year are released, which probably means late July to early August next year for 2009 rates. You might check with Magical Journeys for specific info.

Click here (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/Plain?id=PlainHomePage) for Disney's FAQ on guests with disabilities. Should answer all of your questions.

Click here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/specialneeds/default.asp) for Intercot's info on renting wheelchairs and ECVs plus accessibility.

AuntDJ
07-13-2007, 02:29 PM
My advise is use the scooter EVERYWHERE!

We went in March and had a scooter for my dad. He doesn't use one in his everyday life, but for the amount of walking I instisted..it was perfect. He was able to keep up and not be exhausted by the end of the day.

Be aware: There are people who will give you the evil looks because your sister is young and in a scooter...do NOT pay attention to them, if it makes your vacation better, that is what matters.....you will especially get these looks as you are loading on the bus system at the end of the day.

Also, as you approach a ride, tell the CM you have a scooter, they will either direct you to the wheelchair entrance or advise that the queue is big enough for the scooter to go thru the regular line. I just found it easier if I walked a few feet ahead to ask the CM instead of having my dad navigate the crowd to the beginning of the line, if we were going to be directed elsewhere.

Even if your sister is comfortable on the walker, USE THE SCOOTER, I really cannot stress this enough...there is no reason for her to wear herself out

Most of all HAVE FUN!

DJ

mickeyfan2001
07-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks DJ, I will make sure she takes the scooter. There are times when her legs will just give out from under her and cause her to fall. She dosen't have the strength to get up if she falls. She would have to crawl to the nearest thing low enough to brace on to pull herself up. Its sad to watch but she dosen't want anyone to help her. I love how emotionally strong she is. She dosen't let the PMA get her down. I'm very proud of her.. Thanks again for the advice.

AuntDJ
07-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Just thought of one other thing....you might consider taking the walker into the parks as well. There are a lot of rides that your sister will have to transfer from the scooter to the ride vehicle....The moving belt rides Haunted Mansion,Buzz Lightyear,SSE, Peter Pan) will stop the moving belt completely if needed, but you will have to tell them. They will ask if your sister can transfer; if she can that is wonderful, but if not, just let them know.

Personally, I feel that Disney does handicapped exceptionally well! My family never felt discouraged by having a scooter.

You didn't mention when you are going. We were in there in March and while not considered the "busy" time; it was quite crowded, a couple of times, my brother had to literally walk in front of my dad to clear the way. Patrons of DW are used to seeing scooters and most DO NOT move out of the way. By all means, I am not saying your sister needs to run over people, but she will need to be assertive to stay up with the group (if it is crowded). We have also been in February when it was not crowded and never had issues with Dad keeping up.

I know you said you would make sure she had the scooter, but if you need an argument for you sister, tell her the distance between the busses and the hotel room and park entrances is VERY far. My mom, while not handicapped, had a bad knee and sometimes that walk almost more than she could handle without a break...

Okay, I think that covers what I know...

DJ

wdw_bound
07-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Our daughter has mobility issues due to CP. Your best bet is to make your reservation directly through Disney. When you call to make the reservation, explain to the cast member that your sister has a disability. They will flag your reservation and send it to the special needs office. I can't say enough good things about the great staff at CRO. We made a reservation through a travel agency once (a local agency, NOT the Intercot sponsor), and got a room that was very far away from everything, but since we didn't know this until check-in, there wasn't much we could do about it. Since then, we make our reservations directly.

Also, by calling directly, the CM can give you other needed information, such as scooter rental numbers.

When you get closer to your trip, be sure to post here - there are lots of folks on Intercot who have experience with special needs travel who will be happy to help!

mickeyfan2001
07-16-2007, 03:25 AM
Thanks DJ and wdw_bound ya'll have helped alot. DJ thanks for telling me about the moving belts, I didn't know they would stop them. We will be going in July. Unforunatly that is the only month we will all be able to get together. My sister and Brother in-law live in Michigan.
wdw_bound thanks for the advice for making reservations, I will make sure to mention my sister's disability when I call and make the reservation. Anything to help make my Sister's trip more enjoyable. This is all new territory for me. I have never plan a trip for someone with a disability. The last time she went mobility wasn't an issue for her. So again I thank you for the help..