PDA

View Full Version : Newbies during Peak Season

MrPeetrie
07-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Hey gang, my best friend is taking his family on their first trip to WDW this week (DW, DD5, & DS 18 months). He's been asking me for advice, but I've never been there in the summer. For me, it's always May, October, or December. They'll be there five days, spending 1/2 day at MGM, one day at AK, and splitting the rest at Magic Kingdom and Epcot.

What kind of advice do you have for first-timers during peak travel season? I told him to get his Soarin' fastpasses early, because I've read here they're gone rather quickly. What other useful information can I pass him

Once again, thanks for your advice!

Joanna
07-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Get up early! Go early! Then, when it starts getting really hot, and the crowds are beginning to arrive--around 11:30am, schedule a leisurely sit-down lunch and then go back to your hotel or to a water park and take a break! Return to the parks or to an evening activity (dinner) after 5. I think this is the BEST advice and I try to follow it every trip.

Rayadragon
07-11-2007, 05:36 PM
I agree completly with the previous poster. Even Disney vetrans can find it hard to deal with the mid-day heat, and I'm sure they last thing they want are hot and crankey children. Leaving the park before noon and getting back in by around 3 or 4 would be a great thing.

Also, I'm assuming that they have at least some plan of attack? When hearing from other newbies here, the biggest issue seems to be a lack of idea of what the most important things are for them to see and what they want to do for food. As long as they have some idea of what they're doing, I think they'll be alright.

MrPeetrie
07-11-2007, 07:44 PM
They have an idea of some rides they want to see, like TOT, E:E, Soarin', POTC.

LoriMistress
07-11-2007, 09:53 PM
First, give them some advice, but it's up to them to plan their own vacation. Depending on what weeks and what month. I would suggest they arrive early in the parks:

Make any ADRs at exactly 180 days out.

Book their rooms ASAP.

Make sure they take breaks during the late morning/early afternoon and arrive back at the parks by 5pm, expecially if they have young children. They can beat the lines, crowds, and heat while they take a nap at the resort or swimming at the pool.

Use FP! FP! FP to your best advantage. Oh, and did I meantion FP?

MrPeetrie
07-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Actually, LoriMistress, they're leaving this Saturday. They only have two ADRs and are on a dining package. I will give them all the advice you've provided me tomorrow.

casey@bat
07-11-2007, 10:11 PM
You could get a map of MK and actually help them with a plan. I did that for a friend and drew a line showing where they should go. It really helped them!

mickeys_princess_mom
07-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Get a good stroller(as in easy to navigate, and easily collapsed for bus rides...), or rent one there and deck it out with a battery operated fan...Grab some water misting small fans from WM for the parents (attach to strap of purse and slide as needed)....Make sure kids have some cool fabric (towel?) to lay on in the heat...I've heard some parents freeze baggies flat, and put under towels, etc. Drink, drink, drink. Sunscreen. Duck in and out of the AC. Definitely take a break in the middle of the day.
If they're short on ADR's, do try calling daily for restaurants--we had good luck changing our plans this way, or hit the place you want to go right at opening time, and give it a try. Good luck!:wave: