PDA

View Full Version : California Grill worth 2?

kbvette
07-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Okay, so far we have ADR's for Boma, Crystal Palace, Chefs de France, Ohana, and California Grill. I was looking at the menu for California Grill and the prices to me do not reflect 2 credits worth. They are comparible to 1 credit menus. My question is would you keep everything the same, or would you cancel california grill and book at 2 other restaurants? If you would book at 2 others, which ones?

Thanks!:mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
07-12-2007, 01:39 PM
I love California Grill. I would easily pay 2 credits to eat there.:mickey:

faline
07-12-2007, 01:42 PM
California Grill is quite yummy! Between the food and the view, it definitely rates 2 credits!

Mickey'sGirl
07-12-2007, 01:45 PM
I'll likely get flamed for this one.

We ate at the California Grill in April -- had wonderful company, delicious food, and a fantastic view of MK and the fireworks. As much as we enjoyed our evening, I do not feel the food was spectacular. It was very very good, just not spectactular. 2 credits should be spectacular.

Spectacular for 1 Credit is the Kona Cafe at the Poly. I think you can use your credits more wisely there. Just my opinion.

SurferStitch
07-12-2007, 02:46 PM
CG is definitely worth 2 credits.

The food is more expensive than at 1 credit places.

There's an easy way to determine on your own:

Go to info central here and look at the menu items and prices for various restaurants you are dining at. Add them up. If your meal (including tax and tip) at CG costs more than two meals elsewhere, then yes, it's worth the 2 credits.

My meal at CG was more expensive than two average 1 credit meals, so it was worth it for us.

We used our credits at the most expensive 1 credit places, then saved 2 credits for CG and Narcoossee's, and payed OOP for the cheapest 1 credit meals. I calculated everything in Excel before we went on the trip to estimate food savings on the plan, and estimated a savings of about $700. We actually saved around $750 (still taking into account the higher rate for our Pop room and all other OOP dining expenses).

If you are only getting chicken or pork at CG, then no, it may not be the best use of 2 credits. DH and I had filet and scallops and expensive appetizers, so we really made out using 2 credits.

hootch
07-12-2007, 03:47 PM
board because I get so much information off of this one, but Mousesavers has a chart of the maximum cost of a meal under the dining plan for different locations.

Removed link

offwego
07-12-2007, 04:52 PM
I'll likely get flamed for this one.Spectacular for 1 Credit is the Kona Cafe at the Poly. I think you can use your credits more wisely there. Just my opinion.

Jenn, I love Cali Grill so I'm biased (and think the Kona is fantastic as well), however do find the view, and the service (at least when we have been) to be worth it for us. Mind you we were lucky enough to have ds "start the fireworks" when he was I think 7 and we just had a wonderful whole family birthday meal there so these things colour it for us. But the sushi (which I cannot get in my town for love or money) is worth it for me alone.

If you want an occasion night it's a really good choice.

Kairi_7378
07-12-2007, 05:10 PM
CA Grill is a good use of the meal plan. You get a wide variety of choices. You get an appetizer, entree, dessert, and non-alcoholic beverage with your 2 credits. You can have a flatbread, starter, or sushi as an appetizer. You can have the cheeseboard as either a dessert or an entrée. I’ve eaten at many restaurants in Philly and NYC and our dinner at the CA Grill really stands out. (And that's not even considering the view!)

Crow
07-12-2007, 05:39 PM
i just went in May for the first time and have ADR for Sept.
not sure if it would equal 2 credits for all...
but i loved it. the app alone was $19 sushi.
i will try a diff entree though.
id say yes. it actually frees up time for me to use a CS credit, as i dont always eat a cs,snak,TS type meals in 1 day.
CA Grill is on top of my list now, along w AP

DestinationWDW
07-12-2007, 06:12 PM
DH and I feel it is worth 2! More upscale dining with spectacular views, excellent service and you can dress up and enjoy a wonderful dinner in one of Orlando's/WDW's best restaurants. Have been 3 times and have not been disappointed yet!!!! :thumbsup:

GrmGrninGost
07-13-2007, 01:05 AM
To me it is definitely worth 2!! :mickey: Especially if you time it so you can watch Wishes while you dine!! :fworks: Fanstastic!!

Clotho
07-13-2007, 02:40 PM
I really feel like the cost of the DDP 2 credits is mainly for the location--the view and the atmosphere. So don't just look at the cost of the meal. Look at the overall experience. Think if they made it 1 credit! As it is, it can be tough to get a ressie there in busier times. If everyone could just use 1 credit anytime, it would be impossible to accommodate even a fraction the people who might want to eat there. So it's a math equation on the part of the management--combining all the elements of cuisine, cost, view, atmosphere, and plain ol' "prestige" (not the word I am looking for, but I think you know what I mean.)

That said, do I think it's worth 2 credits? Yes, for all these reasons. But not just for the food. Then again, I am from Seattle and the recipes were far from unique to me since they are based on common West Coast cuisine, and we can that along with get super fresh seafood and great sushi anytime.

I will say the server was nice, and the wine options were delicious. Our server was wonderful in allowing us to taste a variety of his favorite suggestions before choosing a bottle.

That said, I would likely spend 2 credits elsewhere, and pay for Cali Grill out of pocket, were I on the plan. The portions are large and rich, and I wouldn't really want two appetizers, two entrees and two desserts, and we would be buying a bottle of wine anyway. But that's me...

BethieTink
07-13-2007, 07:27 PM
I know I am in the minority on the CG, but I just didn't think it was all that when I went in May. The food was just okay, the Snake in the Grass was very good, but I have certainly had better filets and Chocolate and Strawberry dessert was good. My friend was also not that impressed with it. This was the last night of our trip and we had already dined at BOMA, Jiko and Artist Point and the CG was the fourth ranked dinner overall. I won't be going out of my way to go back, but will do anything to go back to Artist Point, Jiko or BOMA.

Just my :twocents:

dolphinmickey9170
07-13-2007, 07:40 PM
We will be going to Cali grill for the first time in August. I feel that 2TS credits will be worth it when you look at the cost of each course of the meal. But, if you are truly worried about using your credits, you can always use the 2 TS for one person and pay for the other person to get just an entree and split an app and dessert. This way you still have 2TS credits to use on another meal elsewhere. Just let your waitstaff know and they will assist you. It works great as we have done this at other 2TS meals. Have fun.

Natazu
07-13-2007, 08:43 PM
California Grill's food quality, atmosphere, and service far surpass the 1TS restaurants. It is definitely worth 2 credits. As far as menu prices go, our bill at California Grill is routinely at least $145 including tax and tip, well above any 1TS place we go to regularly. And that's without sushi!

OogieBoogieMan
07-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Absolutely worth 2 credits, everyone has their own opinion but this is a no brainer for me. Atmosphere and food make it a must see and using 2 credits is a bargain versus what you might pay otherwise.

countrycharmer
07-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Yes, Yes, Yes!!!