PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas to prevent blisters?

dyin tago
07-12-2007, 11:25 AM
we have been to disneyworld 3 times and return this sept for 14 days.
I am fine but dw always develops a lot of blisters after a day or 2. we have tried powder,different kinds of shoes with no luck.
does anyone else have this problem and possibly have any ideas?

cubbie
07-12-2007, 11:42 AM
My best solution would be to put some moleskin on your feet if you feel a blister developing. It's amazing how well that works. If you can't find any moleskin, applying vaseline to the affected spots at the end of the day can be incredibly soothing. Just a few suggestions.

Dreamin_of_Disney247
07-12-2007, 11:42 AM
My DS always seems to get blisters too when we go to WDW. I was told by our family physician to use Mole Skin. You can find it at any retailer such as wal mart or any drugstore chain like rite aid. It is located near the foot care products. It is a padding that is very soft on one side and adhesive on the other, Wherever her shoes are rubbing simply stick this in the shoe or sandal at the location that corresponds to her blisters. I have found this to be a lifesaver for DS and for myself. There's nothing more painful than blistered heels! Hope this helps!:mickey:

satchel01
07-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Bring a couple different pairs of shoes that will give the sore spots a break every other day. Also gives them a chance to dry inbetween. moisture+rubbing = blisters!!

Band-Aid brand blister pads are special cushy pads that you leave on until the blister heals. I find them extremely effective, only problem is that the ends like to curl so I bring regular bandaids to fix this. They can be worn in the shower & if you remove correctly do not hurt even if you already have a blister.

Whatever she chooses to use, apply at the first sign of redness. Don't wait until the blister is there.

Moisture wicking socks can be found at most retail stores by the socks, or in the athletic dept.

I wore Crocs last time and had a blister (just ONE!!) the first 2 days. I used the BandAid blister pads and it went away and the rest of the trip I was able to wear the Crocs with no bandaids or anything and no blisters. It was great!!

Good luck to her, I feel her pain.

Pocahontas
07-12-2007, 11:54 AM
I've found that putting a bandaid on the area that tends to get a blister (before one starts), has kept me from getting a blister. This has worked for me, but I think I'll try the moleskin next time and see if that works as well.

sleepingbooty
07-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Trust me, this works:
Rub antiperspirant on your feet before you head out in the morning. The stick kind, not roll on or clear gel. It sounds weird, but not only does it keep your feet cool and dry, but it prevents friction. I always do this and never once gotten a blister!

sgdisney
07-12-2007, 01:44 PM
I get really ugly blisters on the bottom of my toe next to my little toe. Seems to do with the way my feet are shaped. Every trip to Disney has produced sore blisters and the Bandade blister pads applied before hand seem to help the most. This year I'm trying a little preventive medicine and began walking regularly 2-3 miles a day about 5 days a week about a month ago. After the first few days, the ugly blister was there. It is now healed and and I have a nice callous where the blister normally is and hope this prevents blistering next month while at WDW. Another thing I have used that has helped is toe separators, these little gel like things that fit between your toes. You can use them over and over. I found some in a drug store outside of WDW on our first visit, but have never seen them anywhere locally.

sillyolbear
07-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Body Glide is a product that has worked great for me. You can usually find it in sporting goods retailers like Dick's or at stores that cater to runner's.

Lizzie
07-12-2007, 03:14 PM
I would try what other have suggested. But also rotating between different shoes seems to work the best for me. I did this the last trip and found that my feet only started hurting on day 11 and on all other trips my feet were killing me by day 3.

TikiGoddess
07-12-2007, 09:12 PM
The guys behind the Unofficial Guide (the ones who test out touring plans etc) swear by Duct Tape. Works like a charm! :D

I haven't tried their method, but I do my own thing -- I wear my running sneakers that I know will not give me blisters in the morning, and then switch to sandals in the afternoon. This gives my feet time to cool off and prevents wear in the same places. I also love socks made of Cool Max.

TikiG

LuvAllPrincesses
07-12-2007, 09:25 PM
I have always gotten blisters at WDW with any sneakers that I have had, whether worn in or not. This past year, I decided to rely on two brands of shoes: Crocs and Tivas (sandals). I also took along mole skin, which I had used before with success to put on after I felt blisters beginning to form, but with these two types of shoes - not even the beginning of a blister for 10 days!

disneyfan328
07-12-2007, 11:25 PM
I asked this elsewhere and didn't really get a good answer so I thought I'd try again here. Is there any difference between moleskin and molefoam? both made by Dr. scholls? Also are you to cut this to size and stick it (adhesive side) to the shoe or to your foot? There really aren't directions on there except that it sounds like you put the stickey side on your foot? Or am I just being dumb. wouldn't that make it stick to the sore skin? so then i thought well then you stick it to the shoe and hope it stays? Someone that has used this has to have the answer. Thanks maybe its just late ????

LoriMistress
07-13-2007, 12:17 AM
I would suggest six months before your trip to break in a nice pair of walking shoes. And do lots of walking before your trip. Also bring plenty of socks.

little disney lovers
07-13-2007, 06:30 AM
They are not the most girly looking shoes, and I know I'll be crucified by all of you, but personally I think Crocs are downright Ugly! :(
BUT...Everybody I speak to swears by them!
I gave in a bought my 2 DD's a pair each, they will not take them off. My DD6 always has blisters as she has extremely narrow feet, the moleskin does work to some extent. But since she's had her pink Disney crocs, not one problem! :thumbsup:
I am actually going to buy myself the Prima style crocs, they seem to be the most feminine, for our WDW trip next year.
When It comes to WDW and DL, Comfort beats fashion everytime!

CleveSJM
07-13-2007, 09:38 AM
I asked this elsewhere and didn't really get a good answer so I thought I'd try again here. Is there any difference between moleskin and molefoam? both made by Dr. scholls? Also are you to cut this to size and stick it (adhesive side) to the shoe or to your foot? There really aren't directions on there except that it sounds like you put the stickey side on your foot? Or am I just being dumb. wouldn't that make it stick to the sore skin? so then i thought well then you stick it to the shoe and hope it stays? Someone that has used this has to have the answer. Thanks maybe its just late ????

Molefoam is a bit thicker and has a latex foam layer. Moleskin does not have the latex but some cotton padding. Essentially the same unless you have a latex allergy. You cut to size and put on your foot in the area you usually get blisters. You really want to do it before you get a blister. It's more of a preventative thing than a cure. It will help relieve pain and heal but it's best at preventing especially for breaking in new shoes.

My DW is a dance instructor and my DD's all dance. It works. We should own stock in Dr. Scholl's...

pixiesmimi
07-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Last year I bought two new pair of walking shoes (Good Brands) and broke them in ahead of time. I went through every pair I brought with me last year and my feet still blistered and ankles and feet were so swollen, I almost went barefoot. I swear by Moleskin though. I carried this and bandaids with me and used when I needed to. This helped a lot. But this year in June, I wore Dr. Scholl flip flops and Disney Crocs. Never wore anything more comfortable! The only problem I had with the flip flops (which I had always avoided wearing to WDW) was the beginning of one blister. I put Moleskin on it and didn't have any other problems. I switched to Crocs the next day and had no problems at all. I had a hard time finding Moleskin this year after going to Wal-Mart and several Drug Stores and found out that it has really been replaced by the other Moleskin products as mentioned above. I finally found some at the Dollar Store. I don't go anywhere without bandaids and Moleskin in my bag any more, no matter what shoes I wear. My DGS 3 wore his Crocs the whole time and never a blister. Also, Avon has a stick glide that is specifically for putting on your feet to keep them from sweating and I use it when I wear my sneakers without sox.