PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a photo storing/sharing website?

Disneyatic
07-11-2007, 12:58 PM
I am curious about the photo sharing/storing websites out there like webshots, photobucket etc.
I have SO many pictures stored on my computer right now that I think it is bogging it down and I have been trying to decide what to do with them. I think I am going to burn them all onto disks, but I want a back-up somewhere for the important ones....as a just in case.

What exactly is the purpose of webshots or photobucket or other types of sites like these?
Can you store unlimited pictures for unlimited time frames?? Do you recommend them?
Any other suggestions or tips on how you store your photos??

BelleBeauty
07-11-2007, 02:18 PM
I was using Yahoo photos which is closing, so I just recently switch to Shutterfly. I like having a back up for storage. I keep all of the files on my computer, but like to put them online. This way I can access them from anywhere with internet (to show friends/family or for work purposes) and I have versions of the photos online in case my computer crashes. Burning them onto CDs is a great backup as well, but it takes a lot of time and you have to keep the CDs in good order.

Also with the online programs, it is really easy to share entire albums with friends and family. If I go away with a group of friends, I will email an entire album to the group when we get back. Recently, I was able to compile pictures of my work and send it to a potential employer before an interview.

These sites almost all have software now as well, where you can edit pictures and put the pictures on various products. You can buy prints online that are shipped to you or you can pick up at local retailers (Target or Walgreens), they have software you put on your computer to create colleages or photo books, etc. There is a lot that you can do with this and I highly recommend it. There is no charge, so if you find you don't like one, just switch to another!

AZ Disney
07-11-2007, 02:45 PM
I too keep all my photos on my computer, but use several online storing sites such as Shutterfly, and Costco. I mainly use the sites for creating gifts during the holidays since they all have different products. I especially like the costco.com photo center (snapfish is the backend) for everyday use. I upload my photos, share them with family/friends, and can also print copies to be picked up at the wherehouse of my choice within an hour. The costco option is also great for holiday cards.
We recently took my DS's BF with us on vacation and I shared the album with his mom online, so she could pick and choose the photos she'd like and pay for them when she picked them up. She's a scrapper, so she wants hard copies.

Flower
07-12-2007, 01:29 PM
I am really bad for NOT backing up my photos onto CD/DVD - I really have to do that, I have even purchased a CD case for them, just have not saved them as yet.

As for online, I use webshots, mainly because I originally started using webshots several years ago and it was one of few options. I like webshots because I can change the status of my albums from public to private - in private mode I have to 'invite' people to view the album. As stated, because it is online I can access it almost anywhere.

I use Walmart alot to print photos and you can save albums on their site too.

There are so many good sites out there! I did not realize Yahoo was ending - I even have some photos there so I should move them.

Lizzie
07-12-2007, 03:46 PM
We use flickr and really like it.

ElenitaB
07-12-2007, 06:14 PM
I've used several different photo sites over the year's, including Kodak's (in its different versions and names over the years), Webshots and more recently, SmugMug. Of all the services I've used, I'd say that I'm happiest with SmugMug do to both the look/feel of the user interface and the look of the online albums. There is a yearly charge that I didn't mind paying at all due to what I feel is the quality of their service. Before I bought my last home machine, I had most of my photos stored on Kodak's site... we had a problem with my previous machine and lost some of my photos. I figured that I would be able to retrieve the photos (from our very FIRST trip to WDW) from the Kodak site... well, the answer was no because they erased the albums as they were "old." So much for preserving my memories on their site (sigh).

If you are interested in preserving the files containing and not so much in sharing your photos, you might want to consider an online back-up service. I'm a digital scrapper and have loads of stuff on my hard drive (not to mention all my music from iTunes). I'm investigating online back-up services now and will probably sign up for one by the end of the month.

conorsmom2000
07-13-2007, 07:10 AM
Of all the services I've used, I'd say that I'm happiest with SmugMug do to both the look/feel of the user interface and the look of the online albums. There is a yearly charge that I didn't mind paying at all due to what I feel is the quality of their service. Before I bought my last home machine, I had most of my photos stored on Kodak's site... we had a problem with my previous machine and lost some of my photos.

Ellen I was going to come and post about SmugMug too!! :blush: :thumbsup: I love SmugMug - I do pay for it as well (though, there might be a limited free service - I'm not sure) - but it's an awesome service. I recently found out that you can customize your pages - so, now I have a slideshow on my home page, my photo galleries, and a guest book. The whole site is totally customizable (is that a word? :D ) and very user friendly. I've been with them for over 18 months and have been very satisfied! :thumbsup:

ElenitaB
07-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Ellen I was going to come and post about SmugMug too!! :blush: :thumbsup: I love SmugMug
Didn't mean to steal your thunder, as it was YOU who turned me on to SmugMug with the great photo albums you included with your trip reports! :notworth:

conorsmom2000
07-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Didn't mean to steal your thunder, as it was YOU who turned me on to SmugMug with the great photo albums you included with your trip reports! :notworth:

Don't worry, you didn't! :D I was just happy that you were as pleased with the service as I was - it's always a little nerve wracking refering things, but I knew SmugMug was a good service! :mickey:

JanetMegan
07-13-2007, 10:23 AM
I have used Kodak Gallery (formerly ofoto.com) for about 6 years now for photo sharing and storage. I haven't had a bit of trouble from them. The service is free and they store your pictures forever if you make at least one purchase a year I believe. They often run 10 cent print sales which I use to really stock up on my prints. They also offer great other photos products.

dolphinmickey9170
07-14-2007, 10:58 PM
I use webshots......check out my home page, this way you can look around and best of all its free.

snifflesmcg
07-14-2007, 11:07 PM
I love photobucket!!! I love loading pics in and sending them to my friends and such. They work great for myspace. I would suggest using a photosharing site. I'm always worried that my house will burn down and I'll lose all my pics, lol. They are easy to keep track of as well.

Donalds Duckie
07-15-2007, 09:56 PM
I have used Kodak Gallery but I am currently using Snapfish.