PDA

View Full Version : Plan of attack for parks in Sept.- What do you think?

cjb121879
07-12-2007, 12:30 PM
My extended family and I just came back from a week long trip in June and because we were staying off-site, did not feel it was worth it to do a mid-day break (though some days we would have liked to due to heat and crowds). So instead we just pushed ourselves to finish everything we wanted to see and often got back to our villa very hot and tired.

Since the BF and I are staying at POP this September (15th-22nd), I am debating the efficiency of a mid-day break. I would like to do this (especially because I know he is not particularly anxious to rush around from ride to ride like a lunatic, the way I normally operate:blush:) but with the shorter hours in off season, (MK is generally open from 9-8 during that week, Epcot from 9-9, MGM from 9-8 and AK from 9-5) is the break worth it? I am thinking specifically of visiting a few of the parks on days on which there is no evening EMH. Is this break feasible on those days (with a park being open just from 9-8)?

I'd love to hear from people who have done this, including what time they initially got to the park (opening or later), what time they left for mid-day break, what time they went back, etc.

Alternately, instead of getting there at park opening (which would be a stretch for BF), do any of you get there a bit later and just stay until closing? Are fastpasses for the big attractions still available then? Are standby wait times out of control by then? I know this would be true in summer, but trying to gauge all of this for mid-September. My hope is that I can make this a less stressful trip for my BF than the one I had in June with family(though we had a ball anyway), especially since I had to talk him into going in the first place. Anyone who has gone during this time- I'd love to hear about your plan of attack!

January-2007
07-12-2007, 12:43 PM
We love mid day breaks. DH and I are 23 with no children and we still take the breaks. The parks get so busy right there in the middle of the day that we just don't see it as a good place to be. We generally head to the parks at opening, stay until 11 or 1, go back to the resort to either sleep, watch tv, swim, play in the arcade, just generally relax, and then return to the parks between 3 and 6, depending on if we sleep a lot or not. We like to go to the park with the Evening Extra Magic Hours, too, so that extends the "early" closing times. Even with going to the regular parks that close around 8, as long as you're back in the park by 4, there's still plenty of time to enjoy yourselves!

When I was younger I would just "go! go! go!" but I would be so completely drained by the end of the week that I wasn't having much fun. Now that we take breaks and go at a little bit of a slower pace (at times) we enjoy our entire vacation more, not just the first few days. Last trip my feet didn't even hurt! (Okay, I think Crocs have something to do with that... but resting does too!)

In the end it's totally up to you, but as for us, we love mid day breaks. Happy planning!

Lizzie
07-12-2007, 01:13 PM
I think the key thing is to be flexible, relax have fun and don't be stressed if you don't do everything. Its just an excuse for another trip.

Most days will get up early hit the park at opening go back at noon for a nap and swim and hit the park with emh for for the night. But on some days will need to sleep in a little and just stay at the park all day and skip the afternoon nap.

ryca1dreams
07-12-2007, 01:28 PM
We are late 30s - one kid. We try to hit the parks early (just after opening) and stay for most night EMHs at EPCOT and MK.

Our main "break" if any comes from park hopping. We will normally hop between parks once every day. It's a nice change of scenery and a breather at the same time.

Other than that, we just take it easy, enjoy life, and don't get too worked up about anything.

ryca1dreams
07-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Alternately, instead of getting there at park opening (which would be a stretch for BF), do any of you get there a bit later and just stay until closing? Are fastpasses for the big attractions still available then? Are standby wait times out of control by then? I know this would be true in summer, but trying to gauge all of this for mid-September. My hope is that I can make this a less stressful trip for my BF than the one I had in June with family(though we had a ball anyway), especially since I had to talk him into going in the first place. Anyone who has gone during this time- I'd love to hear about your plan of attack!

To answer your questions specifically, you can still find plenty of FPs even if you arrive just after opening. Some of them may be for later in the day, but why worry?! We have always been able to get on everything we wanted to. Mid-Sept is a low-crowd time to go. You will find lines on things like Soarin', Peter Pan, etc. but it is nothing like June/July. It will be a much less stressful trip. Enjoy.

MMouse6937
07-12-2007, 01:53 PM
As a couple that goes to WDW every Sept we really never seem to need a "plan of attack". The parks are not very crowded and we really don't find the need to go commando. We most of the time get to the parks around 9ish and stay till a little after lunch. This allows us to ride at least most of the park attraction, or at least the ones that are most important and then go back to the room for a rest. We then arrive back at whatever park around 5ish when we have ADRs for dinner and stay till park close/fireworks etc.

We have hardly ever used fastpass and they are never out. The only attraction we used it for last time was Soarin. That was also the longest stand by line we waited in which was about 45 minutes. Nothing else was more than a 10-15 wait. This includes RnRC, TOT, all the mountains, etc.

I think you will find things very relaxed. We went the first year thinking we were going to have to hit things hard to see everything we wanted to see and found that this was not the case. Now we take it easy and still get everything in that we want. It's a great time to go. Good luck, and have fun! :thumbsup:

chick20679
07-12-2007, 02:01 PM
We are going to WDW a few days after you! (we're there the 17th - 23rd)
I'm also sort of in the same situation as you... BF not particularly an 'early bird'. (this will be his first time!)
However, my plan is to get to the park at opening on some days, and take a mid-day break on those days, and then on other days, sleep in and not take a mid-day break. That way, the day after a night at Pleasure Island or Boardwalk we can sleep in a bit. I a real 'planner' and I think this should work out fairly well. The days that we plan on staying for EMH at night are the days we plan on taking a break. Anyway, that's our plan. Hope you have a great time!!!

Clotho
07-12-2007, 05:56 PM
As a couple that goes to WDW every Sept we really never seem to need a "plan of attack". The parks are not very crowded and we really don't find the need to go commando. We most of the time get to the parks around 9ish and stay till a little after lunch. This allows us to ride at least most of the park attraction, or at least the ones that are most important and then go back to the room for a rest. We then arrive back at whatever park around 5ish when we have ADRs for dinner and stay till park close/fireworks etc.
ETC ETC ETC and more stuff I Agree With Completely

Hubby and I went in Sept last time, and are going in Sept again this time. We talked to other people in line on attractions and on buses who go this same time every year, and they say September you just don't have to worry the same way you do at busier times. It's not so frantic, fastpasses don't tend to run out, crowds are lower in general, wait times are easy peasy 15 minutes or less, etc.

It is very very hot, though. So an afternoon break will still feel great. We would hit the parks about 10am (we are night owls, so this is EARLY for us on vacation! LOL) and go until maybe 3pm. Then we would head back to the room, maybe shower, maybe nap. Usually at least change into some fresh tees or splash some water on our faces and watch a little TV or read e-mail or upload photos while we cooled off in the room. Then back out for our evening park about 5:30/6pm, dinner, and night at DTD or whatever our chosen late-night destination was.

We didn't play in our pool last trip (Boardwalk), but fully intend to hit the pool this time (Polynesian). We will likely use this as our afternoon break a couple of times.

I personally can't imagine being at the park at park opening. I think it's fine for people who enjoy their vacations on that kind of schedule (some people are naturally morning people. Some are so conditioned by an early work schedule, they don't go off it during trips. Etc) On vacation, we want to stay up late, sleep in, and generally take things at a more leisurely pace when we can manage it.