PDA

View Full Version : DSLR Lense in Disney World

Mnchknbrat1982
07-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Hello everyone quick question here. I've got a DSLR Pentax ist D that I will be taking with me along with my p & s. I have 3 lenses for the DSLR the kit lense 18-55mm, tamron 28-80mm, and tamron 70-300mm. If you was to take only one lense which would it be?

I am thinking about taking the 28-80mm as it is a wide angle and has a little zoom with it. But I am not sure if this would be enough zoom for say the safari ride at Animal Kingdom.

Another question is what setting do you shoot in when doing fireworks and the night time parades in at Disney?

Diznee4Me
07-12-2007, 10:19 AM
If I was only taking one lens I would take the 70-300. This would allow you to zoom in on architectural details as well as take covert shots of your subject from a distance. By this I mean you are not right in there face with a lens where the subject feels they have to pose and the shots will be more candid. Unfortunately the safari ride is so bumpy the longer lens is going to be apt to make the photos blurry or out of frame, etc.

Fireworks taken with film need to be shot with a higher speed film (800 - 1000). Preferably use a smaller lens (your 28-80 should do) with at least a 2.8 to 4 aperature range shooting 30th to a 60th of second. Unfortunately under a 60th of a second you really need a tripod.

So all that being said the 28-80 would probably be your best overall camera if you are only taking one lens. In the past I have taken all of my lens and switched with each park. If I know I am going to be in any given park multiple times I take a different lens with each visit.

Hope some of this helps.

ginger19
07-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Definitely the 28-80. I only used my 100-300 a few times on my trip and could have gone without it completely. Most things could be famed ok with the wide angle. I tok over a thousand pictures!

I can't answer the fireworks question but I'm sure someone else will.

PlutoToo
07-12-2007, 07:13 PM
I have a Pentax ist too. I took 2 lenses. an 18-55mm for general shots, and a 70-300mm for shots of the animal, wildlife, castle celebrations, flag retreat (really anything where I may not be able to get close enough to get a good closeup. I did a good bit of switching back and forth, but the close pics of the castle celebration and all the wildlife was worth it. I think I took about 800 pics.

lindique
07-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Most of the time I use wide angle too. However, (just a suggestion) could you bring your telephoto lens on the trip, leave it in the hotel room, and just take it with you on the day you do animal kingdom? That way you won't have to lug around too much.

Altair
07-13-2007, 07:39 PM
For fireworks start at ISO 400 at f/8 for 1/60 of a second and go from there. If overexposed just increase shutter speed to 1/100. You don't need a high ISO since you are taking photos of bright light against a very dark background.