PDA

View Full Version : Carry-on meds for a diabetic

IloveJack
07-13-2007, 08:25 AM
I see nothing about this on the TSA site, so I thought I'd see if anyone here had any experience with this...

My dr. gave me a new medication to try at my appt. last night. It's really new, and he gave me a bunch of samples to try before actually prescribing it to me. It's in pill form, but in a blister pack. Since all prescription med. have to be labeled for a specific person, do you think I'll have any trouble getting through security with a sample pack of scrip. drugs, that's not labeled for me (since it wasn't actually prescribed?)? We're using ME, and it's not supposed to get hot, so I'm afraid to check it.

And while I'm asking... has anyone ever had trouble carrying-on a glucometer (lancets and all)? I can't imagine them thinking a lancet could be a weapon, but I don't want to cause any trouble. I haven't flown since 9/11, so it was no problem last time.

kcrc
07-13-2007, 09:15 AM
When we went to WDW last year, I had to carry on my son's allergy medicine. He has a peanut allergy, and we need to carry Benadryl and an Epi-Pen with us at all times. I got a letter from the prescribing doctor covering his condition and our need to carry the medicine with us. They never questioned it, but things have changed in the past year. Perhaps you could get a letter from your Dr. explaining the meds?

Polynesian Dweller
07-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Get a note from your Dr. if for no other reason than it will make things easier.

Diabetic supplies are no problem, Never had a problem with the glucometer and lancets. They know what they are and never restrict needed medical supplies.

Strmchsr
07-13-2007, 09:46 AM
:ditto: I definitely agree with getting a letter from your doctor just to avoid any potential issues. My DW flew with my DS6 who is diabetic in May (so after all this latest fuss) and didn't have any problem with his lancets.

mook3y
07-13-2007, 10:15 AM
I know for my albuterol inhaler, they require the label to be attached to it and the name had to match my ID. It was checked everytime I went through security.

Dyanna
07-13-2007, 10:54 AM
My husband is on insulin & we take his meds with us on our carryon with a note from the dr. In all our times flying we have never been stopped to have our bags checked.

Momof2boys
07-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Our DS9 is type 1 diabetic and we are always prepared with a note from the doctor to verify his condition. We always bring his insulin pen, needles, lancets, etc in our carryon bag in a clear Ziploc gallon sized bag. We always tell the TSA screener that there is diabetic supplies in our carryon but they've never removed it from our carryon or asked to see a letter.