PDA

View Full Version : I'm excited and feel guilty...

princessjojo
07-12-2007, 10:55 AM
This may be a little drawn out so please bear with me....

Well, my sister's MIL had asked me earlier this year to help her plan a trip for my niece, one of her other grandchildren and her sister to WDW. I was excited and jumped at the opportunity. She was planning a no holds barred vacation, wanting to stay at Poly or GF with DDP and good restaurant choices. But she never called or came by, even after I left her a couple of messages. I knew she wasn't in the best physical condition and assumed she had decided to postpone the trip. Last I heard she hadn't made the first plan.

Well, 2-3 weeks ago, sis calls me and says guess what....She told me all about the plans an "agent" made for her, for what I thought was an obscenely great cost. It really sounded too good to be true (13 people, 2 FW cabins, all with DDP for 8 days/park hopper = $4500). I questioned the validity of the agent, but her MIL was determined so I backed off. It really didn't fall into her original plan for 4 (Grandma, 2 kids, and her sis), but but she agreed initially. Now she had decided to keep reservations (2FW cabins) but is only paying for the 4 original guest. All others paying their own.

Anyway, as of last Sunday, she had made no ADR's or any kind of plans for anything other than BBB for my niece. She has all of these incredible plans in her head as to what they will do......THEY LEAVE IN 2 DAYS!!! I'm afraid they will be so disappointed and discouraged while they're there and really hate that for them.

Why do I feel guilty? Because my sister and her family along with my family are planning to go next June. We are currently planning "Planning Dinners" once or twice a month to decide on small things about the vacation, the first being this weekend to confirm actual dates and give her restaurants and menus so she can gather thoughts for our next planning dinner. I look so forward to next spring because I know that this way, with a little more planning, but not obsessive, that my niece will have a much better time than she will with Grandma. I tried to give her hints and suggestions for her upcoming trip, but it's really hard with so little time. The guilt is that I know she will have a better time when we go than when she goes next weekend and I sorta hate that. I hate that that is what her first Disney experience will be. But I can't wait to show her Disney in a better light, showing her that there is no way she will do it all, but she can do a lot of what she wants to do and still have a great time. I know that our trip next year will be a better trip, with less stress and I can't wait!!!

Am I a bad person for feeling guilty about this. I really am excited about having the opportunity of to show her Disney this way rather than her Grandma's way. I get to show her the trip that will be more fun. They just have too many things planned that I'm afraid will fall through and they'll all be disappointed when they get home. It feels so wrong, but so gratifying at the same time.

SBETigg
07-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Oh, don't feel guilty! You tried to help and she wouldn't listen. What can you do? Isn't it awful that we have all this Disney expertise and some people forge on ahead and ignore it? But it happens. And you know, they may actually surprise you and have an incredible time. It's WDW. Even if things don't go according to plan, it should be fantastic.

But you're right-- your trip will be so much better and your niece will be even more impressed.

Pocahontas
07-12-2007, 11:46 AM
I've also tried to help a family that had less Disney knowledge and they also chose to do things their own way. They were going without ADR's (on the dining plan) and thought "oh, will get in somewhere". That just seems really stressful to me and more of a hassle than it needs to be. I also felt guilty, wondering if I should have more strongly encouraged them to make ADR's. At the time ,I didn't want to push my opinion too hard on them. I know not everyone likes to plan things, but the dining plan without ADR's??? I never did ask them how everything went on vacation. I knew I'd really feel bad if I heard it made their trip less than magical.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-12-2007, 09:45 PM
You have nothing to feel guilty about. You tried to help and the Grandma didn't want it. Unfortunately, they won't have as good of a time as they would if they had listened to a seasoned person. Your niece will have a better time with you but hopefully she'll still have enough fun her first time that it won't sour her on Disney.

crazypoohbear
07-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Are you sure that the "agent" didn't make dining plans?

Too bad you couldn't tell your niece to ask when they check in so grandma will look silly. That way at least the concierge might be able to get them some reservations so your niece won't starve.;)
I don't blame you for feeling the way that you do. You tried to help, you called she didn't call back, I would love to hear how the trip went when they get back. perhaps you should invite her to your planning dinner so she can see how it's suppose to be done:):D

snifflesmcg
07-12-2007, 10:42 PM
There is no reason to feel guilty at all. Just think she will have a great time with grandma and have small expectations. When she goes with you, you can surpass them.

tinksmom02
07-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Don't feel guilty. You tried (harder than I would have, probably!) to give her advice and help her out. She chose not to take it. Her loss.

My brother and his GF went to Disney just a few weeks before we did (in Jan). I tried to help them out, give them some suggestions, but they brushed me off--they were staying with my bro's friend, who works at Disney, so they were expecting all kinds of behind the scenes perks.

Guess what? said friend had a new GF and barely spent any time with them at all! They still had a great time, but when we were comparing trips after ours, bro's GF told me that I was planning their next trip!

Long story, I know, but the point is that some people just have to learn from their mistakes.

Anyway, enjoy your planning!