PDA

View Full Version : 2007-08 NHL Schedule released

Donald A
07-12-2007, 11:16 PM
My wife and I are excited at the release of the NHL schedule last evening. The weekend after our Disney trip in January when we are driving right through Atlanta back home to Indy, my wife's team, the Penguins are playing the Thrashers saturday night. Now we can catch a game. :hockey: My wife is going to try to pick a cheap hotel near the arena. She is thinking the Super 8. Anyone know the area?

Movieguy
07-13-2007, 12:18 AM
I'm just happy for one thing right now...that the Penguins have Sydney Crosby, and are a contender again for the first time in years.

Other than that...I think the NHL needs two things to survive...They need a new commissioner, and they need to contract some teams, mainly those in cities that have no particular interest in hockey.

Also, this may seem a little insensitive, but...the NHL also needs more star players whose names the average American can pronounce, hehe.

Just my opinion. =D

Donald A
07-13-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm just happy for one thing right now...that the Penguins have Sydney Crosby, and are a contender again for the first time in years.

Other than that...I think the NHL needs two things to survive...They need a new commissioner, and they need to contract some teams, mainly those in cities that have no particular interest in hockey.

Also, this may seem a little insensitive, but...the NHL also needs more star players whose names the average American can pronounce, hehe.

Just my opinion. =D

You are right:
1) Sid the kid is great for the game, and despite being a Cleveland fan, I like the Penguins as there is not a hockey team in Cleveland.
2) Bettman is not too bright. The NHL awards show was in Canada and shown on delay due to technical problems. I was interested, but I knew who won by the time it aired. Even people remotely interested, were turned off.
3) The NHL does need to do a better marketing job. Hockey here in Indianapolis is weak. People have no clue who Sidney Crosby even is. I grew up in Cleveland with minor league hockey and second to football it is my favorite sport.

Ian
07-13-2007, 11:27 AM
I agree Bettman is a moron. I can't imagine how a guy who's basically run his sport into the ground is still allowed to remain at the helm.

Hockey before he took over was far more popular than it is today. Heck, when I was a kid Philly was all about the Flyers ... now they're an afterthought ... marginally more popular than the Sixers maybe, but definitely far behind the Eagles and Phillies.

First off, he's ruined the game with the new rules that so obviously favor the European-style players. What most core fans loved about the game was its overt physicality and, yes, no matter what anyone wants to admit, the brawling. It was unique ... like no other sport. Watching guys crash into boards and claw and scratch their way around the ice was fun.

Now it's like watching a bunch of guys showing off how well they can skate and oh yeah there's that puck thing, too.

MMouse6937
07-13-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't mind some of the new rules, but I do agree that it has taken away some of the things that used to make hockey "hockey". I liked myself a good brawl and though you can still see them, it's isn't as nitty gritty as it used to be. The whole shootout thing drives me crazy. Exciting, yes, but it's not the point. Hockey is supposed to have ties, it's the way it's always been. Putting that much pressure on the goalies to win or lose the game is crazy. I wish we got more hockey info here, if it doesn't have to do with the Lobos (Dodos as my DH and I call them) it doesn't exist. I'll have to go on some websites and check the schedule. I also want to know if Eddie Belfour retired or not....love him. :hockey:

WDWfanatic742
07-13-2007, 12:49 PM
They need a new comish and better marketing. Simple as that. That panthers down here (even though they haven't made the playoffs in years), aren't even mentioned anywhere on TV during the season. It can still get busy on occasion at the arena, but it's basically the fans from the other team that live down here.

WED1901
07-13-2007, 03:49 PM
I just hope we still have a team!

Go Preds!

JPL
07-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Lots of excitement here with the New Arena and now a new coach. Looking forward to the start of the season :thumbsup:

Movieguy
07-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Well, I for one think they should either keep the shootout, or find an alternative, like continuous overtime...Americans by and large dislike ties in professional sports, which is why Soccer has never caught on here. I know I've always found them irritating. I spent all that time watching the game, and I want to see a winner. :)

And WED1901, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The Preds are winning, they're getting noticed, and probably building a fanbase as we speak. So, I highly doubt they're going anywhere.