PDA

View Full Version : Watching Ride Videos on YouTube...

darthmacho
07-11-2007, 05:57 PM
I was watching the new PoC version on YouTube. In your opinion, does watching the ride through at home taint the real experience, or does it make you want to go even more?

Let's hear the opinions!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-11-2007, 06:05 PM
I even love watching all the old promotional DVDs because it makes me want to actually be there!

KAJUNKING
07-11-2007, 06:26 PM
i really like to watch the ride videos at home, although its not even close to being there it does fill the void a little, and just so you know if you use google video it will get you the google and youtube results, i dont know if youtube gets you the google results, and i would not suggest for a first time visitor to watch before thier trip unless they really wanted to know what they were getting into

EvilQueen2006
07-11-2007, 06:28 PM
i wouldn't watch something I had never been on yet. i was so tempted to watch everest before my last trip, but I didn't want to spoil the surprise. I love watching the rides otherwise.

'Guest' of the MasterControlProgram
07-11-2007, 06:28 PM
I've only watched things I've already experienced. I do think there might be a ruining effect if I see it online first. But afterwards, then 24/7 streaming of the ride video is fine. It's also nice to relive MrToad - a childhood favorite that went away before my return as an adult. :mad:

And its interesting to see what kind of videos people get on rides that I would not think that it is a good idea to try and tape with consumer handheld eqpt (as opposed to pro stuff rigged in place) for everyone's safety and the safety of the gear. I'm talking ToT and RnR for example. And it is clear from those attempts that it wasn't worth the risk. .... :secret: but yet I feel compelled to watch, adding to the incentive for people to try taping and posting such acts. :blush:

SBETigg
07-11-2007, 07:07 PM
I don't know if it taints the experience, but I find it boring and not the same as being there at all. I've tried to watch a few different ride videos and it's always a let-down for me. I do like watching the ones that show various park locations, just not the actual rides.

LoriMistress
07-11-2007, 09:26 PM
I personally, don't mind watching the videos. I'll watch from time to time, but not often. Though, my DH won't watch the rides, because it just ruins the experience.

snifflesmcg
07-11-2007, 10:04 PM
I Love watching rides on Youtube! But I only watch ones I've already been on. I would never watch one of something I have not. It's great to see the Main St Electrical Parade, Horizons, Mr Toad's, things that are now gone. I even saw the best, um..."trip report"? I sat and watched an 8 part video (each clip ran 7-13 min) of two couples in WDW. It was hysterical! It really felt like you were there with them.

JPL
07-11-2007, 10:30 PM
I am not a huge fan of youtube since alot of the videos are poor quality. But I do have other sources of ride videos and plenty of DVDs that i watch when I am bored. The only time I will not watch a video of a ride or attraction is before I experience it. I do make exceptions for example I would watch a video of the Subs at DLR since I don't have a trip planned there anytime soon. But I did not watch the HD copy of Grand Fiesta Tour until after I rode it :mickey:

Darin M
07-11-2007, 11:18 PM
I love youtube Disney World ride vids. It all started by looking up Tomorrowland Transit Authority. Since then I've been watching POTC and SM so many times. I also love watching the Disneyland rides too. The ones we'll never get in Orlando. I wont watch rides I haven't been on yet. (ex. Gran Fiesta Tour)
When I go next month to WDW with my girlfriend we won't be able to ride Spaceship Earth. My favorite. So, I have been getting my fix by watching the SSE ride before I go to bed at nights. Same for HM.

Tink#64
07-11-2007, 11:51 PM
I Love watching rides on Youtube! But I only watch ones I've already been on. I would never watch one of something I have not. It's great to see the Main St Electrical Parade, Horizons, Mr Toad's, things that are now gone. I even saw the best, um..."trip report"? I sat and watched an 8 part video (each clip ran 7-13 min) of two couples in WDW. It was hysterical! It really felt like you were there with them.

That's hilarious - I watched it too! It was funny!I too use Google & search for video & it's always YouTube. I haven't tried it in reverse. I got the idea from a post on here about the video of the now closed water park - River Country. Oh my gosh, I never even went there & I got teary eyed watching it! My name is Shari & I am a Disney Freak!:blush:

Ms.Disney
07-12-2007, 12:23 AM
I love to watch rides on youtube!!! I have never been to DL so I like to watch rides from there! It's get and just like someone else said you can see old rides that have been closed.

dteed
07-12-2007, 01:15 AM
I have watched some but I could go either way on this, so I voted Neutral

BritCody
07-12-2007, 09:58 AM
It is like a quick Disney Fix. It isn't the same as being there but it is something. I also only watch rides that I have already rode in the past. New rides have to wait until the next trip

DisneyJunkie
07-12-2007, 10:45 AM
For me, I can't get enough. I'm either on there or on Google's and watching as many of the current or past ride videos as I can. It heightens the anticipation for my next trip, or makes me nostalgic for past ones.

CU Tiger
07-12-2007, 10:50 AM
I love watching these videos on the net. :thumbsup: If I have not ridden the ride yet, such as Everest, it increases my anticipation. :mjump: Since a video does not do the ride justice, it gives you just a little taste of what to expect and sometime what to look for. :mickey:

princessjojo
07-12-2007, 11:09 AM
It's so funny that you ask this. I was just doing this this morning. I use it to get excited sometimes, and often it gives me thoughts as to what I do and don't want to do. But I also know that some rides such as Primevial Whirl don't even compare to the video.

jpcns50
07-12-2007, 11:11 AM
I don't mind watching ride videos, but I will not watch a ride video if I have not been on the ride yet, including refurbs, like PotC. I have not been on the new version, so I won't watch it, but I do love watching Splash Mountain, for some reason that is my favorite ride video to watch!!

DVC2004
07-12-2007, 11:45 AM
I usually only watch if we don't have any trips planned and I am missing Disney. It's a nice pick me up sometimes.

Figgyluv03
07-12-2007, 12:18 PM
I admit it, I can't get enough. I know it's not the real thing and doesn't compare to the real thing, but at least I can get my fix until I get down there.

TinkInTraining
07-12-2007, 12:19 PM
How behind am I??? I didn't even know that you could see them online.

Every trip my husband always says that it would be so great for Disney to do a DVD with all the rides on it so you could experience it through out the year. I've yet to find one that has this, if I could download them and make my own video he'd be thrilled!

darthmacho
07-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Great perspectives from both sides of the debate. Here is my opinion:

I agree that the ride videos don't compare to the real thing in the least (thus it would never deter me from wanting to go to WDW)

I agree that the videos are exciting to watch because it gives me a sort of "fix" while I'm waiting to go. It plugs in the sights and sounds, and I mentally add the smells and tastes.

I do agree it's probably better not to ruin the surprise of new attractions, nevertheless, I've already viewed EE, Philharmagic, Soarin, the updated Pirates version, and other rides that I haven't actually tried yet. Curiosity just got to me. I can't help but feel like the kid who peeked at his Christmas gifts. (I'd do it again though)

pshokie
07-12-2007, 02:34 PM
I actually youtube'd a lot of rides before our last trip. It was the first one for our kids (DD-4, DS-1). While my DS is still at the age of "ooooo colors", my DD is at the "scared of..." stage. She is easliy frightened and is not a big thrill seeker. So I spent most of my time pre-screening rides. The wildest one she went on was Peter Pan. And the dark & the flying still spooked her a bit.

But I highly recommend any parent to do this. Better to not go on a ride that might be "too much" than to have a screaming child afterwards.

MickeysEars
07-12-2007, 03:49 PM
I am a big chicken when it comes to roller coasters so I watched an Everest one so I could get a feel for it.

Lizzie
07-12-2007, 04:37 PM
I really enjoy it for the sound effects.

mickey&missy
07-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't say I can't get enough but I watch them. It really is a "fix" as funny as it sounds! My favorite to watch is Wishes!

jszczur5
07-12-2007, 04:48 PM
We will be at WDW from 8/29/07 - 9/07/07, so are going to miss two of my favourite rides - HM & SSE. I keep my fingers crossed that HM might open a few days early, but there's no way that we'll be able to experience the new Spaceship Earth until next fall. I am eagerly awaiting those you-tube videos to fill me in on what I'm going to miss.